Steering column bearing

wagon

Hello ladies & gents,

I've got a stuffed bearing in the steering column of my XE. It's the one at the top....

Now, Ford want $82 for it, I think that's a bit expensive. Has anyone got a 'generic' part number or the dimensions so I can toddle along to the local bearing shop?

Thanks a lot!

Wagon.

$82 thats a bit steep. Take the bearing to an industrial/bearing supply place. They should be able to match it up for you

I was hoping someone had one they could measure up- otherwise I'll have to wait until I pull it to pieces, means my car is off the road for extra time.

If I do find a 'generic' replacement I'll post the details here so others don't go through the same grief.

Isn't it a slightly odd bearing? Have you the column apart? Has it changed since the XY era (wondering about the endless supply of Mustang bits for less than $82).

If all else fails, can Rashie or Fingers cut you a better deal?

The generic upper bearing for a Mustang is only about $10 from NPD. It's .750, IIRC. There's a pic in their catalog.

http://www.npdlink.com/

There's an interactive catalog. If you go to the Mustang catalog, look under "steering", find the bearing (3517-1 or -4), and double click the part number, it generates an order page with dimensions of the bearing.

If you have the old bearing, isn't there a local bearing supplier who could provide something? Or a breaker with an old column?

I doubt there's much variation from one model to another on something like this.

I went to three bearing shops today... the last one told me I could get the bearing from them if I waited 6 months... there was no cost available or minimum order quantity known. I gave up and got a serviceable part out of a wreck.

Odd size. Fail.

Thanks for your help!

Kendall.

Back