Model 40 B/W Automatic

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
Does anyone have an opinion of the Model 40 Automatic? Does it compare to the AOD at all? I have one, and am just wondering if it's worth messing with.

Not a bad box for a street car. Wont hold as much power as a C4 but should be good to 200ish HP
Only a 3 speed but they have done zillions of miles in taxis
Im actually rebuilding my BW35 with BW40 internals

Its acutally the Standard AMC and Non American I6 tranmission. BW 35 was the stock auto gearbox for Rambler Americans since 1957, and it was used till the early 70's as a BW 40 or 42 on 304 AMC V8's. So it can be strong enough for a large 2 tonne intermediate with 260 foot pounds. Or a 265 Hemi in a Chrysler Valiant. If its set up right,then its a responsive, light, efficent and really good economy transmission.Auto BW35's won 10 Benson and Hedges races in New Zealand from 1971-1981 behind 265 Chrysler Valiants simply because the kickdown cable operation allows it to change gears faster than an FMX or C4

Issue that nearly every one has with an AOD and Borg Warner 35/40/42 and later 51 is that the kickdown cable is acutally a cam operated throttle valve which has to have 1.75" of pullout , and must be adjusted to have 0.125" of slack at the carb or EFI throttle. If not, roll-out thump occurs, and you can rapidly turn your Borg Warner or Ford Automatic over drive into a Pile of Schizenhauser in a few weeks of drving

Back