Part number for CP pistons

Barrafox

Looking for a CP part number for a turbo piston for a dohc barra engine. I know they make the pistons but have been unable to get an actual number. A call to cp didn't net much help.

I thought I had found it in a catalog but haven't been able to find it again even though I saved the file.

It probably is a forging that is for another engine and just happens to also fit the criteria to be used in the barra engine you are talking about, and not an application specific piston just for the barra engine. Call back and give them the bore, stroke and compression hgt. you need and also let them know its for a DOHC head configuration and they can match up a forging they have available that way better than by the engine make or brand. One of the owners of CP told me long ago before he started CP and was still at JE, that the cost of just a single piston forging die costs around $5000 to make, so you can begin to see why they use the same die to make other pistons of similar size and configurations to cut down on having an astronomical cost in making pistons for less popular engines. Example, many piston companies use the same forging dies to make pistons for some Small Block Chevy and Small Block Ford pistons because they have the same bore size and are able to make the valve pocket locations work out also, even though the valve angles are different. The same is also true for the Big Block Chevy and Ford 429/460 engines, it just cuts down on their R&D and manufacturing costs.

CP-RS6XR6-020 for 20 thou over 3.652" 4027 cc or 246 cubic inches, and CP-RS6XR6-STD for 3.632" 3984 cc, 243 cuber.

See http://www.spoolimports.com/products/cp-pistons , its the very last lines of the table.

When you Google search, sometimes you don't find it because no one can easily find the right topic sentance to yield a quick hit. I used "Ford Falcon TURBO cp piston part number"

What people don't appericate is that Australian production engineering caters for a really small market of less than a million cars a year. Thats where the USA was back 75 years ago. So most part supply is form existing stocks of scheduled items.

The inexplicable 20 thou increase from 3.612 to 3.632 in the 1992 EB2 might have been so it could use a cheap piston with more common sizes. The Subaru WRX piston is nearly the same size.

Back in the day, the 253 and 308 tooling for the timing gear was also used on the 18R Toyota's, since Toyota was already planning other V8 engines based on 4-cylinders. Just the indexing dot differed between the OHC Corona engine and the Fishermans Bend Holden small block. Similarly, the coil sprung AMI Toyota Crowns had similar pickup points to Opel Commodores. The Chrysler, Ford and Holden distributors used Dodge six truck rotor patterns, and the Sydney built Bendix Stromberg 1-bbl was the same part for some years of Ford I6 and Holden L6, the BW 35 saw duty on any thing from the early Nash Ramblers, Mk II and III Zephyrs, Falcon XP's, 2 litre Cortinas, 1725 cc Hilman Hunter to a Chrysler 265 Hemi. Talk about using a tool allowance...

The Nizpro Falcon DOHC uses a forging similar similar to the non STi WRX Subaru. But the part number will be on the net somewhere. The 1500 hp Nizpro Falcon turbo ran Subaru rings.

Fords odd 68 thou reduction on bore size in the 3.939 litre 1988 EA to 3.612" from the 4.089 litre 250 XF's 3.680" was something due to engineering reasons of getting good cylinder head gasket seal and also 164 thou shallower deck piston in the size they needed to fit an engine which now had a tall camshaft over the head. The Falcon had to package under a lower hoodline than the massive X-shell turret, so they took the block deck down to 9.220" from 9.384".

I looked around and tried different searches but was unable to get the right combination of words to get the results you did.

Thanks for both posts guys as the info in them is very good to have. With a actual part number the pistons should be reasonable buying direct. With manley now having rods available for cheap it makes things more cost affordable.
On a side note they have manley rods available for the barra that will hold 800hp for 300 dollars shipped! The 1000hp set up is only 550.

http://thmotorsports.com/manley/manley_ ... 37498.aspx

Good fortune with your install. Sounds cost effective.

The 103 to 123 thou piston short fall in L code (1969-1979) and C-code (1980) US 250 would be fixed by that 6.058" rod and perhaps a decked 22 to 28 cc Aussie 250piston. Great stuff.

