250-2v head gasket.

dawnovsky

hi there,

i doing a 250-2v head swap over my 200block.
I ve received pretty much everything i need to do the trick.
it s the first time i ll open up an old ford 6 head.
I have a close look yesterday at the head gasket, and i ve noticed some confusing things i nees an advice about.

- there two holes in the gasket between cyl 3 and 4 that does not match any drilled hole on the head. is that normal, if yes why are there here ?
-some water jacket hole on the gasket are triangle shaped some other are rounded (and way smaller) is that normal if yes do i have to enlarge them to fit the head before installation

thanks for your kind help.

regards

hi,
thanks for the answer.
Ive got one from australia design for the 250 that have water jacket hole shaped a bit differently. CCan really tell if it a defect or normal. my best guess might be to order an extra one for he 200 and check.
Another question as you did the trick earlier. how did you deal with the push rod ? did you relly on lifter to absorb deck height difference ? did you use original 200 non adjustable rocker or did you use those (dajustable) from the 250-2v?

The gasket is correct and it is drilled like that to make sure water pressure is maintained toward the back of the block and head. It is correct for the 200/250 pre-XFlows or logs as we call them.

Do not under any circumstance cut the holes out to suit the block or you will experience cooling problems...

I own a 200 and 250 2v 6 and have rebuilt both on several occasions,,,bloody good engine if built properly can provide plenty of horses

Cheers
Hope this helps

Generic changes were made by the Broadmedows and Geelong engineers in Australia when the US 144/170 engines evolved into the subtley different early 1965 to 1975 non cross flows. The Aussie 188/200/221/250 and its penultimate 170 HP M code 250 2V were really different in detail. No loadamatic, no Autolites, funny ex Dodge truck Bosch ignition and Stromberg carb systems, special cam bearing , valve guide sizes, different block to trans patterns, electricals, no emissions requirements until 1973, no hardened valve inserts, and a weird range of low and high compression engines with tight cylinder head to piston clearances which just look to have the same gross hp ratings as US 1967 3.03 and 1968 250 engines, but were so different everywhere else.

Ford of Broadmeadows, melbourne, Victoria changed the composition of materials after sedan racing them in 500 mile races, and local supliers used different parts...the warranty claims of early Falcons were huge, and the Canadian Ford Australia manager Bill Bourke area phased in huge quality and durability changes to every facet of the Falcon powerplant engineering. The two lines started to diverge.

The head here in the following photos is the last US made 170 head, and it links up to the common Monotorque® Australasian ACL (Automtive Components Limited) gasket which costs a massive New Zealand $ 33 dollar for this little baby, AP630MT, the generic Oceania Pacific region log head gasket avaliable every where from Hawai to Indonesia to the Chattam Island the Ross Ice Shelf...

See http://www.acl.com.au

The changes over the stock 25 thou Dearborn steel gasket. The ACL composite item is a thickness of about 41 thou compressed, and the different size and shape for the water holes.

Back