US 250 and Oz pre-crossflow 250 timing sets

'68falconohio

Does the US 250 and pre-crossflow Oz 250 have the same dimensions between camshaft and crankshaft?

In balldrick's thread in the turbo section, he's using a gear drive timing set for his pre-crossflow block made by Diecrest Engineering. I'm wondering if it will work on our US 250's as a a more robust timing set?

I havn't had any luck finding Diecrest or a listing anywhere for the gear drive being for sale.(using google.au)

Any insight appreciated.

Cheers,

Is the US 250 the same timing set as the 170/200.
Over here the early 200/170/221/144 us a different timing set to the later XY-XB 200/250
The early one is shorter

Stephen, they're sadly not compatible. Some years ago I tried to get this one worked out, but it ran to ground. A multi-keyway crank sprocket for your US timing set is the easiest tweak.

Definately not the same. The center to center of the crank to Cam is the same distance I believe, but the crank snout diameters are different.

I did a SBF double roller timing chain swap on my Wife's Falcon with a 250. There's a tread on here somewhere with the specifics.
It's isn't a bolt in set up for sure. It will take some modifications.

But it seems to work very well!
Later,
Will

Does10s, if the C to C distance is the same but the crank snout diameter is different(on a prayer, the aussie snout is smaller) I can bore and broach the crank gear, right? I saw the thread on your SBF swap, good stuff and thank you. Just checking and double-checking before I leave one option at the top of the list.

Thanks Addo, I'm afraid I'll have the same problems Does10s did with timing sets if I just change the crank sprocket. I only want to build this thing once and play for a long time.

The US 250 crank snout is the same diameter as a SBF. Hence the reason the SBF timing set work in our case. But as you already read, there's a lot more that needs to be done to get it to work.

As I recall, and someone from Australia will have to confirm.....the Aussie 250 (pre-crossflow) crank snout is the same diameter as the 200. (again I'm not 100% sure)

Mike as Classic Inlines along with someone in Australia was working on a US 250 roller setup. But I there was a bunch of issues that couldn't be resolved at that time. Hopefully Mike will chime in!

For our builds, we always had issues with that tiny little camshaft dowel pin. Remember it has to resist the drag of 12 lifters, 1 distributor, 1 oil pump, and the cam journals.
So if you go with a timing set that still uses that factory dowel pin, you'll always have that problem.

Later,
Will

Back