Big Blue Build

Moderator: Mod Squad

Not2slow

Big Blue Build

Post #1 by Not2slow » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 pm

I've been on a mission to build a big six for a hamb type dragster. I'm an engineer, so I tend to over do things. I have my build figured out thanks to the many people on this site.

I have one more thing I need help with. HEADS!!!
I want to section a 240 head. I know this has been done and there are pics on the inter web, but I need them in my hand so I can see what I'm dealing with.

I have one good 240 head and one good/ok 300 head. My plan is to run the 240 head. I want to section a head on my bandsaw right through the intake and exhaust valve guides, so I can see where I can port. Then I'll port the next cylinder until I'm happy with it, then section it. Then I can see where I can do better. Third time on the next cylinder (#3), and section again. I figure third or fourth iteration I should be right on. I do have access to a flow bench, so I can test as I go.

This is where I need help. I either need another 240 head to cut up, or cut up the 300 head. The question is........are the runners and water passages exactly the same for 240 and 300 heads?
If not, where/what is a good source for 240 head cores?

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Big Blue Build

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:37 am

Welcome to the best Ford Six site Not2slow, :hmmm: sounds like a great project! One of our site members is working on one of those sectioned heads currently. To the best of my knowledge if you have a 240 and a 300 carb head they are virtually identical with a few exceptions. These are that ports are the same for both the the 240 or 300 only that the 240 head has a smaller Combustion Chamber which gives it a .4 to .5 higher static compression ratio. Other differences are that the valve train parts used on the later 1980's heads i.e. The rocker arms push rods, valve springs etc. can be different depending on the year of the castings. Look at your casting numbers and the date codes if you have them they can be better matched. Good luck and be sure to post your questions over in the 240 / 300 Big Six Forum were more site members will see them. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Not2slow

Re: Big Blue Build

Post #3 by Not2slow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 am

:thumbup: