Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

ford EIGHT cylinder questions

Moderator: Mod Squad

sdiesel

ford EIGHT cylinder questions

Post #1 by sdiesel » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:16 am

i get it this.
is not the time or the place for v8 questions. and i counted wires, this is an eight cylinder engine.

but it is ford and im as ignorant as ever . but here is to hoping you fellows have answer to the questions so posed.
the later 5.8 liter with fuel injection. is the upper plenum interchangable with the 5.0 fuel injection ?

Second question: the 5.0 and the 5.8 use different distributors right?

if i were to go duraspark with my 5.8 i need that blocks distributor....

thank you guys, and pardon my question. this is the only forum im on and the answers here are accurate
a long love affair with the 300 six.
my lastest and final fling is a fresh 300 in an 88 ford f350 dually 4X flatbed

xctasy
VIP Member

Re: ford EIGHT cylinder questions

Post #2 by xctasy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:57 am

EFi n 5.0 and 5.8 Windsor OHV engine Trucks were Speed Density Air flow metered, Bank fired, and had non Dual Synch TFi Ignition.

The roll out for EFi 5.8s were different to the truck 5.0s. For 5.8 EFi, it was 1988-97 5.8's, before then on from 1981, a non-feedback carb with Duraspark and 4180/4190 4bbl in the HO, or 2150 non feedback or feedback carb form.

Its a hailstorm of detail different from the passenger car 5.0 and P71/72 Squad Car 5.8's in the Grand Marq, Crown Vic Panthers.

Your basic issues are the same though. TFi and EFi EECIV are integrated parts, ignition and Injection work in co-hoots.

To run Duraspark in an EFi, you have to go back to a crank triggered Duraspark III system like the 1980-1982 351M and 400's used. Its possible to do so, but the EECIV is looking for handshake data from the TFi which will be missing unless to add the TFi parts to a Durasaprk II distributor. Which you can do easily. The Durasaprk III truck engines with ECA were effectively TFi ignitions in operation, work-alike systems that were close to the EECIV system.

The EECIV was designed to be integrated to the TFi unit, but it can be "unbundled", but its a little bit complicated. Dual-Synch Tfi is different to Bankfire TFi, and there is a similar CFi TFi system which is non dual synch as well.

Passenger car 5.0 and 5.8 EFi is normally Sequential Injected. But there were CFi's with TFi ignition.

So what you do depends on what you can get, and mix and match.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #3 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:45 am

Yes maybe on the the upper EFI intakes. :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
VIP Member

Post #4 by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:06 am

The 5.0 upper and the 5.8 upper are different. The 5.0 has oval runners and the 5.8 has rectangular(ish) runners and the cross sectional area is different so even if they bolted up there would be a gross mismatch.
FORD 300 INLINE SIX - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING

sdiesel

Post #5 by sdiesel » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:11 am

Thank you all.

sdiesel

Post #6 by sdiesel » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:13 am

The lower intake is identical? In terms of bolt pattern, rise of cylinder bank angle etc?

BigBlue94

Post #7 by BigBlue94 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:24 am

No, both lower and upper intakes are different between 5.0 and 5.8. The ONLY 351 upper that will bolt to 302 lower (or vise versa) is the GT40 lightling tubular intake. The 5.0 lower is too narrow to fit a 351 block. Even the fuel rails are a bit different. Normal 5.0s had the oval runners and 351 had Chevron shaped runners.

351 didnt get roller cams until 94.

Distributors are the same. Early 5.0 used a different firing order than the 5.8, but the dizzys are the same.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

MechRick

Post #8 by MechRick » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:05 pm

The 5.8L trucks used upper/lower intakes with inline oval ports. They were torque intakes so the cross sectional area is small.

The 5.0L car intakes used ports very similar to the 5.8 truck intake.

The 5.0L truck intakes used rectangular ports with a much larger cross sectional area. Back when performance intakes for Mustangs were non-existent, guys were using a truck lower with a well-ported 5.0L car upper.

