EFI Crossflow parts suggestions

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
I have an EFI crossflow, of unknown status but undoutedly in need of a rebuild. I also have mild access to an Aussie lass (from Sidney) who will be coming to the US real soon (2 or 3 weeks) for a 6 month work rotation and is willing to bring me some things (obviously there will be a limit), and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I know I'll need a few head gaskets, and probably a couple crank bearing sets (a minimum of one each), probably a few exhaust and oil pan gaskets as well.

Will I need cam bearings, a dizzy (mine came w/o), new oil pump, water pump, ring kits, or will any of these match their US counterparts? I don't think I can get pistons (which is a bummer) or rods, and probably not rockers/pushers either (think there are US roller equivelents). i know i need to re-read jack collins' writeup, but i'm at work and wanted to get suggestions asap so i can get things shipped to her.

Is there anything easily available in Oz I haven't though of, like crank trigger conversions to ditch the dizzy (or dizzy conversions)?

You will need a gasket kit for your engine year; the later crossflows used a different rear main seal than the earlier rope seal.

Jack recommends an Aussie oil pump. His writeup doesn't mention that he changed the US oil pump out.

The US pistons and rings should work in the Crossflow. The main bearings are different; you should also get the rod bearings just in case.

If you get a Crane Cam roller rocker guideplate conversion kit (52655-16) for around $120, you can use the 351C/460 roller rockers. No need to purchase Yella Terra.

Hope this helps

Gaskets (head, pan, timing cover, valve cover, intake, exhaust, injector housing), timing chain and gears, oil pump (the US one fits but for some reason doesn't work well), main bearings.

Everything else can be adapted.

if you could get him to grab a throw out bearing for me that would be great!!!

I would say the same as Jacks list there.

I would grab a couple sets of gaskets since they pack flat....they are long though.

I need to get measurements for the gaskets this week and get the list together for the order. I'll let you know.

Unless you put a bigger duration 268 or 280 degree cam in it, it will detonate with US 93 octane. I'd look for a set of

26.8 cc is listed as #6KRY4100,
or 21.9 is also listed as 21.8cc, and is #6KRY4101,

If you go to US 8 cc, 5.5 or 0 cc flat tops, you'll certainly have problems

Problem is the Aussies no longer make direct replacements for the stock 200/250 non cross flow and many x-flow version pistons
15.3 cc is #6MKRY4102, std 3.3 piston from 1976-1987
8.6 cc is #6MKRY9412, and suits 250 with the early us Ford 240 con rod with the 0.9112" wrist pin, or the stock forged 6.27" 200/3.3 1971-1987 conrod.
8.0 cc is #6MKRY9411,
0.0 cc flat top is #6MKRY9410,

Stock Iron head 4.1 XD's had 9.15:1 compression
Stock alloy head 4.1 1-bbl XD'S and 4.1 2-bbl XE's had 9.35:1 compression
stock EFI 4.1 XE's had 8.8:1 compression
stock 2-BBL 4.1 XF's had 9.35:1 from introduction till 1986, then were down to 8.6:1
Stock EFI's were 8.8:1, but dropped to 8.7 when Unleaded gas (ULP) got standardized.

When you use stock 15.3 or 0.0 cc pistons, the CR ratios go up to these specs
with15.3 CC 6MKRY4102 vs Flatop 6MKRY9110
L-code and M-code XY, XA, XB 250 9.2:1---> 10.4:1
XC, XD, XE 4.1 9.0:1--------> 10.1:1
XF ULP Non E.F.I. 10.0:1--------> 11.0:1
XF ULP E.F.I. 9.6:1--------> 10.6:1

so even the stock 15.3cc Aussie 3.3 piston will push the stock 4.1 x-flow over thedetonation limit. Sources of the #6KRY4101 can bee gotten fairly cheaply from ACL.

See http://mitsubishilinks.com/fsm/acl_pist ... s_pp99.pdf, and look at Pages numbered 46,47, 48,49.They have the info, but they are 80,81,82,83 of 275 in the pdf file.
26.8 cc is listed as #6KRY4100,
21.9 is also listed as 21.8cc, and is #6KRY4101,
15.3 cc is #6MKRY4102,
#6MKRY9413 is no longer made but it was a flat top too.

ACL make an ACL Race set, see http://www.aclperformance.com.au/tech_p_cast.htm
As stated, 8.6 cc is #6MKRY9412, and suits 250 with the early us Ford 240 con rod with the 0.9112" wrist pin, or the stock forged 6.27" 200/3.3 1971-1987 conrod.
8.0 cc is #6MKRY9411,
0.0 cc flat top is #6MKRY9410,

Lots of mistakes in both these catalogues, but the equipement is top notch, and I can't speak highly enough of it. The parts lists need about five errors taken out of them for the rest of us to use...it gets very frustrating when 250 sixes are listed as 1965-1975 engine, and then no orginal compression ratio comparison data, exceptionally dangerous when all of us have to use Unleaded 87, 91, or 93 octane on pre 1985 engines designed for 97-98 octane unleaded.

unfortunately, I can guarantee I can't get pistons or rods, or anything heavier than a timing set and maybe an oil pump. The rest has to be light weight gaskets, seals, and bearings.

my business partner is an ex machinist, and our office is in a machine shop. Probably have to find state side pistons I can dish.

anyone gave a suggestion of who in Australia to do business with on these parts?

You can mitigate the piston dish issues by opening up the combustion chambers a good bit. On the four heads I had, all had rather small, closed chamber designs that would lend themselves well to relieving for more flow. I would guess you could easily add 7-8 cc's just from chamber work.

Good friends of mine, who are unfortunately not car people, are cavorting around new Zealand for the balance of the week (were in Wellington yesterday). I was hoping to ask them to pick me up a few bearing sets for me 4.1 EFI crossflow (in various journal sizes as I haven't torn the engine down to measure), but my google-Fu is weak and I can't find proper part numbers.

Can anyone suggest part numbers for:
main bearing sets (stock, 10 over, whatever is nest, 20 over?)
Gasket sets (hopefully there is a single kit with everything)
An oil pump
and a timing set?

And suggest a reputable parts chain?

I will continue to fumble with google, and maybe google an auto parts place in wellington to call, but I figure I'd ask here. Can't get pistons or rods, or a distributor :(

FYI, Engine serial number is (JG31HJ 61122), Aussie/Geelong manufactured block out of a Falcon 500 / Falcon GL Wagon, in 1987, September

Hi Invectivus,

A couple of reputable parts chains are:
Repco (they originated in Australia so are more than competent with Aussie Ford parts) - their website is http://www.repco.co.nz/
BNT - their website is http://www.bntnz.co.nz/

Another chain (also of Australian origin) is SuperCheap Auto. I'm a bit less inclined to suggest them as they sell a lot of cheap stuff that is (IMHO) of inferior quality.

In terms of parts numbers, you might want to pm one of the other NZ or Australian members (like Xctasy) for good guidance. In the meantime though, the company ACL (Automotive Components Ltd) manufacture parts for the Aussie sixes - Repco definitely sell ACL products (I don't know if ACL sell to the public). ACL's online engine parts catalogue is at:
http://www.acl.co.nz/engine-parts-catalogue-2/
It'll probably be a fairly slow site from where you are and if you don't know the details of the car your engine came from then it may lead you astray but it might be very helpful and hopefully someone else on here can help before you make a wrong purchase!

Finally, New Zealand never really took to eBay. Our homegrown version is called TradeMe - http://www.trademe.co.nz - if you roam around on there you'll find a few inline six bits to pique your interest and you might also laugh at what people ask for V8s.

Cheers,
Alan.

Back