Xflow Rear Main Seal Replacement or Upgrade

rocklord

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
I was informed that the rear main seal on my new Xflow acquisition should be replaced.
The 76DA block can use the rope seal from the US250 so getting a replacement isn't a problem.

I read on an Aussie forum that a rear main seal from the Aussie 302C can be substituted for the rope seal and is a direct fit.
Have any of you heard of using this part in the Xflow? If so, what is the part number?

Also, I am gasket poor when replacing the oil pan and cam chain cover gaskets, so could I use something like Permatex instead
or make my own with gasket material?

Thanks in advance.

The rope seal is the same as a Windsor. And you can get neoprene ones. If you go that way, remove the locating pin out of the cap.
I don't have a part number but I'm sure ebay would have them (I got mine from there)

Timing cover gasket you could either make one out of gasket paper, or your preferred silicon brand.

Sump gasket is cork, maybe you could make one. I just don't know if the thickness of this gasket is important or not.

If you want to get fancy, the last of the xflow blocks used a round one piece rear main seal. Early blocks can be machined to fit, but availability of a suitable seal over the pond may be an issue. The neoprene seal is worth a couple of HP over the rope apparently.

ben

A neoprene seal is in it now and leaks. I don't know if the seal gaps were offset or not.
Whichever seal I use, I dont' want it to leak and have to replace it, again.

Just wish I didn't have to pull the crank to change it out.

For the timing cover just use Permatex Right Stuff. You can also use it on the oil pan rails but it might be tough to get a good enough bead to use on the end seals.

Just be careful not to use so much that it squeezes into the innards of the engine.

Back