The 5.8L Lightning used a GT40-style intake with staggered round ports.

For some reason I'm thinking the 5.0L distributor used a smaller drive hex for the oil pump drive shaft. Someone correct me...
1994 F150, 4.9L/ZF 5 speed, C-Vic police driveshaft
EFI head w/mild port work, 3 angle valve job
1996 long block, stock pistons, ARP rod bolts
Stock cam, aluminum cam gear
Hedman header, full mandrel bent duals, crossover, super turbos
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73244
Bronco II with a 2.3L swap http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=72863
1988 F250 2x4, 460 ZF 5 speed.

sdiesel

Post #9 by sdiesel » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 am

thanks for this all.
the motivations were a reliable system to take into remote places a long way from "home". the old systems are so incredibly reliable that i should not fear, but fear i do , a no-start or run poorly condition.
my life takes me into some lonely places periodically. like the anza borrego, my destination this winter.
i have heard the stories online of the systems being nearly impossible to diagnose .
the equipment to do this being obsolete and unobtainable if it did somewhere exist.
so i panic...just a bit.

my first thought is to swap out the eec -iv for a d spark with hei. and my go-to fish carb. adapted to the manifold, leaving everything else intact to revert when I return from this latest voyage.
i like the 351 manners under fuel injection. i like the 351 in any config. its a useful engine.
I bought the truck cause its nearly perfect condition. but for some recent neglect. but i do wish tha ti could be sure i was not changing out the fuel pump in some less than ideal location, or whatever.
this weekend
whole new fron suspension bits and goodies: ugly, messy, unpleasant job that i am not looking forward to.

i guess i will buy the probst book, and tuck it away for further reading at a later date.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #10 by xctasy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Knowing how great the bank fire speed density 5.8 EFi is, even for a novice, the EEC IV is a huge step up. The jet age and space age telecomunications analoge to digital systems kind of hand your butt to the bears if you have no backup singers. Point of Graces lead singer once said eveyone can drive a truck and trailer, but not everyone can back it up.

The problem with overland reliability was taken care of very well at point of sale by Ford by eight basic back-up strictures:-

1.the breakout box and
2. two KOEO, KOER, and
3. Star Test 6 pin Dealer Trouble Codes and 4. the EVTS manual for your year truck.
5.The TFi issues are taken care of by
a) having a proper spare TFi,
b) the SPOUT allen key removal,
c) the replacement Hall Effect pickup. Carry a spare.

6. The fuel pump is a nightmare if its
a) flytonge pickup or
b) earth, or
c) the Hi Lo system is compromised.

You have to back probe the system, and before that physically hear and check its running condition in KOEO.

7. Very rarely, the MAP sensor that reads and defines the engine fueling, it sometimes goes on holiday.Carry a spare.

8.During river crossings, the air intake on any EFi 5.0 or 5.8 or 7.5 is likely to get water logged and potentially hydraulic the engine.

These eight things allow you to avoid all the bluster and blind alley checks.

The EEC-4 has the same safegaurds you'd find in the Apollo Guidance Computer Moon Lander, except that all the 60 pins to the Electronic Engine Control module are just really moderately low quality and prone to oxidising and then the pinouts are not fully circuiting.

The failure of the capacitors inside the EEC 4 ECU is not uncommon, but it wont generally take the Earth Truck out of action.

The electric fuel pump is nice when it works. Its a conveluted problem when it fails...and it does so on a 12 degree or more slope with the trucks butt upslope. If its automatic, the engine is programed not to run below 670 rpm, the stall ratio keeps the C6 or E4OD engine operating. The manual TFi will run right down to 450 rpm in a granny low 4 or 5 speed.

Really, there is quite a lot to learn about how an old 5.8 EFi can be screwed over with a wrong spec TFi, a failed Hall sensor, or an O2 or other MAP or ECT sensor wire that isnt working through or to the 60 pin plug.

A simple code reader with a long cable, a breakout box that allows you to backprobe the 60 wires, and just following the normal 88 to 96 Electric Vacuum and Test Manual.

