***URGENT READ THIS!!!**** Australian import laws!!

Cool23

Famous Member
A law now being enforced here.

As of now the Australian Government have decided to restrict the importation of modified cars built prior to 1989!! original or restored vehicles are exempt, however if the car was modified before 1989 and you can prove it, it will be allowed in but if it was modified after 1989 it will not be allowed in!

Here is a release from the ASRF(Australian Street Rod Federation) on the matter -

http://www.asrf.org.au/docs/Import-Bulletin-001.pdf

and further pages on the HAMB forum -

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... p?t=472736

Hey, we really need more rules and regs being enforced, don't we?

It's about smart as the new NSW laws forbidding repairable write-offs.

Australia --The Land of Many Laws

As individuals, Aussies are a great folk, with a huge sense of independence and individuality. Interesting dichotomy, when everything I read indicates a meddlesome and intrusive government in almost every aspect of life.

It is very sad; most people could readily run their lives without all the lawmaking, yet it cows people into a fear of presenting resistance. We don't have the same mechanisms of protest as in the US, either.

As a note on officiousness, I was recently apprehended at a regional airport for acting suspiciously. What was I doing? Walking up and down the concourse casually before my boarding call, trying to stay awake after two weeks of almost non-stop work. The dichotomy of it, is that not only was the matter resolved in about forty-five seconds but I could have probably picked up more work locally after talking to the Federal agent about my preferred customers... :roll:

addo":nwnnnui3 said:
Hey, we really need more rules and regs being enforced, don't we?

It's about smart as the new NSW laws forbidding repairable write-offs.

Restored and Original cars are ok. Anyone with a car on the way will get caught out with send it back or see it crushed. The best way to bring a car into the country now is to strip it and ship it as parts.

Best make a complaint to you local Federal Member.

Addo, I know what you mean about repairable write offs. :roll:

Sounds pretty bad. Why is the Australian Government (whatever party) does heavy handed, over the top stuff like this. Another example are mandatory energy efficiency standards and banning of incandescent lamps (GLS).

Most of us in here play with motor cars, and often they're older models - we must be very bad people. The government must step in and stop us. :stick:

wagon":3azjmpfo said:
Why is the Australian Government (whatever party) does heavy handed, over the top stuff like this.
Reminds me of the joke "Why do dogs lick their ****?" Answer being the same for either question? :roll:

What frustrates me the most, is how much it stifles both creative cottage industries and upcoming talent.

addo":239hlfaw said:
What frustrates me the most, is how much it stifles both creative cottage industries and upcoming talent.

Not just that but the modified car industry also helps the car industry with development as Both Ford, GM and Toyota have used many smaller business places (cottage Industry as Addo called it) to develop many things for example LPG injection systems.

yet again another clever idea :(

what does Australia & McDonalds have in common

Both are run by a red haired clown

:LOL: That is not bad but sadly we have to blame the fellow she replaced for the import hassles.
Have heard more stories lately about see it crushed or send it back. :shock: simply because people did not have paperwork to prove it was modified before 1989.

The "Cash for Clunkers" program in the US was a law similar to this (road, good intentions and paving..). If you had a car less than 25 yrs old (classic designation in US) and older than 5, and you bought a new car with at certain MPG improvement they would give you like $5,000 or something, then ruin the old car but running it with chemicals in the engine, then crushing it.

Now, lower middle class or poor families have no newer, safer, more efficient used cars to replace their older, more dangerous gas guzzlers with, cause the used car market is so bare and prices are up. so instead of getting rid of the worst cars, they got rid of moderate cars from middle class and higher families that could afford a new car, ruining a perfectly good one, and forcing lower income families to keep using pollution monsters.

Makes no sense.

I hear you Funky Cricket.

The Greens are trying to bring in Clash for Clunkers and even used the same US name.
Idea is to give you $2000-00 for your clunker towards a news car. Sadly the people who need to get rid of clunkers can not afford a new car. The (Sad) outcome here is how it has bad affects on the Automotive hobby people both modified and restored. As we all know Hobby car owners look after what they own and should not be called clunkers. The clunker law it it comes about would also dry up a source of parts for thoes older collectable vehicles.

The Hung parliment at the moment is not helping the import issue. :roll:

Back