Industrial "Die"sease:- I hate job specific tools...

Moderator: Mod Squad

xctasy
VIP Member

Industrial "Die"sease:- I hate job specific tools...

Post #1 by xctasy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:47 pm

I hate job specific tools....tirade against the Japanese follows.

I'll try and put my letters around the right way, check my spelling, and wipe the spit and venom off the 'puter screen...

In my work, I do timing belt replacements on Japanese cars. Woo-Hoo.

Why? Well, there aint that many Ford in line sixes around, they run chains that are okay with half an inch of deflection, but any Toyota belt driven OHC car will be like 1 in 4 cars in New Zealand.

So 9 times out of ten you'll be doing a mind numbing dopey named 1.8, 2 liter or 2.2 S-series gasoline or diesel C-series iron block I4 with 1S, 2S, 3S,4S, 5S prefixes, but the capacity can be any darn size, the letter doesn't go up with engine size...a 1S or 4S is a 1.8, a 2S is a 1.8, a 1C is a 1.8, a 2C is a 2.0
Then there's the fun ones, the V6
2.0 L V6 gasoline (1VZ-FE)
2.5 L V6 gasoline (2VZ-FE)
2.0 L V6 gasoline (1VZ-FE)
2.5 L V6 gasoline (4VZ-FE)
3.0 L V6 gasoline iron block (3VZ-FE)
3.0 L V6 gasoline aluminium (1MZ-FE)

All these engines are 9 times out of 10 automatic transmission, with the I4 or V6 nested in a tightly confined ransverse front or AWD drive chassis with no room put a harmonic balancer puller. If its manual, your in luck, you just grab a big 1/2" drive wrench and the right metric bolt attachement, and crank the engine over while it jambs up against the half shaft...presto, off come the balancer for a cam belt change. Neato!

But down here in Moo Zealand, 90% of our Toyota cars are also automatic, and the torque converter won't supply constant drive to the balancer on start up to do that.

Tirade begins..

On my 4 stage automatic 1996 4WD Toyota RAV4, it requires
1. a non standard 10 mm wrench attachment to remove the plastic shroud to even get to the balancer
2. a specific 80 thou thick steel harmonic balancer removal tool about 4 inches at the bottom and 3" wide and around 36 inchers long...
3a. Then the steel harmonic balancer removal tool you need, for a V6, a 65 mm bolt center spacing for two M7 bolts,
or,
3b on the 4 cylinders, either two M8 or M7 bolts, with a 70 mm center spacing.

3c Then, the I4 often uses 19mm or (3/4") socket while the V6 uses 22mm, the crank pully will turn clockwise when the engine runs, if you put a 19mm socket and a 1/2" breaker against something strong, like the control arm, i normally ziptie the breaker tight to the control arm, make sure the socket is all the way in crankshaft bolt. On a manual, you'll be able to take it off but not put it back on easily to the torque required.

It varies depending on what engine you have. Argggghhhhhh!

A specific tool, that is the only tool you can use. Or planned belt replacement not workie.

Generally, before 1988, no problem for Toyota cam belt replacement, standard aftermarket 3-3/4" puller like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q42meP_LOV0

With its assorted bolts in a kit works fine for about 25 USD , but you need a wrench with the right socket. When the Toyota engines went to twin cam and serpentine drive, no dice unless you have the speficic service tool.

There's all types of backyard tools to do it, but you often, in a complete belt breakage situation, you
1.aren't able to move a car under its own power jack the car up highe enough, and
2. some Toyotas/Lexus are easier to get away with a bare minum tools to do it, others are not.
3. Wip chains,
4. blocks of wood, and
5. old hub with a few slots ground off and a couple of bolts added work for some,
6. but not all automatic instillations.

One automatic 1992 Camry I did back in 2013 took me only 3 hours of labour to do a full cam belt and water pump replacement, but the car didn't move because the belt had snapped, and I couldn't measure the bolt ceters on the balancer. As a result, of 1,and 2 abouve, I tried, 2, 3 but couldn't use 5 above, and had to make a 100% copy of the Toyota service tool, but the tool still had to be specifically changed to suit the application, which was different to the one I used for a similar Quad Cam V6. i WAS BUS WORKING 70 hour weeks, and so it took me six weeks to get a tool that specifically did the job. I had to search forums.

These videoes are a real help,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2XuD1edio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDj0howkhDY

but all the forums kind of made light of it,

None explain how frustrating it was do do on a 5SFE..