You can breath easy with an early EEC-IV computer.
Last edited by xctasy on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sdiesel

Post #11 by sdiesel » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 am

Xctasy, as is usual your posts contain a wealth of information. i need clarification on some points. here in the US ,

in this rig the SPOUT, is a plug, a block of plastic that cuts or continues the circuit. im unsure about an allen keyed config.
you are saying to pull this to revert to base timing?
The TFI, it is my intent to remote mount the TFI to a windier area of the motor box , hard by the radiator with the road breeze blowingon its buttocks might be a good place for the TFI
much else i intend to address. the ECU will get an inspection and the pins suitably doused in electrical cleaner and some dialectic grease if it seems necessary.

The fuel delivery system is by guess-and-by-god.
i dunno what to do with that complicated system. i
really do wonder what fords engineering dept was thinking when they built these systems.
"it looks good on paper" or
"it was a good idea at the time. "
or like the Germans:
"it Vurks-because -I says -It-ville"

the pumps have never given me any problem in the past, but that is meaningless information in this case.
and in the past ive been looney knickers about maintneance and upkeep of my possessions.
i suppose , drop the tanks, address the fine quality fuel level sending units, replace lift pumps, and strain the fuel carefully with new filters.

A MAP sensor, ive never had one go bad but a spare is cheap insurance

anyhoo, the whole system , as it ages,becomes at times very irascible and contrary.

to have a simple D spark with an even simplier carb lends to me a sense of security .
but even handed or even backhanded compliment; the EEC IV works splendidly when its on spot. And i hate to aboadon it if there is a hope that i can learn it and master its intricacies.
In my waning years on this planet i cannot afford to spend time learning things that are not germain to the proper functioning of a life carefully lived, i must pick and i must choose.
none the less there is a contingient of folks who have made this system bark like a fox. TwEECer and quarterhorse come to mind,
if they can do it so can i. I just hate to do it alongside the interstate in , of all states ,California.
thank you for this.
Clarification gratefully accepted, and any further hints, tips , ideas or considerations will be taken under advisement.

BigBlue94

Post #12 by BigBlue94 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:13 pm

Yes, removing the SPOUT reverts the engine to base timing. It is with the SPOUT removed, that you set your timing.

And yeah, I had my 5.0L/5.8L intake port ahapes reversed... oops.
1985 Bronco. 309ci I6, NP435, 4.56 gears, Detroit locker and tru-trac, 4" lift, and 37" swamper tires. The 309 is 9.75:1 CR with a Schneider 140H cam, 4bbl, roller rockers, larger valves, and headers.

sdiesel

Post #13 by sdiesel » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 pm

SPOUT , yes i got that thank you. but EXtasy talks about an allen key removal.... confused me.

further i wonder if i can advance the cam on this engine.

i am cautious because its a rebuilt motor and there is no telling what cam is in the block now. at least its painted ford blue so i assume its rebuilt.
it runs nicely but for a miss that im going to blame on the TFI module for now. as well as a cold idle stumble which im blaming on a leaky water pump, keeping the coolant too low for ECU reading. the engine had several gallons it seemed of bars leak in it when i got it. ive been flushing the coolant for some weeks now and leaks are appearing.
A new water pump is in order. when i do this it will be a good time to replace timing cover bolts and of course a new chain, rebuild teh power steering pump too.

should i advance the cam??
thoughts?
experience?

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #14 by xctasy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:39 am

Ford Played Truckin Henry Ford Tough on the EECIII and EECIV.

Simply because Ford used exceptionally smart sub Aero space and Telco contractors to supply cutting edge stuff. Those guys cut steps out, and its very hard to tell Patriot misle technicians and NASA communication veterans that thaey are maiing life hard for the rest of us.

Step wise continuity was therefore not present in the systems. Despite the MCU -->, EEC1 -->, EECII -->, EECIII -->, EECIV --> EECV monikers, the evolution of the Electronic Control Assembly was just daft, and full of blQQdy stupid anomalies and for guys like us who love a good old Hi Po V8's with a good Twin Point distributor, and Holley or Autolite 4bbl, the movement to other cobinations of odd ball ignition systems with weird Carter, Motorcraft and Holley Weber Feedback and Motorcraft Variable Venturi carbs and Central Injection and then Port EFi.

