My '63 Merc Comet build.

Moderator: Mod Squad

an_drew_1

My '63 Merc Comet build.

Post #1 by an_drew_1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:47 am

I've been around reading valuable information on this site for nearly a year. I bought a '63 Mercury Comet a year ago with a 170. Long story short I'm nearly finished building a 200 block now.

Details: 170 ran but severely lacked power. Notable valve chatter. Compression was between 80-90 on all cylinders. Through this site I learned my block was a '61 model 170 out of a Falcon, and the head was a '78 model out of a Fairmont. That combination explains the low compression (less stroke and my head is the 62cc chamber). Long search for a useable 170 or early 200 head resulted in buying a complete 200 motor and fordomatic trans out of a '63 Fairlaine. Sadly, the head wasn't useable. I decided to rebuild the 200 block and use/rebuild the late 200 head.

Now for some advantages and disadvantages of what I have going on:
Advantages; Bigger motor. Hydraulic lifters. Big log intake. Only 0.020 machined off cylinders. 0.018 milled on head.
Disadvantages; 1/4" distributor drive so have to stick with SCV carb and loadomatic distributor. 4 main bearings on the '63 block.

Anyhow, this ramble was my introduction. Any input and advice is appreciated.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: My '63 Merc Comet build.

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:57 am

Welcome to the site an_drew_1, you have most of the right parts! They just need a little more work to get the full potential out of them, like milling the head some more to get the chombustion chamber size smaller shoot for a compression ratio in the 9.0 to 9.4 range. There are a couple ways to get a better Distribitor to fit too. Good luck on your 200 build :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

an_drew_1

Post #3 by an_drew_1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 am

bubba22349 wrote:Welcome to the site an_drew_1, you have most of the right parts! They just need a little more work to get the full potential out of them, like milling the head some more to get the chombustion chamber size smaller shoot for a compression ratio in the 9.0 to 9.4 range. There are a couple ways to get a better Distribitor to fit too. Good luck on your 200 build :thumbup: :nod:

Thanks for your reply. My overall goal is for a dependable occasional driver. Being a 4 main bearing not sure I want to go heavy on performance. I did originally want around 0.070 milled off the head. I don't remember why I settled for a standard resurface. I did have to take it 80 miles away to a shop that could mount it for the grind though. I was planning on installing the petronix 1266 module to eliminate points, but that still leaves me stuck with the 1100 carb. on a large log intake. Can the guts of a later model distributor be installed in my 1/4" drive distributor? Are the castings the same on the upper end? What are my options? At this point, the block is completely assembled and the head ready to bolt on.

bmbm40

Post #4 by bmbm40 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:26 pm

Cool car to have it will be a blast to drive when you get it going again. The four main engine will probably last with performance mods as long as you don't rev really high and/or abuse it.
I just learned you can have the carb hole enlarged to use a 63/64 1101 carb and get 210 cfm and still be compatible with your scv/lom.
30 extra cubes is an automatic torque increase you will enjoy. And get the Pertronix module and performance coil/wires.
I can recommend getting a copy of the Falcon Performance Handbook, it is full of details and suggestions for what you are working on right now. It is a valuable resource for the Ford six owner and is a tremendous value for the few dollars it cost.
I would consider swapping the fordomatic for a c4 though, along with the extra 30 cubes and bigger carb will give you a greater feeling of confidence when you mash down on the gas to merge onto the freeway.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

'81 F150 4x4 300

New guy? Get this>http://www.falcon6handbook.com

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #5 by bubba22349 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm

an_drew_1 wrote:
bubba22349 wrote:Welcome to the site an_drew_1, you have most of the right parts! They just need a little more work to get the full potential out of them, like milling the head some more to get the chombustion chamber size smaller shoot for a compression ratio in the 9.0 to 9.4 range. There are a couple ways to get a better Distribitor to fit too. Good luck on your 200 build :thumbup: :nod:

Thanks for your reply. My overall goal is for a dependable occasional driver. Being a 4 main bearing not sure I want to go heavy on performance. I did originally want around 0.070 milled off the head. I don't remember why I settled for a standard resurface. I did have to take it 80 miles away to a shop that could mount it for the grind though. I was planning on installing the petronix 1266 module to eliminate points, but that still leaves me stuck with the 1100 carb. on a large log intake. Can the guts of a later model distributor be installed in my 1/4" drive distributor? Are the castings the same on the upper end? What are my options? At this point, the block is completely assembled and the head ready to bolt on.

Don't worry much about it being the four main block they are still plenty tough for a performance build up plus yes it can be very dependable too! If you decide to mill the head more just rember that with the new type head gaskets like a FelPro Perma Torque they are about .050 thick whereas the orginal Steel shim head gaskets Ford used were about.025. So right away you need a .025 cut to an early original 170 or 200 small chamber head (1961 to 65) just to get back to the stock performance your engine would have had when new. The early 170 heads had about 48 to 51 CC chambers, 200 heads had 51 to 53 CC chambers and both engines had a 8.7 to 1 CR (Compression Ratio). Your late head has a 62 CC chamber that gives you considerably less CR. So roughly if you cut it about .020 it's likely now at about a 61 to 60 CC chamber still its a lot bigger Cumbustion chamber then what's idel for a good mild performance build.

Also consider opening up the carb hole on the log intake to atleast 1 3/4 inch (some go as much as 2 inch) to improve the flow and so you can use a newer bigger carb too. Optimal for a good street performance build up of a 170 or 200 engine is to zero deck the block i.e. Pistions flush with top of block. Combustion Chamber measured (CC'ed) and milled so that the static Compression Raito is in the 9.0 to 9.1 range.

To my knowledge the guts of a late style Distribitor can't be swapped into the old LOM Distribitor, but there are options (see link below) this is for a very good group of posts discussing almost all them except for the HEI type made with a 1/4 inch drive shaft, you can check Vintage Inlines for its availability. Best of luck on your rebuild :thumbup: :nod:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77360&p=595451#p595451
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.