Cam sensor?

I was trolling some other boards and forgot where I saw it but I cam across a XFlow guy running a dummy shaft in place of the distributor while using a 36-1 setup. Was there a setup in like this in the newer cars that ran a cam sensor in its place? I had been planning on using one from a 2.3L and having my block bored for it but would love an off the shelf item I could just swap in instead.

It would be easy enough to just saw off the top of a distributor and cap it.

Another idea I've seen is to keep the distributor and use a 72-2 wheel inside to do the same thing.

Well what I was looking at doing was running a 36-1 on the crank and if I can get a cam sensor I can run sequential fuel and coil pack ignition on a MS3 board. The 36-1 mounting is not too much of an issue to solve but the cam sensor is.

I had swapped some parts around on a 2.3L OHC TFI dissy to work in my old 200. For the ranger trucks you can get a cam sensor that goes in place of the distributor for about $30 but has the larger US shaft size in it.

( google Dorman 689108 for an image)

I found this thread while surfing : http://www.xfalcon.com/forum/showthread ... -The-build!

and halfway down you can see where he did a similar mod for running an AU falcon oilpump drive/dummy shaft. I was hoping to see if there was a later Falcon motor that had a cam sensor in place of the dummy shaft so I could just do a gear swap and drop it in place of the dissy.

Have a look at EF & AU Falcon motors. They run a 36-1 sensor on the harmonic balancer and a little TDC sensor where the dissy used to be - it will probably fit OK since the dissy-equipped OHC motors (EA-ED & EL) had a dissy very similar (the same???) as the XD-XF (crossflow) type. There a heaps in the wreckers now since the EF is nearly 20years old.

On my crossflow I have just a 36-1 setup on the front of the power-steer pulley and I use EDIS. I still have the dissy there, but it does look ugly. One day I'll grind off all the towers and paint it black.

XFlow_Fairlane":310gr5im said:
I looked at the local wreckers here but I can't find any EF or AU Falcons.

:rolflmao:
You're a womble. :)

If you want one lemme know, I can get you one and post it to you.

That would be great if you could.

I was looking into using a 2.3L OHC cam sensor body with the shaft from a point dissy turned down but if there is a drop in option that would be worlds better. I am still going to have to have the 36-1 wheel mount made up though. Who knows maybe I will be ditching this TFI unit before I ever get this fired up!!

XFlow_Fairlane":2mz53fz2 said:
That would be great if you could.

I was looking into using a 2.3L OHC cam sensor body with the shaft from a point dissy turned down but if there is a drop in option that would be worlds better. I am still going to have to have the 36-1 wheel mount made up though. Who knows maybe I will be ditching this TFI unit before I ever get this fired up!!

I'll get you one or two with the connectors, get them boxed and priced up for postage and I'll let you know. Is there anything else you need?

I just spoke to my mate, he's having a look. They'll be cheap!

(You'd better PM me your details again, too.)

Box showed up today!

Guess I am talking to my machinist to get a 36-1 setup on my crank now!

I have a whole box full of coils (two different sets of LSX coils and a set of Ford DIS coils)

I swear this car keeps changing as I go along!

Back