EFI manifold clearance issues

Well being a yank the stock Xflow intake is being a pain to me. the runners won't clear the shock tower bracing on the fairlane (motor is on the stock mounts but sits on the swaybar and steering linkage so needs to come up making this worse)

I was thinking of using my spare EFI injector boss and rail to be paired with a fabbed plenum.

but then it hit me....just use the CAIN 4bbl intake I have with the stock fuel rail and have some injector bungs welded into it (or maybe epoxied since I cna do that at home)

I looked into a fabbed intake and it looks liek in materials I would have around $100 in a mild steel one or a couple hundred in a AL one (plus welding costs since I have no tig)

opinions? I was just thinking a cast AL elbow (since there are a dozen on the market) to take care of the throttle body (some are even dual pattern for a 5.0 or LS1 TB....could always use it on my truck if I swap intakes on it)

The Fairlane is not really a Mustang, as any associated Fo Mo Co compact or intermediate unibody using the original 1960 Falcon XK 2000 platform could have varying catwalk dimensions, variable spring tower spacings, fire wall dimensions. As you've seen from the Jack Collins Crossflow Chronical's, the spring braces on a 66 Stang just miss the 4.1 EFI X-flow intake runners.

Your way forward is to make the bare minimum modifications to get it to fit.

For me, that would be first taking out or modfiying the offending bracing, and using some Argentine Todo Falcon, Aussie baldrick or US/Holland Cobrasix style bracing. If that's not what you'd like to do, then second option is making six custom mild steel tubular tubes into the EFI XE-XF upper plenumb if you've got it.

The third option is going to the intergrated 3.9/4.0 liter OHC 1988-1993 EA-EB-ED or 1992-1999 XG/XH Ute Multipoint EFI intake . These are Mercedes Benz style, and can be made to fit. They are ideal for clearing spring tower braces.

The Jack Collins style X-flow is very shallow, and the Aussie OHC sits at 9.22 deck, vs 9.649 for the US 250, 9.38" for the Aussie 250 and just 7.803" for the US 200. So the US outrigger engine mounts might kiss the base of the OHC Multi intake.

But at least you've got some options to sift through. Good fortune with your project (y)

I looked into just redoing the shock tower brace but I also need to get the throttle cable working too.

thinking of ordering some bits from here

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/intakepartspage.html

I guess the expirment will be seeing if I can just use a wood router with an endmill to router out an intake flange (a couple MDF templets, some bushing guides and a bearing bit or two)

going to wait until I get back to the car next week and put the mockup motor back in and see how much room I have for a plenum. I have a LS1 throttle body I was holding on to for my truck but would work pretty good on the XFlow. I would have to toss a bung in there for the remote IAC but that should be about it.

haven't messed with this in the last year since I have been working out of state so I will see what I can get working.

Back