This post helped a lot

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3 ... 1-a-2.html

but it cannot be made out to be like it was easy to do. The problems I had were

a) to get the tool (which it isn't down here in New Zealand)
and that
b) that anything similar to the tool would not work ( its very specific for some I4's and V6's)
and
c) the dimensions are actually very critical to the nearest 40 thou, get it fractionally wrong on bolt spacing or the 20 mm socket hole size 80 mm from the end, and the tool you've made up just won't work.

As I found out.

I hate primarily front drive vehicles. If I have to have space limiting front drive to get all wheel drive, its better to be on an in line North South engine. I hate East West, West East, Front Drive in general. Period.

I hate belt driven cam Toyotas. They both Suck.
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

wsa111
FSP Moderator

Re: Industrial "Die"sease:- I hate job specific tools...

Post #2 by wsa111 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Dean, FWD cars are a pain in the ass to work on them.
Unless its an easy job i pass the hardcore jobs to an other shop.
FWD is superior in the Snow, but otherwise suck.
67 mustang,C-4, with mod. 80 hd, custom 500 cfm carb with annular boosters, hooker headers, dual exh.-X pipe, flowmaster mufflers, HEI dist. Engine 205" .030" over with offset ground crank & 1.65 roller rockers. 9.5 comp., Isky 262 cam.
2003 Ford Lightning daily driver. Recurving Distributors. billythedistributorman@live.com

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #3 by xctasy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Dean, FWD cars are a pain in the ass to work on them.
Unless its an easy job i pass the hardcore jobs to an other shop.
FWD is superior in the Snow, but otherwise suck.

Ugh-ha. I used to think that too, but here, even in the dry, I tried without success driving up a 12% incline in the dry and wet in my bosses 2003 Camry 2.4. Couldn't go up hills that steep. In ice, it was worse than usless getting up a hardpacked ice track to my old home, 8% gradioent. Same with the 1996 Ford Taurus.

All my Falcons, Toyota SR5 2wd's, Mustang, the 82 rear drive RT131 Corona, the 84 ST165 front drive Corona and E37 88 Mitsubishi Galant, all my front drive Corollas, no problems.

On a wet or dry boat ramp, a front drive Toyota or Ford is also a beached gargoyle. Or like that self amputating Oarfish that washed up on the beach down here yesterday.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/6782 ... in-dunedin

In addition, you THEN have to deal with the Swiss Watch approach, service technicans become jewlers...or keyhole surgeons

This service tool was a real pest to fit. I made the last one too thick, and it wouldn't fit. The 40 thou thick one is just right...

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

STEVEN.
VIP Member

Post #4 by STEVEN. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Interesting,Dean.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #5 by xctasy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 pm

STEVEN. wrote:Interesting,Dean.

Do you think?

Well, between the Rav4 timing belt, oil change, rear drum brake shoes, tensioner, tensioner spring, brake fluid, anti freeze

and the replacement of the CV boots and outer front CV's on the WC34 Stegea (also four wheel drive), the Ford Motor company has no money from me.

I really didn't want to give 1000 NZ dollars to the Japanese unless Dearborn got a cut.

Maybee I should have got an old XJ40 IRS, done an independent suspension conversion to my old 98 Explorer.Saw it the other day, I could buy it back..... Its timing chain took 31 hours to do....

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #6 by Lazy JW » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:22 pm

xctasy wrote:...

But down here in Moo Zealand, 90% of our Toyota cars are also automatic, and the torque converter won't supply constant drive to the balancer on start up to do that...

:? :?: :?

I have deliberately avoided owning and/or working on automatic vehicles as much as possible, but I have successfully loosened balancer bolts by using the starter on at least three vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions; two Isuzu Troopers and a Pontiac GTO. Not sure about the vehicles you are dealing with, but all of the ones I have worked with have the flex plate/ring gear solidly driving the crank. How would the starter be able to drive the crankshaft through the fluid coupling? Or am I missing something here? :?
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #7 by xctasy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:04 pm

Lazy JW wrote:

But down here in Moo Zealand, 90% of our Toyota cars are also automatic, and the torque converter won't supply constant drive to the balancer on start up to do that...

I have deliberately avoided owning and/or working on automatic vehicles as much as possible, but I have successfully loosened balancer bolts by using the starter on at least three vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions; two Isuzu Troopers and a Pontiac GTO. Not sure about the vehicles you are dealing with, but all of the ones I have worked with have the flex plate/ring gear solidly driving the crank. How would the starter be able to drive the crankshaft through the fluid coupling? Or am I missing something here? :?

there are times when I've gotta admit....I haven't thought this one through.