Well Gad, it killed people.

Looking back with 2020 hindsight, it was all just child's play, but at the time, 1979-1995, it was all so foreign, alien and just plain nasty hard, hot work to dabble with.

I was soooo lucky. 1985, a Ford service technician told me progress coming through it was all good...the days of people messing with a 5.8 liter V8 were well and truly gone, and the future was Fuel Injected Sixes, baby. He said people like me should just embrace it. I did.

For EECIV, There is another way of removing the whole TFi module that holds to the Distributor body. An old Craftsman or Snap-On ¼ inch drive 7/32 deep socket since only they will fit right in the bolt holes. Other brand tools are too thick to fit.

A great book is

How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection
By Ben Watson, about 192 pages, circa 1998.

ISBN10 076030503X
ISBN13 9780760305034

And then

Ford Fuel Injection and Electronic Engine Control, 1988-93
By Charles Probst, about 454 pages, circa 1998

ISBN10 0837603013
ISBN13 9780837603018

No one really reads this sheet.

All problems have solutions. The problem was educating the masses.

Today, FiTech and FAST and Holley have tried to reinvent the past, and make 4 bbl Throttle Body EFi do what the old 1980-1985 CFi and 1986- 1995 Port EFi Fords did so well off the factory floor. Ford wrote the book on it. Others have tried to build a better mouse trap, but when it comes to fault tracing, an EEC IV V8 is really easy and fun if you read the 8 point I listed.

Actually, the Engine Coolant Temp sender the so called Idle Air Control, are two other points which make the idle speed and faults a little bit hard to fathom, and especially the Upstream/Downstream AIR lines on the 5.0 and 5.8 engines between 1978 and 1993. Air pumps, EGR, the whole system takes input from the sensors

(TPS, MAF, ECT, ACT, MAP/BARO, O2 and, RPM) and the uses that information to determine when to turn the TAB & TAD solenoids on and off. No single sensor is used, it is a combination of inputs from all the sensors.

For pre OBDII cars, the fault process is a little ropey, for SN95 Mustangs starting with the EECV 3.8, there are some 25 and 50 thou leak operational performance checks to keep the emissions package in operation to cut all this crap out.

For OBDI cars (the first EECIV's from 1991 modle year, they had activated PID's); on those, you can drill down into sensor values.

The harder ones are the 1985 to 1990 cars, which require a few more smarts to sift through.

All of the 85-90's are the pick of the crop because you can make them stand up an beg just by making sure the basic parts work. And you can Track and Trace stuff in the field without getting attacked by Hounds, Wolfs, Cougars or Bears.

Just the long cable code reader, a multimeter and knowing that your TFi and Hall sensor and fuel pump are good will allow you to have confidence out in the field. There is a lot more HP in the 88 351 verses the older 351M's and even 400's and even the later 370 or 429 big blocks.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #15 by xctasy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:15 pm

One other very good book (which has some errors and is different between the online DIY page and that makes it more accurate), is Largely similar to the DIY Ford sites Small Block Ford info.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE: Please feel free to share this post on Facebook / Twitter / Google+ or any automotive Forums or blogs you read. You can use the social sharing buttons to the left, or copy and paste the website link: https://www.diyford.com/ford-small-bloc ... fications/

https://www.diyford.com/ford-small-bloc ... fications/

It is the Ford Small-Block Engine Parts Interchange
by George Reid
CarTech Inc, 15/10/2015 - Transportation - 144 pages

ISBN 1613252129, 9781613252123

Generalizations as specifics cause problems with Fords, since IMO FoMoCo is more cost focused than perhaps any other auto maker. its not a Hollinger Interchange, but its close enough.

It misses some details...

