Instead of a ring I got her a Ford. Then I had to have one too.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Motorboy

Instead of a ring I got her a Ford. Then I had to have one too.

Post #1 by Motorboy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:55 am

Hi All! I've stumbled onto this forum numerous times when searching the internet for answers, so i thought i'd finally join.

My Ford inline story:

10 years ago I got engaged to my now wife. I had no plan, no ring, and no money. We were dancing and I just blurted out "This is really fun, Do you want to do this for the rest of our lives?" She said yes, and we moved to a small apartment on a farm where she had her horse. a week later her hyundai blew both head gaskets, developed a size-able hole in the sub frame, and the transmission lost 1st gear. I had $1000 saved up for a ring, but she NEEDED wheels. She was tired of trying to haul hay in the trunk of a car, and wanted a truck. We found an '89 F250 on a municipal auction. It had an efi 300 six, c6 transmission, dana 60, and only 49,000 miles. It had been owned by the Philadelphia port authority and spent it's whole life driving up and down a pier. We still have "Hub" (she likes to name her cars) and he has been the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned!

2 years ago I decided I really wanted my own truck. By that point in time I had fallen in love with the big inline six, but i wanted a carburetor, manual trans, and 4wd. I was at a farm auction and saw a clapped out 1980 f250 with a wood flatbed, a 300 six, np435 tranny, np208 transfer case, ttb dana 44 front, and a dana 60 rear. Nobody bid on it, so I walked up to the guy and offered him $300 for it and I wound up driving it home. It's my current project that I want to turn into a really fun work truck. I got 90% of the bodywork done this summer, so once the weather gets warm again I aim to tackle the mechanical, and hop up the engine a bit.

Nice to be here. I know I'll have a lot of questions as most of my mechanical experience, beyond repair and maintenance, is with '70's honda motorcycles. Cheers!

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Instead of a ring I got her a Ford. Then I had to have one too.

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:00 am

:beer: congrats that's a great story, and welcome to the Ford Six Site Motorboy. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Motorboy

Re: Instead of a ring I got her a Ford. Then I had to have one too.

Post #3 by Motorboy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:08 pm

Thanks! I've read through a lot of FAQ and other posts. I like how positive an informative people are here. Really a nice place to learn!