New guy

Moderator: Mod Squad

BLACKSHEEP

New guy

Post #1 by BLACKSHEEP » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself here on this forum. Just bought an 85 F150 with the best engine ever made. Have spent tha last 3 days converting from feedback carb to regular carb , and single wire distributor. I have to say , the truck runs amazing since the change. But, the old EGR system was shot, and something had to be done. I also have a 48 F1 Ford truck with a "385" series 460 big block in it. I'll post some photos of what I did converting the F150 tomorrow.

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Re: New guy

Post #2 by wsa111 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:44 pm

WOW, welcome aboard.
The modified six is a torque monster in the 150 trucks.
Your other ride with a 460 is also very interesting. No substitute for cubic inches. The down side is fuel mileage when compared to your 300". Bill
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, HEI dist. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 am

:beer: welcome to the Ford Six site Blacksheep, lots of those 85 and 86 feedback carb's have been changed over to the 84 down carb and DuraSpark II system to simplify them. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

BLACKSHEEP

Post #4 by BLACKSHEEP » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:40 pm

Yes sir. I contiplated the Duraspark distributor. But, I have the one wire GM type in my F1 , and it makes things so much easier. I drove the F150 today. I cannot even hear that thing running. Funny, I cranked it up but at first didnt think it was running. I found out when I hit the key again, hahaha.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #5 by xctasy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:04 am

Welcome!

I love the gutts and brains of the work that went into making the YFA Carter a feedback carb...all that started in 1980 with California and High Altitude 250's and 300's and 255's (Apparently, the 1980 Granada first, then the 1980 CA and HA F trucks and E Vans).

The 1985 EECIV with its new Ignition was supposed to fix the problems with the system, but it added the TFi ignition and then the low voltage problems with the EECIV. MCU's were higher voltage, and quite robust, the DSII Yellow control too.

I'm real lucky, my first employer was an ex Ford Service Techncian, and he said as long as you didn't treat it like a carb truck, and used the Star Reader, and followed the 125 page EVTM book, you'd normally be okay. Unless the Mixture Control Solenoid acted up. And it did. Often. The YFA Carter was already a pretty advanced and oddball thing to tune....it got real hard with wrong parts, like the earlier anti rocking plates, earlier metering rods with different tapers, and all the wrong stuff added with carb rebuilts, and funny foreign objets from the MCS valve falling into the float bowl.

I've been working on running six YFA carbs together with the Duty time regulator to control open and closed loop fuel control.

If you got any of the EECIV brains left around, I'd sure like to buy it.

I've done a whole lot of I've done the electronics stuff in my 48 years, and I like modern EFi stuff, but that 1985 stuff was cutting edge, and because no one undestood like Pulse Width Modulation, metering rod feedback carbs and cast iron headed i6, those system weren't ever tended to and supported like trhey should. Fords wiring for thoses years was pretty bad for durability, and as time has gone on, you realise that Ford was just way to smart for the F truck crowd.

I like those systems a a whole lot more know that the answers have been given to what all the parts do.

They are supposed to interface with these following 9 features

1 EGR
2 AIR Check Valve
3 Electric "Pulloff" Choke
4 ISC (Feedback, VOTM or Idel Solenoid, non feedback)
5 Not described
6 Choke Pulloff (Aplication of Hand Vacuum to disengage the choke quickly when warm)
7 TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor)
8 MCS (Mixture Control Solenid)
9 Fuel filter[/quote]

XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

BLACKSHEEP

Post #6 by BLACKSHEEP » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:05 am

I still have the feedback carb intact, and unmolested. The EGR, I chopped up to make my spacer, and I plugged the exahust hole. I really have no need for this carb, and was just going to stick it on Ebay to capture some of my cost on the new carb. I still can't believe how simple it was to make this truck run like new again. I do know that the old system had some issues that I wasn't capable of diagnosing myself. This site has been a wealth of info .Thanks