Like the magnets... :wow: :bang: :arg: :roll:

about 2 hours ago I read your post, and then realised.... my thinking is totally.....W-R-O-N-G!

Thanks for setting me straight, but I do feel.....S-T-U-P-I-D :oops:

Behold Deanopolis, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad....

STEVEN.
VIP Member

Post #8 by STEVEN. » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:21 am

You're FIRED :thumbdown: :nono: :lol: :shock: ! ~OO6.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #9 by xctasy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:37 am

STEVEN. wrote:You're FIRED :thumbdown: :nono: :lol: :shock: ! ~OO6.

I'm what?

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #10 by xctasy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:20 am

xctasy wrote:
Lazy JW wrote:

there are times when I've gotta admit....I haven't thought this one through.

Like the magnets... :wow: :bang: :arg: :roll:

about 2 hours ago I read your post, and then realised.... my thinking is totally.....W-R-O-N-G!

Thanks for setting me straight, but I do feel.....S-T-U-P-I-D :oops:

Behold Deanopolis, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad....

Of course, you do have to tighten up the harmonic balancer, and then the tool is mandatory.

Its very hard to lock an automatic flexplate.

Am I unfired now?

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #11 by ludwig » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:32 am

Bill,
FWD is great in snow if you are on flat ground, heading downhill or braking in those conditions. You can blow it out your exhaust on the uphills, both starting, pulling or braking.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #12 by Lazy JW » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:27 pm

Of course, you do have to tighten up the harmonic balancer, and then the tool is mandatory.

Its very hard to lock an automatic flexplate.

Am I unfired now?

Nope. You're still fired, Deano. Old Idaho farm boys never need any special tools to tighten a harmonic balancer :P
"The White OX" 1974 F-350 300-6, Stock single exhaust, Carter YF, T-18A, Dana70 w/4.11, Flatbed dually w/dump bed. "Where no oxen are, the crib is clean, but much increase is by the strength of the ox" (Proverbs 14:4)

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #13 by xctasy » Fri May 01, 2015 2:00 am

Let me guess, you
A. smother the bolt shank in barrel cheese, attach the balancer, and
B. wrap it with your belt, creating specific tool with non specific parts, a trusty strap wrench.

(you have to remove this 'Built to Spill' belt buckle first...

Am I close?

If you hire me back, I got 5 things I need to know, and just one thing you need to know.
1.What’s the salary?
2.What does this company do?
3.Is the boss nice?( the last one sucked)
4.I’m the best candidate, so....
5. I need more holiday time. How much holiday time will I get again?
6. I can’t think of any other questions for you. I will say this though...at a personal level, you constantly try and make me seam like a dumb a$$ so the less I ask, the smarter I feel :nod:

:beer:

Ludwig and Weilheim.

ludwig wrote:Bill,
FWD is great in snow if you are on flat ground, heading downhill or braking in those conditions. You can blow it out your exhaust on the uphills, both starting, pulling or braking.

Ugh-hugh.

And on hot mix asphalt that is on a steep street, like Lancefield Street, gradient over 12%, and unable to take my old bosses car around this corner. Its okay, he was a jerk....his Toyta wouldn't take my sorry but up this street to my home so I could have lunch with the Mrs...I aways remeber that, don't drive a wide body Camry. The narrow body Camry, no problem. The extra 2.5" inches screwed the gradability of that plastic food token car.

Lazy JW
FSP Moderator

Post #14 by Lazy JW » Fri May 01, 2015 8:03 am

:rolflmao:

CobraSix
VIP Member

Post #15 by CobraSix » Thu May 28, 2015 1:17 pm

When I sold my last 98 volvo to my brother in law, I gave him all my volvo specific tools. Like the 36mm sockets, torx head sockets, and specific tools to remove front end parts. Wife always asked why I kept buying 98 volvos. "Because I have all the tools, parts, and manuals for them".

