Solid cam for a 200CI with a 250 2V head

fast64ranchero

I'm building a new setup for my 63 ranchero. The current setup was in it when I got the car. (200 with big dish pistons and 250 2V head. Clay Smith 274H cam) the rings never seated and it is way under compressed for the head/cam setup. My new setup is zero decked flat top pistons to bring the compression up and the head is going to Wes King for porting, I'll figure final compression based on cam choice and deck the head to reach correct compression. Any of you guys have experience with solid cams like Clay Smith's 278 grind on 108 LC? I plan on calling CS to see what George would recommend but figured I ask here to see if any of you guys have had good results from another cam with "like" specs. Thx.

Clay Smith is good but you might also try Schneider Racing Cams (see below link) they could grind you a custom cam to suit your engine specs. Good luck on your build :nod:

http://schneidercams.com

If you go with solid lifters i would get with a grinder who will get your intake duration close to 262-264 & exhaust 272 vicinity. Your lift with stock length valves is limited to .525".
Your L/C depends on your transmission choice. C-4 114, stick shift 110 to get a decent idle.
You will also need stouter valve springs to take advantage of the solid camshafts faster rate of lift.
I agree with Bubba on Schneider. Comp cams has a ton of custom masters to choose from.
With possible 130# seat spring pressure & over 300# open i would get the camshaft nitrate hardened.
If you don't want to install an aggressive solid lifter camshaft then just use a decent hydraulic camshaft.
Why waste time adjusting valves on a mild solid lifter camshaft.

Back