Aussie vs US 200

xrwagon

I have a 68 200 in my Aussie XR wagon, i constantly get sold thew wrong gaskets and parts for it. First was rear main seal. Now its the sump gasket, i ordered a full set and got a sump gasket that doesn’t fit, now my parts guy tells me i have a US 200 and thats why the sump gasket is wrong and the rear main seal. I feel its a cop out, are the 200-250 pre crossflow sump gaskets different, mine don’t meet up, one is short y half and inch, which would be right if it had the wider rear main cap and larger rear crank journal, i thought all 250’s were windsor sized rear mains, which would make the sump gasket different also.

You'll have to go through my main seal post.

The US 200 was four bearing short deck for a year and a half from 1963 to 1964.5, then seven bearing, and made from 1963- 1983.

The Aussie 200 was exactly the same as the US 200 for only a year or so, from 1964.5 to mid 1965, then got a wide bell-housing block. It was taken off the Aussie engine list for 2 years, replaced by the tall deck 188/221 for the XW, then came back as a short stroke version of the Aussie 250 block in 1971.

With the 71 on wards, the main seal was 302 size, the whole engine 1.577" taller, the rods 1.56" taller, the main bearings bigger, the log head different to the US 200, and then , in 1976, it became a cross flow, and in 1980, alloy headed and electronic ignition, , then 2-bbl in 1982, then a new head a and TF Ignition in 1985, then a new main seal, then a few revisions until in died in August 1993, replaced by the EA 3.2 Litre OHC.

thanks for info, confirmed what i know, parts guy who manages a big parts group blames there mistakes on my 68 200 being a US block, i have a few bell housings and told him, the difference. Also told him about the rear main being different, he is a non believer.

lol.

i would have replied sooner, but Computer Says "Your message contains too many smilies. The maximum number of smilies allowed is 10."

Don't let some counter wally give you the later XY/XA/XB non cross flow 200/250 item

Dat bouy is a Counter Wally. 1960-1983 US 144/170/187(Argentina))/200 same as Aussie 1964-1968, not 1971-1993 Aussie 200 :banghead: :rolflmao: :unsure: :nono: :D :roll: :eek: :devilish: :nod: :boom:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72398&p=556432#p556432

xctasy":311hyqvp said:
xrwagon":311hyqvp said:
Our only parts supplier in Australia for these seals is Precision International, the seal they list is wrong, so my engine guy went off there wrong listing, so all the parts guys order from this manufacturer.

That's becasue in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72342&p=555758#p555758 we told ya the Aussie 200 one was different.

xctasy":311hyqvp said:
No engine removal required. You've got the old rope seal, so its tough to get em out. Replace it with a neoprene Felpro or similar. Sizes vary, there are a different lenghts and sections, and some are cut to fit, which can be a pain. A note only for us AuNZies...the little 200 used a 2.75" pitch six bolt center flange with a 3.625" crank out diameter flange before the big tall deck change to the 250 based block in 1971 Aussie FoulCans. Don't let some counter wally give you the later XY/XA/XB non cross flow 200/250 item.

Azza, you'll get there bro. The team here will see you right. CF is not nice, I have realtives with it.

Here are the extra smillies I wasn't able to post.

:fume: :stick: :eek:z:

When (not IF) I screw up, I appologise, and then the customer is respected. Counter Wallies are always right, Even when they are wrong. No "the customer is always right" when you have a bunch of reference manuals to baffle the world with Bovine Scattolgy....

In instances where Counter Wallies Mess Up, the The Customer should Awalys Riot....Nonethe less, the Aussie Counter Wallies, some of them are the Best.

Where would Dick Johnson have been without working for Repco? I'll bet, even after telling his boss to do strange things to his anatomy (as he did), he wouldn't have insisted that the customer was a dumby. When you don't appologize, that's what you do, you disrespect the customer.

At the end of the day, tho', you'll be back getting parts from the same guy, and he'll do a little more home work.

Move on and enjoy the exprience mate.

xrwagon":717yr8z0 said:
thanks for info, confirmed what i know, parts guy who manages a big parts group blames there mistakes on my 68 200 being a US block, i have a few bell housings and told him, the difference. Also told him about the rear main being different, he is a non believer.

Convert him. I have been in the same place as you when I changed and put the Toyota 5 speed behind the 170 Pursuit.

Back