Xflow Head for US Swap - Any Interest

rocklord

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2018
I was on one of the Australia forums and someone on there just sold a crossflow head to someone in the US who wanted to do a head swap onto a US engine. This has been done by Mike1157 on a US250 and discussed here: ci/XFheadswap.html

I was looking around the attic of my garage and realized that I have more crossflow heads than I'll be able to do anything with.
Along with the head, I have some new cams from stock EFI to high performance, head and valve cover gaskets, steel or alloy valve cover, a stock 2bbl intake, an EFI banana intake, and a stock cast iron exhaust manifold. Basically everything you would need to slap one of these heads on a modified US block. The head will have to be cleaned and a valve job performed along with the head modifications.

So, I was wondering if anybody would be interested in purchasing one of these heads?

If there is any interest, we can discuss what setup you want and price.

Just to let you know, a $50 Crossflow head bought on eBay Australia can cost $150-$200 in shipping.

Are they old crossflow heads or barra crossflow heads? I do not know much about them but I thought the older heads bolted straight up to our engines. I am not too much on the modification of the block but I am interested in a direct bolt on head.

The only Australian head that is a direct bolt-on is the 250 2v.
You can read about it here: ci/OZ250-2v.html

The Crossflow engine replaced the 250 2V in 1976. It is a crossflow design that uses canted valves similar to the V8 Cleveland head. The Crossflow head is wider that the 250 2V and US head, so modifications to the block is required. See here: ci/XFheadswap.html

The Barra is a DOHC engine. This head cannot be used on a US engine due to the fact that the cams run off the crank with a long chain and modifying a US block would be a PITA.

So if you want a direct bolt-on head, go with a Australian 250 2V (good luck finding), or an aluminum head from vintage inlines when they
become available again.

Sorry I am not too informed on the aussie heads. Thanks for the info. Are the heads you have a good swap for performance?

If you read about the xflow head swap at ci/XFheadswap.html , MustangSix stated
"We estimate that our "mild" 200 with 9.0:1 CR and a stock cam will put out 155 - 165 hp. Hotter versions will easily exceed 200 hp."

Those are pretty good numbers.

HI Rocklord, I might be interested in one of your heads and parts depending on the cost you have in mind it would need to be fairly compleate package though. I have also been hunting for a car in the low budget range for a coupe of years in the Az. area to do a perforance build up. Unfortunately I lost all my engine parts and car collection when I moved to Az. so basically am starting from scratch again. :nod:

You kinda threw out there a scenario of a $50 dollar head costing $150-$200 to ship like that was going to be more expensive than one of your heads, so how much for one?

rocklord":ptxm15qs said:
I was on one of the Australia forums and someone on there just sold a crossflow head to someone in the US who wanted to do a head swap onto a US engine. This has been done by Mike1157 on a US250 and discussed here: ci/XFheadswap.html

I was looking around the attic of my garage and realized that I have more crossflow heads than I'll be able to do anything with.
Along with the head, I have some new cams from stock EFI to high performance, head and valve cover gaskets, steel or alloy valve cover, a stock 2bbl intake, an EFI banana intake, and a stock cast iron exhaust manifold. Basically everything you would need to slap one of these heads on a modified US block. The head will have to be cleaned and a valve job performed along with the head modifications.

So, I was wondering if anybody would be interested in purchasing one of these heads?

Just to let you know, a $50 Crossflow head bought on eBay Australia can cost $150-$200 in shipping.

I'd also like to know how much a crossflow would cost. My block is about to be rebuilt and if i can get a cross flow head i might get set it up for that...

Thanks!

Installing a OZ Crossflow head onto a USA non-Crossflow block requires extensive block modification. You may want to find the Crossflow head to non-Crossflow block threads here and read through them thoroughly before you decide to purchase one.

DAN,
If you have any extractors, I am interested. Getting ready to do another one and need some sort of exhaust manifold for it

Thanks

Bayrunner":2ntcasnn said:
DAN,
If you have any extractors, I am interested. Getting ready to do another one and need some sort of exhaust manifold for it

Thanks

Only have the cast iron manifold left.

I saw on the Australia eBay site vendors selling crossflow extractors for around $200US, and willing to ship to the USA.
Here's one:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Headers-Ext ... GTR=1#shId

You have to go to the Postage and Payments tab on individual auctions to see if the vendor ships International. The vendor in the above
auction will ship to the USA for around $105US (Depending on exchange rates).

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dan, I am aware of those but I do not think I have room to fit them. That is why I wanted to check out the Stock Header.

Pardon my ignorance...is the OZ250-2v head different from the Cross Flow mentioned?
I am looking for a OZ250-2V to upgrade my Isix 200 but do no want.
to get into the modifications described. Appreciate a comment

Pardon my ignorance...is the OZ250-2v head different from the Cross Flow mentioned?
I am looking for a OZ250-2V to upgrade my Isix 200 but do no want.
to get into the modifications described. Appreciate a comment
Yes, the crossflow is a different block, hence the modifications required, I believe the 250-2V head will bolt right on but I understand they are even rare in AUS so good luck on finding one and then getting it shipped to the US, if that is where you are, might be cheaper and easier to get the Aluminum head if you can get on the list for the next casting, someone that knows more about that will have to tell you what the possibilities are of getting a VI Aluminum head.

See Ya,
Mike

From what I understand as well, the 2V head is really only a slight upgrade over the stock large log head. So for the costs involved to acquire one, ship it here and prep it for installation there seem to be much better solutions financially and practically for this type of swap.

Back