Crossflow carby?

papawfalcon

Im a in the US My 4.1 crossflow has a webber 2 barrell . The carby is not working I think it needs a kit.Not availible in the US. So for those of us that are in the US what is a good carboratortor run on 4.1. And can a electronic ignition be adapted to this engine.I understand Duraspark dist shaft is bigger than the x-flow block will handle.And the shaft could be turned down (I guess a a automotive machine shop) and if done in the US a guss at what it would cost.Thanks Ken N.

If you can afford it, I recommend you get either the 2Bbl or 4Bbl intake from Aussiespeed. They have a US website http://www.aussiespeedusa.com/ .
These intakes are designed for equal flow between the cylinders which is difficult for inline sixes.

As for carbs, guys in Australia are running either a 350CFM 2Bbl, or 465CFM Demon 4Bbl. Use a carb that has annular discharge, an Autolite 2100 or 4100, or Holley; these carbs work best on our engines. Check out Mike's carb dyno runs here: http://www.classicinlines.com/PCdyno.asp

MustangSix is using a US distributor on his Crossflow; he enlarged the distributor hole in the block. This would allow you to run any distributor you want, except for the DUI which is too tall and won't fit under the intake.

rocklord, wouldn't it require a completed tearr down to drill the block to get all the metal shavings out. thanks Ken N.

The best way is to tear the engine down.

You may be able to block the bottom of the hole with a rag and grease, then carefully drill the hole out.
Risky.

If you want to pay the freight I can send you an XE electronic dissy. 2 wire hookup..................

Nick, I'm not sure if I want the 4bbl. You tried to sell it when I got the motor.I got the two 2bbls.redxm that one of the problems parts are not expensive just the shipping can rob you.Any Idea on shipping?What box hookes to the dist.Thanks guys I really apppriciate the help. Will think over these parts. Ken N.

papawfalcon,
You could purchase/make a plate to install a 2Bbl on the 4Bbl intake. This would give you the option to upgrade to a 4Bbl in the future.

I will try and get a quote on postage. The dissy just hooks up to a standard ignition coil, fed as a 12v system.

PM me your address

Just had a rough guess, for a 2kg parcel is about $55
Let me know if you want to go ahead
cheers
ben

another option would be a loadamatic locked out and run a MSD timing box on it.

I think on my other XFlow I am going to end up honing it out for a large shaft....that is if I don't end up with some crazy setup on it.

Is the shaft dimensions the same for the xflow as the US 200/250? Is the only difference the block? Is the length of the shaft from the block mating flange the same as the 200? I have a xflow, but no dizzy and working on building one. I've ripped down the US dizzies to parade rest to get all the measurements for another project, but have nothing in hand to compare to the xflow.

The xflow shaft is smaller diameter than the early 170/200 sold here. Im working under the assumption that the oz 170/200 dissy is the same as the US 170/200
Cant help with the later US 200/250

Maybe I'm confused. I need to pop the cap on my dist. I thought if there was no box (dura spark) there would be point in the dist.Unless maybe Nick can remember what this motor is.I bought it from Nick a couple years ago.Is the cap and rotor the same as US or Aussie order only? Thanks for all your help.Ken N.

Points of difference for X-flows were gearboxes, bellhousings, distributor, carbs. Auto gearboxes were early 70's AMC 343/304 spec. Distributor was based around a Chrysler/Dodge truck item, carbs were Fiat/Chrysler Centura C 180/C200. So there are parts around for Falcon X-flows from other models.

All the rebuild components should be able to be sent to you by a willing helper from Australia or New Zealand. The parts are still around in the aftermarket for 2-bbl Weber equiped engines.

For the X-flow distributor, they still have parts ex Bosch for any Aussie Duraspark (branded Motorcraft, and with an integrated spark controll unit)

For the 1982-1987 carb rebuild on US soil, I think you could use the stock ADM 34 rebuild kit sold for US market Fiat X1/9 and Fiat 131/132 (1978-1980). These ran a similar ADM32 carb. The earlier 1-bbl carb found from 1980 to 1982 was a local Stromberg carb specific to Australia, and is something of an orphan, but it follows on from years of Chrylser/Dodge/Holden 1-bbl Stromberg carbs made from 1952 to 1981.

All 1982 to 1991 carb 3.3/4.1 X-flows have a return line Weber 2-BBL carb which is reliable and simple. It follows Mustang 4-bbl logic, with a cold fuel return line. The Falcon carb is Fiat 131/132 X1/9 based, and is integrated into the stock emissions system found in the Gregories # 226 workshop book. Really simple to sort.

If you'd like to run a more US friendly system, then I'd look at any 2-bbl Holley 2300, Holley Weber 5200 or Autolite 2100 or Motorcraft 2150. Problem is the new carb has to fit the confines of the existing 2-bbl or 1-bbl manifold. Additionally, if you use the stock automatic gearbox, a Borg Warner kickdown linkage is needed and an automatic choke.

If you want to use a US distributor items, just use the 1975-82 duraspark II from US 200/3.3 Ford I6 (or 75-80 US 250/4.1) with a 1974 Duraspark cap.

If you are still running a stock Borg Warner auto, an AMC 343/304 carb and kickdown fits the Aussie Borg Warner 35 or 40 or 42 transmission which came behind the Aussie x-flow. The 1968-1972 AMC ran the same gearbox, and a carb which fitted to an AMC would do okay for a Ford X-flow with this transmission.

I guess I need to educate myself more about the x-flow. extasy THank You!!I took the cap off my distributor and found out it was electronic. I thought no brain box that it had points. I got fooled.I have a Webber but my son tried on the net last year to find a kit for the webber. None in the US Or are we wrong.. The float sticks and I'm thinking maybe a good cleaning and a kit and it would work . Any ideas on a kit or any help. Thanks Ken N.

xctasy":1scnqzfa said:
If you want to use a US distributor items, just use the 1975-82 duraspark II from US 200/3.3 Ford I6 (or 75-80 US 250/4.1) with a 1974 Duraspark cap.

I was confused at first, but then I re-read Jack's xflow swap article. (http://www.fordsix.com/XFswap.php)

so, only the pilot hole is different? Seems that the shaft (lower) diameter/length, and indented hex pattern is the same? I'm really only concerned with the dimensions inside the block. I'm making a custom housing so the shaft pilot hole isn't a huge concern for me.

CobraSix, I'm not a machinist but if like you say every thing is the same except the part of the shaft that fits in the block. Why cant a distributor be taken apart and this part of the shaft turned down!? Dura spark would be cool. Thanks Ken N.

Back