Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2018 Contributors:
StarDiero75, curts56, DannyG, B RON CO, wsa111, Captainslow42, falconcritter
Econoline, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, 95FordFleetside, turbo6, Max_Effort, WorldChampGramp
cr_bobcat, C.S.Designs, pmuller9, gus91326, rwbrooks50, rocklord, drag-200stang, Big64my79Effie, CNC-Dude, gb500

2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe

Hello from Mexico

Moderator: Mod Squad

lcasarin

Hello from Mexico

Post #1 by lcasarin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Hello all!

I´m Luis, an attorney from Monterrey, Mexico. Not knowledgeable at all regarding mechanic or cars or motors.

Since we were dating my wife always told me that her dream car is a ´65 mustang convertible; so for her 41th birthday I got her one on Ebay!

Right now the car is with the previous owner in Ohio, I have to get it to Brownsville Tx. (any reputable and cheap transporters you may suggest?) and then export it to Mexico to have it moved to Monterrey.

So it´s going to be a while to get my hands on the car specially because the importations to Mexico are kind of tricky at the moment.

I intend to change its color, since my wife loves red but I would like to keep it as original as possible part wise, meaning I intend to keep the 200 1v 6cyl motor it came with. And I´ve been reading online what can be done with this motor and saw that this was the place to come, so here I am.

My intention is that, it might be a while until I get my car in my city I can stock up on parts to improve security and performance, so any suggestions regarding mods and tune ups will be greatly appreciated as well as any suggestion regarding trustworthy vendors to get the parts

Anyway, that´s me and I expect to learn a lot from you guys

Best regards,

Luis
Image Image

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Re: Hello from Mexico

Post #2 by wsa111 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 pm

Welcome aboard Luis. I hope you get your dream car without any problems.
Vintageinlines has many performance parts for your car.
If you need distributor help just give a shout. Bill
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, HEI dist. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Welcome Luis to the Ford Six forums, that's a great gift to your wife! Good luck on your plans for the Mustang Convertable. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Max_Effort

Post #4 by Max_Effort » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:53 am

Hi Luis, welcome.

From the photos, it appears to me that you have purchased a partially completed restoration project.
Did you have a third party assess the vehicle?
Does it have the missing trim pieces?

This is a 54 year old car. Before I considered any performance improvement, the car needs a thorough inspection and assessment.

Critical areas are brakes, steering and suspension. A priority would be installing a dual master cylinder brake system. Make sure all steering components are in excellent condition. Also inspection of the underbody for any rust/rot in critical areas.

Then an assessment of the drivetrain. You may need to remove and rebuild the engine, transmission and differential.

If the engine is in good shape, (good compression, no leaks, no noises) then I would consider upgrading the Ignition to electronic, rebuild or replace the carburetor along with tune up, spark plugs, wires.

The 200 powered mustang is going to be a slow cruiser. Most mods for power, probably will make the car less enjoyable for your wife to drive. If the engine needs to be rebuilt, the 2 barrel carb conversion might be worthwhile. Any of the racy stuff will increase power, but reduce low speed drive-ability.

Do you have the same parts and repair availability in Mexico as USA?
If not, it might be worth having the car checked over in Texas. Then you can buy any components needed.

Good luck, be patient, the end result should be good.