76 4.1 Crossflow dizzy needed in the US

xflowecono

I am in need of a Bosch breaker point type dizzy for my 76 4.1 croosflow. New, used, reconditioned, as long as it works properly. Anybody know of a source that is willing to ship one to the US. Sugestions of a parts supply house I could call?
David in Dayton, TX
Near Houston

on second thoughts - as i understand it the bosch POINTS dizzy is the same as the precrossflow - ie with respect to lenghth and shaft size - so you 'should' be able to fit a US dizzy - my understanding is that its when they went to electronic ignition in australia that the dizzy shaft size became smaller.
But you need to check - may save you buying from Oz

Hi David, what level of urgency is there, and what are you going to do with it - modify or just run "as is"?

Addo,
No hurry. Just want to get it running again in the near future.
GB500,
Thanks for the tip on the US dizzy possibly fitting. I have several US small six dizzys sitting in the shed. I will have to compare them to the Bosch.
David

As a last resort you could just find a US 200-250 distributor and have the lower drive section machined down to fit the block. IIRC, the US shaft is .505" and the Aussie shaft is .495". Just turn down the section below the gear and it will drop in. Verify those measurements, though. My memory ain't what I thought it used to supposed to be, ya know.... :(

From memory the bored holes were supposed to be either 490 thou or 530 thou. Does that sound right to you? ;)

I'll go measure the two I have in the garage. I just can't remember the shaft sizes, but I know that those are the only dimensional differences. Otherwise, the US dizzy will bolt right in. That would give you a DS II or a DUI option as well.

DSII sounds great. Very plentiful in the salvage yards for very little money and all parts can be sourced just about anywhere in the US. Will the larger diameter dizzy top and cap drop in without interference against the engine block?
64 Econoline van has the xflow 250. Very difficult to access the dizzy as the motor is mounted in a box that sits between the seats. Intake manifold sits right up against the left wall of the box. Dizzy has to be removed from the bottom of the vehicle.

Thanks for all the good ideas and options.

David in Dayton, TX USA

DSII will clear OK on a 250 but if clearance is tight you could use the early small diameter cap. Let me measure those things this evening.

Hi David. As Jack suggested, a 1974 Duraspark II ignition distributor that suits the T-code 200 and L-code 250 ci Mavericks would suit a DS2 body.

Standard Motor Distributor cap is FD124.

As for the rotor, the right one is possibly the Motorcraft DR87B, although there are FD118, FD110, and FD118T and FD110T parts as well.

If you don't want to use the common US Duraspark gear, PM me as I still have a stock 123 hp cross flow distributor.

Suits the stock 76-80 cross flow.

Std Motorcraft 78 DA-12100-AB. Bosch PN 9 280 062 651, stamped 931. Rotor is 9 231 064 312.

I can supply the distributor and rotor for free, but it has no cap. Caps aren't that expensive. Eveything from 1971 to 1980 used a similar distributor cap.

Back