Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Hello fellow six cyl. enthusiasts,

Moderator: Mod Squad

65 F-100 pete

Hello fellow six cyl. enthusiasts,

Post #1 by 65 F-100 pete » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:56 pm

I am pleased to be part of this group. I like six cylinder engines for lots of reasons. I have a 240 ci 6 in my '65 F-100. The first 240 was the original one (17 yrs.old). It lasted 2 yrs. I replaced it with the 2nd one . That one was good for 8 yrs. The 240 in there now is 28 yrs. faithful, @ 162,000 miles. Burns zero oil. It is a Fred Jones motor. When it had about 100,000 miles, the motor acted like the points were pitted. Changed them. No better. I finally realized that the camshaft gear was the problem.
Sure enough...the teeth were fiber/plastic. Ha! So bought a steel gear. Put a new oil pump in too.
I also change the valve stem seals every 10 yrs. I am real careful to change out the motor oil at 3,000 miles. If say, the 3,000 mi. will come due in the middle of the up coming week...I change it the weekend before. Use 20W50. Lots of oil pressure, no bearing noises. The brgs. would talk to me on a long incline in 3rd. Not anymore.
I had the steering box reworked. Blue Top Steering in N. Dakota did a great job. I also put a set of cast iron headers on. Made a heat exchanger out of 1" aluminum. Bolted that to the underside of intake. One inch aluminum is thick enough to drill & tap 3/8" NPT for heater hose connections. The block of alum. is the same shape as the underside of where the stock ex. mnfld used to go. I found that to bolt up intake & ex.mnfld., I could not use a 6"-3/8 extension to tighten up mnflds. So a deep socket & ratchet worked.
With the headers...the difference is something. I take inclines now and barely slow down. The same inclines with the restricting stock ex. mnfld...I would slow down quite a bit.
I had the speedometer reworked by Scott's Speedometer Service in Pontiac Michigan. Now the speedometer needle is steady, no more bouncing.
I have 3/4 leaf springs in the rear. I took off the stepside body, and bolted a 1/2" plate to the frame. On top of that is a Miller engine /generator welder. Right behind the drivers door, I have made a rack for oxy/acetylene bottles.
I get a very solid ride. I am using 16" wheels, Michelin premium tires, with inner tubes.
I had job at a metal fab. shop recently. It was 21 miles one way. I was getting 19 mpg.
19 yrs. ago, I had a shop put on a booster master cylinder from a '79 F-100. I needed that change. Where I lived before was pretty flat and the little master cyl. was ok. Not in mountanious N. Carolina.
If anyone wants to chat, I'd welcome that.
Best to everyone, Pete

'

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Re: Hello fellow six cyl. enthusiasts,

Post #2 by wsa111 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:32 pm

Welcome aboard Pete. The big six is a work horse. Enjoy the forum.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSII dist. MSD-6al & MSD-Blaster 8252 Coil. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:43 pm

A big Welcome to the Ford Six forums Pete, sounds like you have some great history with your 1965 F100! I am a big fan of those trucks too had a 1965 F350 for many years. :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

65 F-100 pete

Post #4 by 65 F-100 pete » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Hi bubba, Yeah, I have had many " adventures " with my truck. Biggest thing, I find any way...Is to keep a regular check on the radiator level, fan belt, rad. hoses, clamps, tire pressure ( checked at the end of the month, rain/shine ), Grease the front end every oil change, rotate the tires every other oil change. All that effort seems to expose potential troubles before the troubles get real bad.
Whar are some stories/ adventures you had ?
Happy new year to you and your family, Pete