Rear Main seal

XMFalcon221

I am hoping to starting putting my 221 back together this weekend, have finally got all the parts back from the machine shop (If anyone in Tassie is after some top quality machine work give Reggie at Motortech a call) and am after some advice on the rear main seal. I have been supplied with a rope seal but after doing some searching on this forum I noticed that a rubber type seal can be fitted. Does anyone know where I could track one of these down? Equivalent part number? I have not had any luck at Bursons or Repco. Will not be able to get one shipped from the states in time.

If not i'll stick with the rope seal and hope for the best..

Cheers :beer:

He sent me a message, i have replied to him. Best of luck, buy a spare one, i have a spare one here. Already loaned it while the bloke ordered his from the States to replace it.

That would be good, only other suggestion is ring Marty White Race engines up here in QLD as what he is using, he builds the best 221 2V headed motors in Australia, great bloke to.

Hi guys,

I thought I'd take the opportunity to add in the rear seal modification I had an engine reconditioner do for me on a 170cu back in 2007. It's obviously not something you knock up in a weekend, requiring as it does the block to be comprehensively stripped down. It also needs the machinist to have boring equipment that can fit a 170cu block on its end.

http://s394.photobucket.com/user/Alan_H ... x.jpg.html

And here's a view of an unmodified engine for comparison:
http://s394.photobucket.com/user/Alan_H ... c.jpg.html

I should point out a few things:
- The engine is in a circuit racing car that only sees a couple of race meets a year, but it gets little mechanical sympathy when it's on the track.
- The car runs a manual gearbox.
- The modified seal arrangement has never leaked (the photo was taken earlier this year and no one has cleaned anything up).
- The engine reconditioner who did the research to select the seal, and then the machining work, shut up shop and retired a couple of years ago, but he did give me the part number for the double lip neoprene seal (Payen part number NK 143) - it's apparently out of a Mitsubishi truck.

Now someone round here will be able to tell us if that seal would work on the 200-221-250 cranks as well, or would it need a seal with a different internal diameter...

Cheers,
Alan.

Nice work Alan. Welcome and thankyou...

The Aussie 200 and 250 engines after 1971 went the to 3.75" crank flange with 3" bolt pitch (1962-2003 Windsor 221/260/289/302/255/351 style), up from the itty bitty 3.625" flange with 2.75" bolt pitch of the US derived 144/170/200 small sixes engines.

The Argentine 187/188/221 engines were what the Aussies copied, and they were still that small US style small crank flange. They used the 250 cam position, but were a half breed of small six rank bearings, and 250 Aussie cam chain, and so you just gotta make allowances for the crank flange diameter.

The US 250 went SBF on the crank snout and crank flange, and the US 250 has either the rope seal or 302 W neoprene seal.

For early 1964 to 1968 Aussie 200's, the neoprene replacement wasn't the bigger 3.75" Windsor SBF, it was the standard US replacement, but that Mitsubishi one should work on any Aussie 144/188 and 221.

The Aussie 250's copped and changed, went to a dog turd style seal for a few years, then to the EA falcon style seal and metric head bolt crank. The rope seal blocks can take the SBF Windsor seal for some years, but it varies. The 188/221 is basically a small low deck 200 that slept with a tall deck 250, but it uses the earlier 2.75" bolt pitch

You can do anything you like, but the two types of Aussie 200/250 neoprene seals are quite different to the US small six ones, but then went back to the EA neoprene so the OHC and X-flow blocks could be machined on the same transfer lines. Counter wallies and modders like us just have to be aware of the differences.

Ford are funny, they don't mind half breed mixtures at all, and they are quite happy to spend a few million on oddball seals if it stops 'em leaking oil on a customers driveway. A Mitsubishi seal is in keeping with the tradition... many millions of Ford trucks in the US have Japper Mitsubishi, Mazda or Jatco or French Bordeux gearboxes in them, whats a yellow peril seal among friends... :rolflmao: :unsure:

Back