Motor mounts for Xflow into 65 Mustang

gooberpat

Getting close to putting my xflow into my 65 Mustang.
I took a look at the motor mounts and didn't like what I saw.
The part of the xflow motor mount that mates to the unibody is wider from front to back than the unibody mounting location itself.
Can't use 1/2 of each mount since the Mustang has a single bolt between the upper and lower mount and the xflow uses two bolts.

I know I'm not the first to do this swap so hopefully someone who has done it will see this post.

Just use the 65 round body mounts on the two bolt 250 x flow engine. Ford Australia just added provisikn for anothef bolt.

Can you be a bit more specific about the Mustang side of the motor mount.
I have looked in several catalogs and don't see anything I would call round.

gooberpat":woq56lpa said:
Can you be a bit more specific about the Mustang side of the motor mount.
I have looked in several catalogs and don't see anything I would call round.

Round body is the 1960 to 1965 Falcon based Mustang. Everything was the same as the early Falcon Round body stuff.

The Aussie engine engine has extra transfer lugs along the base of the sump where the engine mounts connect. You don't have to use them all. You use the 170 or 200 engine mounts, and plant them on the existing 250 X-flow engine. Ford desired to use any engine up to a 289 in the Mustang, so you can use the old six cylinder mounting spots with the X flow engine.

xctasy":woq56lpa said:
dayman2.jpg

dayman3.jpg

xctasy":woq56lpa said:
The 138 is about 26.5" long, the PASX 2.6 was 28.7".

The Ford 200 was 29.5, the 221 and 250, 30.5"

The Falcon engine and Holden red motor are both 4.08" bore spacing engines, the 1960 onwards Vauxhalls have plenty of room for the longer 2.6 and 3.3 Vauxhall engines. The radiators were massive, and that takes up most of the space.

Block face to tip of water pump pulley.

The PASY had 3.76" bore spacings just like the 130.5/138 cube Grey motor Holdens, because they were based on the same deep skirt short stoke revision that gave birth to the 1955 EIP Vauxhall engine. The Holden engine can be fitted up with the four bearing steel Vauxhall crank shaft.

The PASX had its nose changed to make space for the 4.125" bore sapcing 2.6 and 3.3 engines.

The Phillip Island "Armstrong 500" winner was actually the 138, the later 2.6 wasn't as quick or fast as the modified 2.262 liter high compression 82.5 hp engine.

Any thing fits in a Vokky. One thin Nissan Skyline or Pintara radiator, the right sump and welded in engine mounts, and your good.

see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77062&p=593124#p593124
gb500":woq56lpa said:
ok here is a size comparison between a ford Australia barra 4.0L six and that well know other ford motor - windsor V8.

very tall engine with the overhead cams and VVT stuff on the top

i know of NO conversions into the small engine bay falcons ie 60 to 66.in australia

there are a few into the wider engine bay 70 onwards falcons.

BarraI6_vs_WindsorV8.jpg

here is the dimensions for the australian ford 250 (and late australian 200-same blocks just differnt stroke and rods to the aust 250) from an australian industrial engine catalogue:
200%20250%20page%20enlarged_zpsicssag2k.jpeg

and the Australian - 188/221ci.

188%20221%20%20page%20enlarged_zpsfombmvin.jpeg

xctasy:215lxo3e said:
Whats really crazy is that the whole plan was probably to update the whole engine mount system to the normal F100 Big Six frame insulator.

What never changed was the line up with number two frost/welch plug.

The way others like dayman have done it is to angle the mount from the spring tower.

dayman%202.jpg

That allows the mount to be further appart to make the 11 inch clearance between the left and right block mount holes on the 250, verses the 9-1/8" for the 200.

dayman%203.jpg

69 250 engine mounts were center percussion, but so were the 1979 Fairmont mounts. SAE papers described how they worked, they were subject to a patent back then.

They still line up with the second from front frost/welch plugs like all US small sixes, but they changed the position of the engine mount in section, and everything from 1969 onwards went to a new type.

Comparing Howards (66shelby) posts to Woody's (Parkwood60) shows the exact same thing...the mounts moved forward one group of transfer line bolt holes compared with the 1960-1968 Ford in line small sixes.

BILLYBeerRacingHeader.jpg

Pictures11002.jpg

Aussie Falcon couldn't make the stock 1960 Falcon project was called the XK 2000 series by Robert McNamara; the engine mounts dating back to 1960 just didn't work on the Australian roads; the engines used to fall out after rough road washboards broke the mounts and insulators, so they changed to a different type with the XM Falcon 1963. They added another bolt to it in the late sixties.

This is how it looked by 1971

left_right_xy_xa_xb_xc_xd_xe_xf_6cylider_engine_mounts.jpg

AUS%20X-SERIES%20%20250%20Falcon%2007.jpg

So any Aussie block has the insulator offset half the transfer bolt spacing as per the diagram below.

tony_IMG_1042_engine_mounts.jpg

The Aussie mounts are very handy for fitting small six cylinder engines to Fox bodies without having to use the V8/V6 or 4 cylinder short horn K members. Grab the stock frame insulators, and bend the bolt hangers 90 degrees to the flat position, and the two bolt holes line up with the rear hole on the V8/V6/4 cylinder mount perches.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Aussie I6 never, ever moved to 69-70 center percussion engine mounts that the Big I6 uses as well as the Fox I6's and all X-shells.

The 250 log, 2V and X-flow in Cortina, Falcon or Bronco, it always used the rearward isolator engine mount.

The Aussie i6 has the engine mounts with an extra gusset. They allow the stock V8 X-shell cross member with its pads to be used.

Fitting a 300 or big US 250, or Aussie 250 with these means you just have to bend the isolator mount tangs back to fit a Fox body, or just use the V8 X-shell cross-member to fit the Falcon/Mustang

The US small six engine mounts were generally center percussion, forward mount,from the first 1963 200 till the last 1983 Fox LTD/Fairmont.

When fitting the Aussie six to the Fox body, just use the Aussie engine mounts, bend back the isolator tangs, and they line up with the two holes the I6 K member has.

Welcome aboard.
Several of our members have gone this route, so you should get a response.

Back