First time post, long time 300 owner

Moderator: Mod Squad

n8in8or

First time post, long time 300 owner

Post #1 by n8in8or » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello,

I have owned my 1994 F150 with a 300 since 2006. I bought it from a co-worker who wrecked it by running over a Saturn. I bought from him and immediately converted it from 2wd to 4wd since the front suspension was trashed. 2 weeks after the conversion and making sure everything else was up to snuff, I drove it to Seattle. The mileage wasn't the best (31 inch tires, automatic trans and 3.36 gears were mostly to blame), but it did the job reliably. Since then the truck was my daily driver for 5 years, an occasional trailer puller and just regular pickup truck whenever I needed it to be. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Now I've decided to add a new chapter to its life. I foresee in the long run that I will always use the truck as a useful machine out in the yard hauling brush around or when I just need a pickup, but I am also going to be using it as an off road toy now too for the next year or so. Eventually I want to build a different truck as a serious off road machine to really beat on, but in the meantime I want to start doing some off roading at the local parks and this truck should ably fill my needs. So I am going to do some things that not only make it a little more capable off road, but also a little more fun to drive in other situations.

What I didn't mention is some small upgrades I did to it in the past. I of course did a tune up (a couple of them since I've owned it so long), but I have only done a couple "performance" upgrades really. One thing I did was change the 3.36 gears to 3.55s. This helped, but I always thought it could use more gear than that to help the 300. I also made my own exhaust for the truck - I made new head pipes that started at the EFI manifolds and came together at the factory flange location. I then made a y-pipe at that flange and then did a single exhaust all the way out back. To be honest, I didn't notice a huge improvement from the exhaust, but I may have had expectations that were too high. I always hated how the truck ran out of steam before the shifts. I purchased a Crane 503905 cam for it after reading some posts on FTE, but never installed it.

This takes me to where I am today: I purchased a 1995 4.9 with supposedly only 108,000 miles for $125. I figured I couldn't really go too wrong for that price, especially since it had a 3G alternator on it. My thought was at least to use the head off of it because I think the head gasket is going bad on the engine in my truck. And of course, while doing a head gasket, why not do some porting to a head and install it instead!? I would also take the opportunity to finally install the cam and do a steel timing set. Maybe some rocker arms, too??? Not sure. Well anyway, I got the engine disassembled and found that it's a good rebuilder. I didn't really plan on doing a rebuild, but I think I will, just because. So this brings me to fordsix.com. I've been researching things to do and this looks like a great resource. Here's what I've decided so far:

Stock replacement hypereutectic pistons
Mild porting without disturbing the combustion chamber (I have a valve grinding machine that I've never used, so this is probably the opportunity to learn using it, too!)
Install the Crane Cam
Look into some different rocker arms. I've heard of the 250 Chevy and Big Block Chevy rocker arms on the 300, but I'm not sure what I want to do.....I'm kind of doing a budget build and don't want to spend a ton of cash on something. I will be researching this to see what makes sense.
I measured the crank journals and the rods are well within spec, while a couple of the mains are at the bottom of the spec. I won't be getting the crank ground or using undersized bearings, but I will go with a high volume pump to compensate for the extra clearance.
I am also going to mildly port the EFI manifolds just because. I will reuse my head pipes that I made 10 years ago, but probably get rid of the flange I made before. I will make an integral Y-pipe and do a ball-and-socket connection or something into a 2.5" exhaust (I can't remember if I have 2.5 or 2.25 on the truck right now).

As far as the truck goes, I picked up a set of axles with 4.10 gears installed. I think this will really make a big difference in how the truck drives. I plan on installing a Spartan locker in the rear for a little better off road capability. I am also planning on a 2-3" lift to help with clearance off road without making the truck too tall. I am keeping the 31s that are on it since I just bought them and they work really well.

Well I guess that's it (I'm sure that's enough! :lol: ). I look forward to getting to know you guys and learning more about what to do to the 300 while I'm building it. Happy New Year!

-Nate
1994 F150 4x4, 4.9 E4OD. EFI turbo build in progress....

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: First time post, long time 300 owner

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Welcome Nate, to the best Ford Six Site for knowledgeable people and info! You should also post you questions and story over in the 240 / 300 Big Six Forum were more of the site members will see it too (the link is below). Good luck on build up. :thumbup: :nod:

viewforum.php?f=2
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

n8in8or

Re: First time post, long time 300 owner

Post #3 by n8in8or » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks Bubba! Once I finish reading the FAQs I will for sure do some posting!
1994 F150 4x4, 4.9 E4OD. EFI turbo build in progress....