250-2v mod on 66 mustang. Throttle linkage

dawnovsky

Hi,
i getting close to be ready to install my 250-2v aussie heand udnerf my 66 mustang hood.
All the parts from suplier are getting together.

one last question about that to anybody that have done the mo already :
what is the best option for throttle linkage :

- Cable mod ?
- Linkage bending ?

I have a spare V8 pedal that i wanted to use for a cable mod but it installation, easy to made, not lookis really good as the cable is not liked to the firewall.
I ve read that bending could be really difficult as the metal is really strong.
i ve been thinking about a 69 or later pedal mod, but then it will get tricky with the kickdown (i have an auto C4)

I would really appreciate your help, picture or schems are more than welcome.

best regards

I put a 250 engine with a 250 2v head and intake in my 66 Mustang. I used a Lokar pedal and cable setup. Really very easy, but not as cheap as bending your old linkage. I think it cost about $150.00 when I was finished. Everything bolted right up. I am using a 350 Holley. very simple.

I will be changing to a GM TBI EFI system in a couple of weeks.

Good luck with your project. The head and intake will make a huge difference.

Steve

dayman":214m44kx said:
I used a Lokar pedal and cable setup. Really very easy,
That's what I did. very handy, and with the cable mounted on the engine I would be afraid of the pedal activating from the idle...

Thanks for both your answers.
I m a bit worried also about installing the cable on the engine do to vibration and engine torq that might induice unwanted trhottle activation (small). in addition i ll loose oone of the benefit of the cable, keeping the throttle idle if engine mount fails (unlikely to happen, but still a concern)
òn another hand i don't wanted to go with lokar, either for the price, and for the look (don't really like it).

anybody did the bending ?
or anyone had an alternate solution ?

by the way, what lenght did you use for the cable (i have the smal lokar one (24 inches) and it seems a bit small ??

thanks

I used the 3ft cable, I agree with the pedal, wish it looked more stock, but I ended up going with functionality and reliability vs aesthetics.

I agree with MPGmustang. I have had the setup for a couple of years now and no problems. When I switched from an Autolite carb to Holley it was easy to make the adjustments.

What are you doing for engine mounts for the 250 to give hood clearance?

dayman":3415sy2a said:
What are you doing for engine mounts for the 250 to give hood clearance?

I'm just dropping a 250-2v head over a stick 200 block. there should not be any clearance issu

Sorry, I thought you were swapping in a 250. I sometime wish I had stuck with the 200. Hood clearance is an issue for air intake for the carb. I am currently working to install a GM TBI fuel injection system. The 350 Holley I am currently running gets rather poor gas mileage and cold morning start-up leaves a little to be desired. Car is my daily driver, so I hope the TBI system will make improvements in mileage and start-up. And allow for better ignition timing control.

Post of pics of the head install if you have time. Like to see how it is going.

Back