x-flow rear sump?

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
Is there an application that the xflow 250 was set up with a rear sump pan and pick up? If so, what is it and how rare? I'm working on a xflow transplant into a platform that will require a rear sump and pickup.

Std X-shell Fords had front mounted sump 'bumps'. It's most common.

Good news is that rear mount sumps are are simple to find. The Oz market six cylinder Cortina had a rear mount sump, which is common. 1972-1982, about 120 000 six cylinder 3.3 or 4.1 engines all with the same sump as the x-flow were made. Blocks had a lug for the rear mounted dip stick on most 1973-1982 Ford engines, but it was missing in the 1971-1972 and 1983-1991 and engines. Its something of a pest to drill a block without the lug, but an external tube can be organised if your smart. Oil pickup can be had from any six cylinder Cortina.

The local Oz market Bronco/F100 had a Cortina rear mount sump, and is rare but not impossible to find. Same as the Transit Van. It had an early 3.3 or 3.6 non cross flow, then, after 1976, a wide block X-flow style 3.3.

I have a fox chassis 200 pan sitting here with pickup that I have been looking at maybe sectioning onto an XFlow block (my spare parts 200 Xflow has no oil pan) The rails have the same shape but it needs to be a little deeper for the 250 crank I think.

Back