distributor. final ignition time

I know it sez "Aussie" on the index page & we get plenty guys from Oz on there but -
if U look closer the title sez "and South of the Border" too.

[highlight=yellow]https://fordsix.com/viewforum.php?f=3[/highlight]

You may have better luck w/a greater percent of ppl who look at that forum who can answ this Q.
We DO have more volumn of viewers here, tho - just probably less knowledge of the Argie motor.

And that is what ur Q is abt, no?
So I would suggest U post the Q there AND use "Argie timing" in the title line.
(may B even the title I used above - 4 this post)?i

You have a Dynamic Compression ratio around 8.2
I would think that a total timing of 34 degrees BTDC would be good
The one way to know for sure would be to tune your engine using either an engine dyno or a chassis dyno.

Please delete the rest of your duplicate post with this same title. "distributor. final ignition time"
Thanks

you could possibly create ad equation that would tell you what initial timing, total timing, and what ignition curve you need, but there are many more factors to take into account than just compression ratio, cam timing, combustion chamber shape, intake and exhaust efficiency, even things like the shape of the piston dome are among the things you need to consider.

as you can see this is why we often use general rules of thumbs to start with and tune from there. generally i suggest running between 10-14 degrees initial timing with a total timing of 32-28 degrees, again depending on what the engine wants. you also need to determine how quickly the timing needs to come in, and when it is all in.

dyno tuning is the best way to do this, the next best way is to get out on the track and run the car hard and find the best lap times, just remember to be consistent with your driving to avoid that being a factor.

What are the specs on your camshaft??
What is your cranking compression. When doing this make sure the throttle is wide open.

YES, there is a formula for just about every motor situation, but you need to know when the intake valve closes for accurate dynamic compression, static compression, rod length, deck height, volume of any dish/eyebrow cuts in pistons and head gasket piston diameter, plus the crush-height of the head gasket. Go to Physics Forum online and look at Mechanical Automotive questions.

Back