Ok.. next question.. OZ 250 Starter Work in U.S. 250?

madmaxmarchhare

As per subject line.. will the OZ 250 starter motor work in a U.S. 250 block (and, presumably, a small block V8 flywheel)? Thanks, as always, in advance...

I don't know what the specs are on an OZ 250 starter motor and haven't seen one to know if it will work for sure or not. My best guess is that it could if it was for the right trans. But I do know on the Ford US engines there are two different starter offsets 3/8 or 3/4 inch used. Basically this depends on if the trans is going to be used with a flywheel and manual trans or a flex plate with an automatic trans. You can't use a stock SBF V8 flywheel on a 250 six, without a rebalance! SBF V8's can have an imbalance of 28 oz. or 50 oz. depending on the year. A 250 six needs a flywheel with a zero imbalance, there are some aftermarket V8 flywheels that have a removeable balance weight that without is a zero balance. In addistional there are a few different flywheel tooth counts too, the flywheel needs to be the correct diameter for the size of bell housing you plan on using. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":33m66j3y said:
I don't know what the specs are on an OZ 250 starter motor and haven't seen one to know if it will work for sure or not. My best guess is that it could if it was for the right trans. But I do know on the Ford US engines there are two different starter offsets 3/8 or 3/4 inch used. Basically this depends on if the trans is going to be used with a flywheel and manual trans or a flex plate with an automatic trans. You can't use a stock SBF V8 flywheel on a 250 six, without a rebalance! SBF V8's can have an imbalance of 28 oz. or 50 oz. depending on the year. A 250 six needs a flywheel with a zero imbalance, there are some aftermarket V8 flywheels that have a removeable balance weight that without is a zero balance. In addistional there are a few different flywheel tooth counts too, the flywheel needs to be the correct diameter for the size of bell housing you plan on using. Good luck :nod:

I'm wondering the best way to find this out.. Don't want to throw the OZ starter in if its not going to work.. or to damage things..

Yeah, I saw that about the flywheel balance.. I'm sure the one I have has been modified for a V8 balance (Supra 5-speed).

The two flywheel tooth counts used in most US Fords are the 157 (Cars) and the 164 (Trucks). I am assuming that you will be using the car version bell housing so then you need a 157 tooth flywheel. There were some Ford Granada's and Mercury Monarchs built in 1975 Up to 1980, 1969 to 1973 Mustangs, and maybe some 1973 to 1977 Mavericks / Comets with the 250 six and a Manual trans (3 speed with OD) this would give you the correct zero balance flywheel you need. As far as the OZ starter the only person I can think of that would know about if it will work on a US engine is site member " Xctasy " you could try sending him a PM for an answer. One last note that might be a much better choice for your starter is to use the late EFI 5.0 / 302 Hi Torque staters (one for a T5 trans in your case) these are much lighter and also smaller for header clearance, they seem to last a lot longer too. Good luck :nod: Edited

bubba22349":29wsqtlu said:
The two flywheel tooth counts used in most US Fords are the 157 (Cars) and the 164 (Trucks). I am assuming that you will be using the car version bell housing so then you need a 157 tooth flywheel. There were some Ford Granada's and Mercury Monarchs built in the late 1970's into the early 1980's (I think until 1983) with the 250 six and a Manual trans (3 speed with OD) this would give you the correct zero balance flywheel you need. As far as the OZ starter the only person I can think of that would know about if it will work on a US engine is site member Xtescy you could try sending him a PM for an answer. One last note that might be a much better choice for your starter is to use the late EFI 5.0 / 302 Hi Torque staters (one for a T5 trans in your case) these are much lighter and also smaller for header clearance, they seem to last a lot longer too. Good luck

I might just get the starter, anyhow, if it's a good idea (is there a year/model I should tell the counter dude?). Is there an easy way to count the teeth? Like so many teeth per inch or something?

Yes just ask for a starter for a 1992 or up to a 1995 Mustang 5.0 with a T5 trans! (y) The same starter is also used in many other models too. As an example of that was my 1994 F150 4.9 / 300 six with 5 speed used that same starter also. Good luck :nod: Edited

Back