I honestly didn't mind the old volvo FWD set up. It was pretty spacious. My minivan, heck no. Won't touch it beyond changing the oil and filter. I won't even bother doing brakes anymore (but that's also because I'm over my need to fix my daily drivers myself). The only part I hated on that car was removing the check valve for the air pump line to the exhaust. It would rot due to condensation from the turbo heat. one of the bolts was positioned so you could only move like 1/20th of a turn at a time. no room for a ratchet or impact of anykind. no room for a ratcheting wrench. Box end would fit, but since you couldn't get it more than 1/20th of a turn, you had to flip the box end over between each 1/20th of a turn to be able to line it up since you couldn't turn it enough for 1 12point wrench to move enough. took me 30 minutes to remove a 10mm bolt that was only 1/2" long.
Slade
My Website
My How to's

Engine: 200 CI, Oz 250 modified for 4V Holley 390CFM, DS II Ignition, 40kV Flamethrower, MSD Digital 6+
Drivetrain: Cable Clutch, V-8 T5, 8" 5 Lug Rear End, 5-Lug SSBC Front Brakes, 3.40:1 Posi

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #16 by xctasy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:23 pm

I'm a gonner...., the service bug has gotten me again.

as a religious nut who reads too much, It is written....Image

Q. What do a V6 and V8 SHO Taurus, a Volvo XC90 60 Degree V-8, a V6 or V8 Yamaha Outboard, and my wifes 170 HP RAV4 Tpye G have in common?

A. Pain in the A$$ YAMAHA based engineering.

Why can't cars have overhead valves, Holley carbs and rear drive, and non specfic tools.

Why G""d? I'm sure Henry woulddn't have approved....
Last edited by xctasy on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackFish
VIP Member

Post #17 by JackFish » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:46 pm

X?

You disappear for a month and then come back sniffin' around with some obscure references to Yamaha motors and such?? :P

So how you doing?
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
1978 Ford Fairmont station wagon
Yup, I bought another one.
1996 Chevy Caprice 9C1 (3)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #18 by xctasy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 am

I survived underbus travel. (Not by my own efforts)

While others were posing with DMC 10 De Loreans on Back To The Future Day,

I got a job removing fiberous materials (non asbestos board and fire coatings) from Dunedin Public Hospital Children Pavilion.Thought I'd struck Bolvian Mother load when we saw white stuff raining down, but instead of Class A drugs, it was just white asbestos. XCTASY then agony...

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zea ... 16906.html

Oh well, running around with a 10 pound sledge hammer in PPE gear is still fun!

Now I am in the mortal coil/purgatory state called "looking after Mrs Xctasy's Toyota".

Head gasket, tensioner, idler, water pump, belts. Its the six bolts and two nuts that hold the long branch variable runner intake that will do me in.

I can't remove the head without that unhitched. Normal JDM Toyota repair technique...start at the front number plate, remove EVERYTHING untill you get to the part you have to replace, put everything back together. Toyota has a very good complaints system.

Headers,

65 mm throttle body,

twin cams and 11:1 compression ratio.

What a dispicable way to get 170 hp and 155 lb-ft from 2 liters. And then to waste it all draging 3250 pounds of four speed automatic dustbin around with it. Give me a 3.3 and I'll make 248 hp with a carb and a 2650 pound Fox body....... :bang:

Labor Day here. Or in my case, a day where Labor. Still as happy as a pig in a mudpile.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #19 by ludwig » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:31 am

I sold my daughters 1994 Ranger pickup with the I4. I wanted to make sure everything was spiff, b/c a friend from church was buying it for his son.

There are two spark plugs for each cylinder and each pair has a separate coil. I was going to put them in myself until I opened the hood. You have to pull the entire EFI/intake assembly to get at the plugs and coils. Caramba. Well, THAT was why the plugs had not been changed out in 20 years.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #20 by xctasy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:17 pm

"We are not amused"

It used to be a Lucas/British Leyland catchcry. Some Vauxhalls and the odd early md engined Lotus or Aston Martin were a handed crap game, where you'd loose the shirt off your back if you hit the wrong numbers. But I've had nothing more than pure fun working on my A-series Minis, Austin Americas, and Vauxhalls compared to any of this stuff.

Even the Explorer timing chain is okay compared to what has happened to me over this. Even the right hand drive Export one, which wasn't designed as a rhd car. The Fox was just a delight.

What Ford did was work by commitee, where you had to state your case amoung the accountants and engineers. That worked 100% untill about 1988, when you had to add a layer of complication to make performance, 50 K mile emissions and fuel consumption targets.

With the SOHC 4.0 Explorer and V8 style distributor Ranger 2.5, and the outsourced Yamaha based SHO's and newer Duratechs on the same bore spacings, the SOHC spark plugs, the good guys lost out. The rear drive DOHC V8 is the excepetion. Great engine, smart engineering.

With Toyotas, it went from the lovely to service rear drive Hemi headed 2 and 3 T's to the built around the engine traversty I have in the garage.

