Redline 2bbl manifold, good/bad?

Firepower354

Famous Member
How is the crossflow 2bbl manifold from Redline? I found a used one that mounts the carb shaft inline with the crank rather than 90 degrees to it. Any experience with it? All the others seem to have the carb pointed the other way, besides a pic of an old Cain I saw.

heres a post by xrglen (think he posts here): may help.......

from here:
(may have to register)
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11311847

purple78te, You cant fit clevo valves in an alloy head unless they are cut down which costs more than new valves and those sizes you quote will not fit either.
KEC cnc heads are not that good. I have purchased a few sets and they all need hand finishing to be any good which adds to the rip off cost they charge in the first place.
I get 215cfm@550" lift at 28" out of an xflow inlet port with no porting at all, just common sense.
Xflows love big carbs and anyone who says they dont, doesnt have it set correctly.
I just built a xflow with a small speedway crow cam which pulls to 5000rpm and the owner tried a 350 then a 500 and now has a 650d/p quickfuel carb and it runs the best out of all the carbs.
It is also excellent on fuel on a long run but it will increase around town if the 2nd barrels are opened often.
The crow 14806 solid cam is a dual patern cam that doesnt work the best with xflows. Single patern cams are better and will show increases in power, response and torque over simular dual patern cams.
I just advised a speedway driver to replace his 806 cam with a custom crow cam and he made more power everywhere and it comes on at 2500rpm and goes to 6000rpm where the 806 went from 3500-6000rpm. This means at slower starts which happen often, he gains 2-3 positions before the first corner as his cam comes on lower in the rpm range than the other racers.
Crow dont flow heads or test their cams in motors so they dont know all the fine points about the likes and diss-likes of different motors..
I have also ported and built full race methanol heads and there is no gain in CFM by using a larger inlet valve than a 1.84"..
Vac carbs are OK but d/p carbs are better for people looking for street/strip performance with cams that rev to 5500rpm+..
The aussiespeed inlet is the only good manifold to use for any xflow with a carb upgrade and the older cain and redlines will only give uneven cylinder fill which will lose you power and make some pots run too rich and others too lean..Unless your running 3 webers or throttle body injection, ther is no need to flow your head over 225cfm as no xflow inlet manifold flows over this but with a few mods and the right cam 400hp N/A can be made at this level..
The 8 counter weight ED and EL cranks are the best for a high reving 6000rpm+ Xflow as they do the same job as the 12 counter weight EF crank but weigh 3-4kg less. the std xflow crank has 4 full counter weights and 4 half counter weights but these are not the best over 5800rpm. The 8 counter weight crank is still used today in the FG F6 turbos but they have a different nose for the oil pump drive..
Cheers

Hmmmm. I see the new AuSpeed one looks great, and the 90-degree Redline looks as bad as the stock x-flow 2v, but I hoped having the bores split would help. Maybe I can do some work on it. Wish I had bought a long Hemi manifold.

fd89b32d.jpg

f48a08c3.jpg

75535189.jpg

adf9d4c5.jpg

The bolt pattern looks like this one is for an early iron head. The bolts for all the alloy heads I've seen are oddly spaced, but vertical.

Thanks. I just discovered that, myself. Shouldn't matter, for my use, if I decide to use it attached to an EFI base and some elbows back toward the valve cover. Probably end up selling it.

Yep, it's for sale or trade for a 4.9 EFI manifold, or 4bbl...

It looks like the the #2 lower holes are all that's different between iron and alloy crossflows?
Seems an easy adapter or weld/drill fix to work on an alloy?

Soldmy66":1am161m6 said:
Do you have a Firepower Mini?

Not an assault rifle reference, but I do exercise that particular right;)
My business is called Fire Power Minis. I build small motorcycle race engines.
Firepower came from my old Hemi affliction, and Firepower354 is my eBay ID.

I saw your website; very cool. My buddy used to have a Honda Mini Trail. I couldn't afford one, so I had a Nova Mini Bike.

Thanks! I have a lot of fun with the little buggers. Shooting for 100MPH in the standing mile at Maxton this weekend, on a CRF50. It's not quite stock... lol

Maxton...I'd love to race on the cement over there. I have the 1976-1979 Australian cylinder head that the Redline manifold bolts to. See the top picture. Below is the 1981 to 1992 alloy x-flow head, in this case the later one with efi notches upgrade made in 1982

I've had a lot of dealings with Redline over the years and they have a good quality product.

Firepower354":2bsyw1pw said:
Is there any difference besides the #2 port lower bolts?

Yes, each port on the iron head is in an increasingly higher position from front to back, each port has a different shape, and the later alloy head is nothing like the iron head. You cannot adapt one intake for another unless you devcon or JB Welded the ports together and spent a weeks work doing so. They are very different.

xctasy":3htidx43 said:
Firepower354":3htidx43 said:
Is there any difference besides the #2 port lower bolts?

Yes, each port on the iron head is in an increasingly higher position from front to back, each port has a different shape, and the later alloy head is nothing like the iron head. You cannot adapt one intake for another unless you devcon or JB Welded the ports together and spent a weeks work doing so. They are very different.

Aaah. I see that, now. Thanks!

I found this bugger again, and it's gonna go away. Some one want it for $50 or should I cut the flanges and adapt it to a 300 EFI lower? Haaa

Back