"Sheetmetal" intake

well I ordered parts this weekend and received a tracking number this afternoon so I should have them shortly. doing a 5" D shaped plenum with 1.5" ID runners (yeah I know a little small but can always have it cut apart and bigger runners put in it) (about 2" long each) and a mounting plate for an LS1 throttle body.

will post up pics later this week once it all arrives.

in the mean time....the TB will be mounted with the cable on the bottom side of the intake.....any good ideas for how to setup a throttle pedal? I don't think using a mustang pedal will work on my chassis?

got a guy kinda local lined up to weld it up for me. need to figure out what ports I am putting on it for everything (PCV, vac lines, etc) I think I am going to mount the MAP under the dash and come off the line for the boost gauge. I am going to be running a stock LS1 throttle body on this. I picked it up off fleabay for $35 and figured it would be more then enough for a turbo 250.

I like it. It's nice when someone thinks out of the box. Lower fuel injection than stock. Can't wait to see how it works1

should be finished by end of summer. I need to finish my enginebay mods (power brakes and cable clutch) then I can put the mockup block back in and make sure it is going to clear everything.

This seriously has me thinking of going turbo sooner then planned.

talked to my machinist/welder. Heading over there next weekend to work on this. I think for now we are going to just get the flange cut and weld the runners to the plenum and flange. I am going to bring it back here and double check the fitment. If all is good we are going to cap off the ends and get the throttle cable mounts on it.so by the end of August I shoudl have an intake!!!

I am getting pretty excited about this.

I am still debating what to do for vac ports on the intake.

What I know I will need a port for

MAP sensor/boost gauge (will be mounted under the dash so will get fed off the vac/boost gauge)
Wastegate (might feed this off charge piping)
BOV (will need a vac source for)
Fuel pressure regulator

I am looking at some pre-fabbed weld in bungs with NPT threads for these.

I figured "while I am at it" I might toss in a couple extras too.

on the back of the intake I was thinking of a 1/4" and two 3/8" ports
another 3/8" port near the front (bottom side? throttle cable will be on top)
maybe a large 1/2" port under the rear of the intake? could serve as a drain if I ever get it full of oil for some reason plus the stock ford setup uses a remote idle air motor so I could plumb it in there for now.

should I do a 1/2" PCV line? or just use a breather? I know on my 2.3L turbos they had a stock style PCV (came off the crankcase....so maybe pull off the fuel pump blockoff?) plus an open line from the valve cover to the turbo inlet (the high velocity would suck in fumes)

The bungs are only a couple dollars each and now is the time to put them in....

The swamp ass factor has been high here so I haven't been getting much done....plus it took a couple weeks to get the parts car cut up and hauled off (still have a pile of shit here to get put up...

Just got back from Mike's in Nashville....long day of driving....

But we have my intake tacked up for me to check fitment then it is going back to him to weld it up all the way and put a couple bungs in it. Crossing my fingers it all fits ok (I know of one place I might have to put a relief in it to clear the hydrboost setup)

Teaser pics....

Cutting the flange on the mill

Runner stubs tacked on

Mike welding up the runners

Test fit of plenum on the runners and all

Will pull the factory intake in the morning and toss this one on. Will have more pics in the morning.

Looks really cool.

Just out of curiosity, what do you hope to gain from this intake over the stock intake? Or are you going from Carb to EFI?

larger TB, fewer gaskets to leak, hood clearance (and shock tower brace clearance) Once this is all done I am turning to making the turbo header for it. plmbing should be a bit easier with a forward facing TB. Should also be easier to get the throttle cable hooked up.

Keep me informed on the turbo header as that's my plan for the xflow. What size do you plan to make the flange for?

I do agree, having the TB on the opposite side of the engine will make it easier for turbo plumbing arrangement.

well the weather was half decent earlier this morning so ended up poking around outside for a little bit.

grabbing some lunch then heading out to the garage to pull the stock intake.....wish me luck.

It is tight in there. will need a slight notch in the shock tower rib. will also need a notch for the hydroboost unit. other than that it fits pretty good.

Hey Xflow, Cool project! I'll be following this one.
Is Mike in Nashville open to the public? I'm looking for someone local to do some work.

Yeah he does side work.

right now I have around $250 in materials on this project (counting the stock LS1 throttle body) I won't post what he charges as that is his business.

He is trying to fund his 1200HP Buick GN project and pretty much has the roller done and now is building up the headers and then the motor. I know he has a couple cars inline to have in the shop (his 2 car garage) The one right now is a 5.8L 94-95 cobra getting motor plates installed.

He does do EFI conversions on carb intakes too.

you can find him on octaneforums.com (the local forum that a couple buddies I know from school started) simpley as "Mike"

As far as my project I pulled the stock exhaust off tonight, bolted a dummy T5 up under the car (need to rework my trans crossmember....again) and dug out some old turbo parts for building my jig. So this weekend I hopefully will have the wastegate and turbo position mocked up and ready to go.

I like it.

I am surprised your intake plenum doesnt have a 45deg angle on back.

Your intake is very similar to the RB26 plenum intakes except the RB26 curves out at about a 30 deg angle.

This motor ought to scream! Looking forward to hearing/seeing it run. Hope you get video :D

currently just tacked up.

Dropped it off today to get finished welding. I had to cut a step out of the backside to clear the brake booster (thought of a 45 but would not be enough clearance) Should have it back at the end of the mounth (my guy picked it up on his first day of traveling for vacation since he was gonna be my way)

Got my SS header flanges today also. started tacking up the beginings of my header....

Back