Intake to Head Bolt Size

Matthew68

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know the bolt size and thread for the 8 bolts to attach the 250-2V (non-crossflow) intake to cylinder head? I took the intake to the hardware store to test some out and I found some grade 8s that are 3/8-16 x 1.5 that appear to work. There are a few holes that I get a little resistance on while others go in smooth. Didn't want to force anything and instead verify the correct size.

Cheers,
Matthew

The 3/8 X 16 UNC studs should be right I don't know the correct length, my best guess is that they would be about 1 3/4 inches long. But to figure it all out you would only need to know the depth of the stud holes in the head, the thickness of the intake manifold flange, the intake gasket thickness, plus the thickness of the mounting nuts plus washers. Ford used studs that had corse threads 3/8 X 16 in the head boss holes and Fine threads 3/8 X 24 UNF on the manafold side. On those holes that are a bit tight they likely have some dirt, crude, or rust. A 3/8 X 16 bottoming tap should be able to clean the threads so they work correctly. Good luck (y) :nod:

bubba22349":7tw3vz1z said:
The 3/8 X 16 UNC studs should be right I don't know the correct length, my best guess is that they would be about 1 3/4 inches long. But to figure it all out you would only need to know the depth of the stud holes in the head, the thickness of the intake manifold flange, the intake gasket thickness, plus the thickness of the mounting nuts plus washers. Ford used studs that had corse threads 3/8 X 16 in the head boss holes and Fine threads 3/8 X 24 UNF on the manafold side. On those holes that are a bit tight they likely have some dirt, crude, or rust. A 3/8 X 16 bottoming tap should be able to clean the threads so they work correctly. Good luck (y) :nod:

Thanks, bubba. I guessed at 3/8 x 16 x 1.5. Seems to fit!

Back