Problem with the USMW water pump

1971_F250

Hi all,

I replaced the water pump with a new USMW water pump on my 1971 F250 w/ 240ci canadian. I had to enlarge the water pump pulley for it to fit on the water pump (is it usual??) and the belt just doesn't seem right!?!? IMG_2127.JPG IMG_2128.JPGIMG_2129.JPG

:unsure: I don't think that's normal, haven't ever had to enlarge a pulley hole to fit. Yes you need to fix that pulley alignment with that much misalignment the pulley wobble will knock out the water pumps front bearing quickly. Did you make the center hole big enough so that it will side onto the pumps shaft easily? Does the water pumps front flange look like its pressed on straight? i.e. 90 degrees to front of engine. If pumps flange is straight then it looks like it wasn't pressed on far enough so that pulleys will line up correctly compare its height to your old water pump, then maybe you should have them get you another pump that correctly built. Good luck :nod:

bubba22349":81hok64e said:
:unsure: I don't think that's normal, haven't ever had to enlarge a pulley hole to fit. Yes you need to fix that pulley alignment with that much misalignment the pulley wobble will knock out the water pumps front bearing quickly. Did you make the center hole big enough so that it will side onto the pumps shaft easily? Does the water pumps front flange look like its pressed on straight? i.e. 90 degrees to front of engine. If pumps flange is straight then it looks like it wasn't pressed on far enough so that pulleys will line up correctly compare its height to your old water pump, then maybe you should have them get you another pump that correctly built. Good luck :nod:
Yes i enlarged the pulley big enough to fit it all the way in. I even double checked to make sure it's all the way home (i knew that something wasn't right :x :x ). This is the pump i bought and it says on ebay that it's going to fit the 240ci of the F and D series. Can you still get a new pulley and the fan spacer(the alloy bit that goes between the fan and the pulley) if i ever need to get a new pump?
s-l1600.jpg

1971_F250":2j6vp5hj said:
bubba22349":2j6vp5hj said:
Yes i enlarged the pulley big enough to fit it all the way in. I even double checked to make sure it's all the way home (i knew that something wasn't right :x :x ). This is the pump i bought and it says on ebay that it's going to fit the 240ci of the F and D series. Can you still get a new pulley and the fan spacer(the alloy bit that goes between the fan and the pulley) if i ever need to get a new pump?
s-l1600.jpg

I haven't seen that brand before but the years that its suppose to fit maybe the right ones. The last water pumps I have been using are the GMB brand seam to be very good quality for their price. There are about 4 different water pumps used on these engines throughout all the years they were made. 1st version is for the years 1965 to 1977 it fits all 240 car and truck engines and also the 300 truck engine too. Second version is 1978 to 1982 or might even be up to 86 but both these first two water pumps would use a V belt pulley drive. Later two water pumps are serpentine belt drives (reverse rotation) water pumps.

:unsure: I am wondering if that pump was just assembled wrong or if it's the wrong year for your engine combo? You could take it apart, then you can have the pulley flange pressed back on the shaft enough so the belt is lined up straight. Did you happen to check the engine block numbers (Design / Casting Code & Date Code) to see it's year of manufacture?

I doubt that you can buy a new ford factory pulley, the except is if you are able to find a NOS (new old stock) pulley somewhere. There are new aftermarket fan spacers made though. Good luck :nod:

Back