Casting numbers

gooberpat

Having trouble decoding casting number on the block of a cross flow.
The number reads:
C84DA 8015AA.

On the other side of the block is :
JG23FG
33383C

Also, on the head, the casting number between intake number 1 and number 2 has been ground off.
I believe when I bought the engine, the seller might have said it was recently rebuilt.
On the valve cover it says, "It's a GEM".
I see there is a company called GEM that does engine rebuilds, so that part makes sense.
But why grind off the casting number on the head?

Head casting numbers.

/viewtopic.php?t=2766&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Block is in fact an XE 1984 Falcon GĹ

84DA 6015AA.

See breakout codes by 81Capri

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=70372&p=539587&hilit=australian+cross+flow+block+codea#p539587

Heads were machined, and the numbers changed for the final destination.When rebuilt, part of the OEM code Ford and Honda put on it may have been removed. Heads were supposed to have an 8.8:1 ratio for the 4.1 only EFi, and either 9.35 or 9.15, for the same headed 4.1 or 3.3 2bbl Alloy Head II. The earlier heads before March 1983 have no injector relief cuts in the intake ports. The 1985 XF and revised ULP Jan 86 on heads have a vast array of other numbers and chamber cc's, 8.7:1 compressions on all, but as well, differing valve sizes and swirl ramps. Often, a later or earlier head gets substituted, and sometimes the remanufacturer is asked by the supplier to remove any references to the head casting. The XE's were made under a raft of changes, as the cars went to different states and countries. GEM were one of the best reconditioners around. If it wasnt ground off at birth by FoMoCo or Honda( who made the heads) then GEM would have done it if the head wasnt Originak to thr engine block.

For codes,

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=18418&hilit=engine+numbers

see the stickes on block and head casting numbers in the Aussie Forum.

Back