CFi intakes don't have cast iron adapters for EGR,
and the bat sh!+ weird 351M for the California market do have feedback Variable Venturi carbs and Crank Position sensors and Durasark III igntio systems,
while some 1984 CA 5.0 CFi's have EECIII computers
while the Mustangs are EECIV and TFi. And so on and so forth.

it has a vast array of chapters and parts charts, like this

Shorty

Post #16 by Shorty » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:09 pm

Not trying to hijack a thread but I have a couple v8 questions myself. I recently acquired a marine 302 as a core. It has 351w heads, the firing order is same as the 351w/302 h.o. cam has #C9JE 6250A stamped in the back of it. It has a cast iron 4v intake with a holley carb. I also have a 69 E200 with a 302 in it. Could I run the cam in it (changing the firing order) and would there be any real gain? How about the heads and intake? I understand there are bigger valves but also there will be a drop in compression from a bigger cc combustion chamber. Are there any other parts off this industrial engine worth hanging onto? Did they use forged cranks in these or anything like that? I have done a fair bit of online searching but can't seem to find much hard fact so I thought I might air my Question here.
85 F150 on 78 bronco frame C6 np205 welded dana44 front, trussed posi nine inch rear. EFI exhaust manifolds into one 2 1/2" rolls on 35x12.5x15 Maxxis Trepador.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #17 by bubba22349 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Shorty wrote:Not trying to hijack a thread but I have a couple v8 questions myself. I recently acquired a marine 302 as a core. It has 351w heads, the firing order is same as the 351w/302 h.o. cam has #C9JE 6250A stamped in the back of it. It has a cast iron 4v intake with a holley carb. I also have a 69 E200 with a 302 in it. Could I run the cam in it (changing the firing order) and would there be any real gain? How about the heads and intake? I understand there are bigger valves but also there will be a drop in compression from a bigger cc combustion chamber. Are there any other parts off this industrial engine worth hanging onto? Did they use forged cranks in these or anything like that? I have done a fair bit of online searching but can't seem to find much hard fact so I thought I might air my Question here.

Hi Shorty, Yes you could run the cam in your 302 and yes it determines the engines fireing order. These marine engines were real good performers due to the cam grind, heads, intake, and carb (all the top end parts). Yes on the 351 W heads, I used to run them on a 289's drag race engine in my 1964 Ranchero the ports are larger as well as the intake valves. The only Ford forged cranks used in these engines was in the Boss 302's so possable but not likely check it to be sure. The stock Ford cast 302 crank is quite strong and not a weak link. Check the conecting Rods out they maybe heavy duty like the Hi Po 289 rods standard rods were a weak link for a drag race motor. There are some of those 302 blocks that have a higher nickel content check to see if it's a Mexican made block there are markings these were very sought after by the race engine builders too because of their extra strength. Why not use the complete engine? One other thing to check is that depending on the engines use (do you know what it was used in?) there were both regular rotation and then some that are reverse rotation (when used in the duel engine boats) years ago I bought a 427 Ford that was a reverse rotation the cam only needed to be changed. Hope that is some help, Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Shorty

Post #18 by Shorty » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:31 pm

I can't run the engine as is because it was stored outside and weather got into it. Seems pretty clean on disassembly other than slight surface rust in spots but the # 1 cyl had water in it and it won't roll over by hand. Carb needs re build but its a holley 4v. From what I have researched it would be standard rotation because it was a single engine, the reverse ones were the second engine in a twin drive. A reverse rotation engine would make a good anti theft device and make a challenging vehicle to drive. We had a hired hand on the farm when I was younger who drove an old datsun that only had reverse. He got so good that he passed someone once doing over 25mph down the side road.
85 F150 on 78 bronco frame C6 np205 welded dana44 front, trussed posi nine inch rear. EFI exhaust manifolds into one 2 1/2" rolls on 35x12.5x15 Maxxis Trepador.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #19 by bubba22349 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:13 pm

Dosen't sound like it's so bad. You could put some desiel fuel in the cylinders and let it set awhile might free it up. Good luck :nod: :thumbup: