Intech 4.0 or Barra 4.0?

Alright this pertains to an effective and useful ford i6. Being i have a few rangers and lets be honest.. The engines that US spec rangers are turds. The Aussie i6s are awesome. And alot of versions. So how can one get one. And what's the best for my truck?

To that I say. Load of crud. I got 28 US mpg in my 205 hp 4200 pound Explorer XLT, 16.6 second quarter mile, and its got parts back up and isn't an orphan.

The Cologne 4.0 SOHC V6 with the 207 hp engine is faster than the 215 hp Explorer XLT engine, and the basic OHV 4.0 EFi is a very light and strong base. Get parts from an S197 4.0 Mustang.

The Barra engie is bigger than a 4.9 liter EFI truck engine.

You won't get the 4.0 SOHC Intech I6 or DOHC Barra into any Ranger without a 3" body lift, or significant modifications.

The conrods are the Colognes weekness.

See gb500 posts on the size of a Barra relative to a 5.0 EFi Mustang Windsor OHV.

My other car is a RD25 Skline engined Nissan Stagea.

IMHO, the in line six DOHC engines are an over sized abberation of elitest crap that adds 2" in legth, 3" in height, and takes off the abilty yo have nice big 4" pistons and a shorter stroke. Look at the Jaguar XK DOHC, a reworked Standard Triumph block that was compact and small suddenly becomes a giant boat anchor with tiny bores and a long stroke. None of them make even the claimed 265 hp of the best Le Mans engine.

The Barra is 2" longer than a 250 six, which makes it 4.9 Ford six size at about 37.5" all up. You can fit a 300 in a 1960 Falcon, but not a Barra 4.0.

The Barra engine had to be decked 188 thou to pacakge in the Falcon cars, so its block deck is 9.22", and its the same height as a 9.8" deck 300 Ford Bgi Six

The 4.9 300 Ford with its steel HD crank option and tough as heck iron block is far supperior to the Barra for strength and potential power if you slap some SVO, RO7 or LS2 heads on it, and it doesn't require importing.

This from a person who flat out loves the Barra.

Don't let your love for forgien Ford stuff be like an internet affair. The facts are its got 4.08" bore centres when the same size 300 has 4.47" bores. The defict from a DOHC head is always 400 thou less bore, and 200 thou less deck height.

The SOHC 4.0 Cologne has Big Block style bore spacings of 4.76", and a farily tall 8.85" deck with a great short stroke crank and almost 4" bores.

Greatest power potential comes from the biggest bore spacings, and an over sqaure bore to stroke ratio with a better rod to stroke ratio. There are exceptions, like a 351 Clevleland or Windsor based Engine Masters long stroke engine might pip a poorly developed 460, but the little Cologne V6 is just waiting for a nice big T04 turbo or two, some better conrods, and a lowered compression, a set of aftermarket foged pistons, and programmed injection and injectors, and your into the 450 hp mark with just 12 pounds of boost.

Even with those nastly nylone chain guides, a Cologne V6 is way ahead of the Barra for size and hp potential.

I see.. Though i am well aware the ohv engine was decent.. The SOHC have had a load of issues. I see them blown up everywhere. And i also want something different as well as powerful. But i will look into a few options as its going to placed in the bay of a truck that is a 1999. Said truck has a 2.5 lima based iron lump..

The blow ups are oil surge and cam guide issues, along with those low rent con rods. Head gaskets aren't too flash.

For the size of both the 4.0 SOHc in line six, you could have a 430 hp 5 liter V8 with alloy heads, and tip in at 400 pounds.

The Windsor is tiny but very well supported.

The Intech Aussie I6 is a fine engine too, but again, the size of it, you could fit a stock SOHC V6, and not have to import an engine that makes only 240 hp modified. Adding a turbo to anything will give good results.

Think about what you really want.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77062&p=593124#p593124

rocklord":30w64z1o said:
Here you go:

s-l1600.jpg

Barra182.jpg

182KW (240HP) automatic with ECU

The intake manifold may interfere with the driver's side shock tower. You can notch the shock tower or
make new engine mounts to shift the engine over to clear the shock tower.

Good Luck.

gb500":30w64z1o said:
ok here is a size comparison between a ford Australia barra 4.0L six and that well know other ford motor - windsor V8.

very tall engine with the overhead cams and VVT stuff on the top

i know of NO conversions into the small engine bay falcons ie 60 to 66.in australia

there are a few into the wider engine bay 70 onwards falcons.

BarraI6_vs_WindsorV8.jpg

here is the dimensions for the australian ford 250 (and late australian 200-same blocks just differnt stroke and rods to the aust 250) from an australian industrial engine catalogue:
200%20250%20page%20enlarged_zpsicssag2k.jpeg

and the Australian - 188/221ci.

188%20221%20%20page%20enlarged_zpsfombmvin.jpeg

I have a 1998 Ranger XLT extended cab 4x4 with the 4.0L OHV V6 with the 5r55e 5spd auto. The engine is rated at 160HP @ 4200rpm/225lbft @ 2800rpm, it's just enough to get it down the road and return 15mpg. The best engine that came in the Ranger would be the 4.0L OHC V6 rated at 205HP @ 5200rpm/245lbft @ 3000rpm; it should be a straight bolt-in.

Another swap is the 5.0L V8 from the Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer. It's not a straight bolt-in but purchasing a donor vehicle would help.
Here's a link:
http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/ ... 11-ranger/

Hope this helps.

I have looked into the "explorer 5.0" i wouldn't touch the SOHC with someone else's engine bay. The fore and aft timing chains are a pass for me. I am at a loss however. Im aware of the potential ease of the 5.0. And being in michigan its not hard to source parts as its Rustville USA. Bodies rot to flakes but the power trains are ok. Last ex i saw with a 5.0 was 750 with blown main seals.. And the 4r70/75w in them is easily one of the best autos out there. 230 hp at the crank is the rating.. And with my 2.5 its the 4r44e.. So its a thought but i cant get over the insane numbers of the Aussie 4.0's.. And if a 4bt can get crammed into em..

A problem you may have acquiring an Intech or Barra 4.0 is finding a vendor who can sell you one.
See my previous post on this issue: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77770
Any engine 2003 or newer can't be imported into the United States and legally run on the road.

One vendor has found a way around getting these engine into the US, he breaks them down and sells them as "parts".
He sells the short block as one "part", the head and manifolds as another "part", and the wiring and electronics as another.
Some assembly required.

If you're interested, here's a link to his auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-0L-24V- ... ngine.TRS0

Good luck.

xctasy - thanks so much for your info, comparison, and critique of the Barra. It needed to be taken down a notch, I've been watching too many of Haltech's YouTube videos on it.

Back