Another 2v Head

xrwagon

My conversion to a 2V head is running on my 200, drover her the other night, everything was fairly straight forward. The best thing you can do is buy a good head to start off with, i sacrificed quite a bit of time by waiting for our big swap meet where i live and crossing my fingers something suitable would turn up. I sold some of my beloved diecast car collection, i had been building up a quality little collection by trading $2 dollar cars for $35-50 dollar cars, so when it cam time to sell, i made some good profit. Head and manifold only owed me in my money a couple hundred. I spent $250 all told on some machining, skimming the head, tidying up under the valves. The other dollars went to a full gasket set and a rattle can of Hammertoe grey, i made a couple stuff ups but it went ok, used the factory alloy manifold that my friend tig welded two adapters to for a modified 350 Holley, i studded the extractors and manifold and now can install my pipes in under 15 minutes. Used as many of my existing 1967 parts, so the full hardline i only cut off what was needed, used one of my accelerator linkages to get it running. Managed to get a single row pulley for the water pump, another freebie. General driving it around with 50 percent throttle for now until we sort the linkage out and tune the carb. But the street manners are much improved, it doesn’t feel asthmatic and is a nicer car to cruise in. My initial put the foot down was met with a happy smile so can only wonder what it will be like with 100 WOT. Stay tuned for tuning and then some racing. Have a weekend of racing coming up. A large postponed meet and rd two of a local series are on same weekend, so ill have some 1/8th mile and 1/4 times to compare to when i raced it with the log head.

Still tuning on mine, brought a new 250 crossflow fuel pump today, glass bowl one was showing 5 PSI, my manual says it should be 6 PSI, maybe one of the reasons its out off puff despite my tuning attempts, not enough fuel. New pump shows 6.8 at idle, so thats a 1.8 increase. and doesn’t fall below 6 at all under acceleration. Now to fine tune it. Any school of thought on a 350 Holley being to small on a 250 2V head and 200 bottom end?

My tuning is almost complete, local expert dyno guy sold me 58 jets for the Holley, well it has 70’s in it now, and we can go up another couple yet i reckon. PV is a 6.5. Timing not done yet as the liquors are to thick to give a signal. So ill address that.

Back