The Barra engine can't use the 1.500 to 1.53 deck 200/250 size pistons unless they are custom Mahale/ACL 1.163", or if you won't down in rod size back to a Chev 5.7, or Chrylser Hemi 265 5.75" rod. So the Barra is essentially a new deal, with the little possibility of any option but true Aussie bits, Exception is those 6" Chevy based Manley rods.

The 160 teeth 1965-1992 OHV, 1988-1993 OHC, 1993-date SOHC/DOHC Aussie blocks also cost a lot when it comes to getting easy autos and T5 gearboxes. The nice 2V/X-flow/SOHC /DOHC heads and EFI systems don't make up for the cost of having to integrate either Aussie or US standard gearboxes, distributors, fuel systems, intakes, exhast systems, water pumps, a/c, p/s, alternators, non std non certified emissions issues.

The market for the Aussie 2003- date DOHC Barra and post 1988-2002 SOHC's is in a funny situation because of the ECU's and bellhousing adaptors. The DOHC and SOHC engines are tied in with non US BTR gearboxes and Aussie EEC 4 and EEC 5 sytems without full OBDII capability. In 2008 to 2010, the US market 5R55S was included, but it doesn't have a detachable case, and isn't a SBF or Modular/Romeo/Ohc Cleveland pattern. That's a huge problem as the only easy swap is the T5 1992- 1999 XG, XH Ute with non dual path intake. All the bits can be made to clear the US X-shell (Falcon to 1980 Granada) with ease via a simple Territory sump kit that can be installed, for the S-shell (Fox), its more of an issue but nothing a little Fox 3.3 verses XH sump work, but the electronics won't move forward untill the Explorer/ Mustang Cologne ECU and gearbox can be transplanted. The later EEC 5 Aussie Ford DOHC have sixty sensors which, although they dont have to be hard linked, they do have to be polled or hooked up. They have a restricted handshake with smartlock and other gear, and unless the US guys can use the EEC4 or EEC 5 stuff like the 4.0 sohc can, a potential market will be untapped. C4 SOHC/DOHC bellhousings, where you can fit up a 157 teeth Windsor C9 box or 157 teeth Cleveland C10 allow you to drop the trans controller and go back to the Mustang EEC 4 A9L 5.0 ECU are probably the best bet. There is also the stone age 153 teeth Powerglide 2-stage SOHC/DOHC bellhousing. But parts and back-up have been a bit arrogant. When a US person needs info, they need it on there terms. We Kiwi and Aussies only see things from T5/T45 and BTR 4-stage gearboxes and factory EEC tunes which yield low 15 second quarters. Or turbos which can drop down to 12 or 13 seconds. Then you get ZF 6 speed boxes. We don't appreciate the problems in fitting those to left hooker Mustangs and Fairmonts and Falcons.

The stock US U, T, L, B, C code 170, 200 and 250's are fully supported by a really good Classic Inlines alloy head, brilliant T5 gearbox conversions. The info is there, and the answers aren't 'just buy the Aussie parts and get them imported'. I have lead times of 3 to 14 days on US parts on my 4.0 UR Explorer and 3.3 Fox Mustang, and because they are Yanky, there hasn't ever been a time I coudln't get a part STAT. This is not the case with parts for Aussie sixes.

The Aussie X-flow is a real odd ball, in that is just an amped up 200 narrow block engine, with some of the US 250 parts and a really good Cleveland head. The options are either to dumb it down to a 4-bbl intake, and use a T5 or Toploader or track down the factory 1971 to 1980 C4 Falcon or Cortina auto bellhousing and 157 teeth flexplate. Or amp it up to later EFI X-flow or SOHC/DOHC dual path EFI system. Other advantages is that its an easy roller cam conversion, but cost wise, the transmission restrictions from its 160 teeth four bolt bell that's not the same as the US 200 or six bolt US 250 makes it a costly option.

Back