New to the 300 inline powerplant

Moderator: Mod Squad

[ +_+ ]

New to the 300 inline powerplant

Post #1 by [ +_+ ] » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Just purchased my first truck with 300 inline 6. It's an '82 F150 2WD 4-speed with ~94,000 miles. I'm the second owner. The previous owner drove it very little to get an "exempt" emissions sticker (I've never seen one until now). My county fortunately does not require emissions. It ran pretty well but seemed a little rough and when I got it home, I discovered it has the original plug wires with 1981 written on them. I replaced plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, and coil. Seems to run a little better now with less gas smell (the cab still has grandpa smell). When I drive it, it seems to work better starting in 2nd gear at stops, is that normal? 1st gear just seems so low.

I'm still trying to learn more about the truck. I plan to mostly use it for firewood and pulling the tractor/livestock around; very few miles I expect. If anyone knows anything more about this truck, or any advice that I should know, please share! I'd like to know the rear axle gear ratio but don't know where to find that. Next on my list is to replace the fixed (or froze clutch?) fan with an electric fan. I'm sure I'll have questions and need advice in the future.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: New to the 300 inline powerplant

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Welcome to the Ford Six site [+_+], you can find out most of what you want to know about your truck from the door Warrantee / Vin. tag this will have codes for the Axle, Trans, etc. once you have that info I can tell you more about your truck. Replacing the froze up clutch fan will be considerably cheaper then installing electric fans and give you back some fuel economy. Good luck on your 82 pickup :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.