I can't even get to the bolts unless I get an endoscope...there is a subframe, four wheel drive transfer and actuator in the way, and I'm screwed over unless I get some extra help from ToyoNation.

geezee from TN

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3 ... emove.html

Thanks Earl,
dang man that sounds PAINFUL!! I appreciate the write up.
F*ing toyotas. I am a huge, huge Honda fan (more so every time I touch this Camry) I inherited this from my Dad and every time I work on it it kicks my butt and I swear it'll be the last time I touch it...... I think I'll just unbolt the manifold and leave it attached to all this wiring crap. After reading the procedure IDK if leaving it attached helps me any, and I'm sure its pretty inweildy with the intake mani attached.

On the 170 Horsepower Type G RAV4.1 with 3SGE Yamaha head, you can't leave the intake on....you gotta take it off to get the head off, and the strut braces get in the way from the top. The four wheel drive prevents under car work...

Meh!

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #21 by ludwig » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:52 pm

I had a Toyota wagon for a short while in the late 70s. It had the large I6 engine and all the pollution control stuff made it as complex as Chinese algebra. With 60k miles, the rings were going. I guess they are built for the 50k engine replacement everyone talks about. The choke pull off was in the exhaust path. Consequently, instead of a pull off, it was a choke push on. When the oil built up in the exhaust it would slowly push the choke back on and kill the performance. You had to do a ring job to fix the choke properly.

No one could find the flaw. Fortunately, I wrecked it in a rear-end collision. Every stinking thing in the engine compartment needed special tools or special knowledge. I got a 72 Chevelle wagon instead, with a 305. Almost no problems.

The Toy had a particular feel to the front end handling. If you hit a curve too fast, the tops of the tires would pop outward and you'd find yourself drifting outward instead of turning into the curve. I found this condition reported in a review from Car n' Driver or Motor Trend or something. Thirty years on, I drove a Toyota again and the front end felt exactly the same: sluggish and just this side of iffy. So I didn't push it.

Toyotas. Great until they go bad.

woodbutcher
VIP Member

Post #22 by woodbutcher » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:06 pm

:D Had a 1971 Corolla 1600.Nice little hemi.PB,AC,4 speed.All options known to God and man.Super simple to work on.Even used the FL1A oil filter.NOW,I`m gonna make you cry.Cost?$1932.00 tax,title total and off the lot.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
"People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election".
Otto von Bismarck

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #23 by xctasy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:43 am

woodbutcher wrote::D Had a 1971 Corolla 1600.Nice little hemi.PB,AC,4 speed.All options known to God and man.Super simple to work on.Even used the FL1A oil filter.NOW,I`m gonna make you cry.Cost?$1932.00 tax,title total and off the lot.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

To pass judgement is not good, but...Not my 3SGE....Head gasket replacement?

its looking far worse than the Explorer/Ranger/Mustang S197 4.0 SOHC timing chain, and more like a

NASTY
ILLEGITIMATE
GOYIM
HATING
THERMONUCLEAR
MUNTED
AGONY
RENDERING
EDDIFACE....
!...

Without being able to remove the lower intake manifold.

Its just like the 90'S MR2

http://www.mr2australia.com/mr2play/tm.aspx?m=99101

I'm in sooo much poo...I thought when I found the bolts to divorce the upper and lower intake, I'd unlocked Fort Knox,

ImageImage

I mean, look at this, its just an I4 with a flip top head now, I thought

ImageImageImage

but its worse even than I'd ever considered...its like Prison Break, thinking yea, I'm on the escape line outa here, and digging into the bottom of an active cess pool.

I want to to lift the head to replace the head gasket before it blows up. My wife loves her 1996 RAV4, so whatever Mrs Xecute Xctasy wants, Right?

They tend to blow up after 125 000 miles, you see.

In order to do that, I have to remove

1.the lower intkae which sweeps behind a 10 degree back tilted in line engine block, which also includes
2.wet injection regulated feed line and return line,
3.earths,
4.block to cylinder head stays, and
5.some sensors I can't even see.

But its all good, there isn't EGR like on the US 3S FE and 5S FE...

That's in addition to the 35 things I've removed already.

I WANT MY 1981 I6 3.3 BACK.....THIS IS HE||

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #24 by ludwig » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 am

I suppose it's too late for a laxati-- I mean a complete engine swap. Right?

In other news: wow. Just wow.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #25 by xctasy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Well, there is a 1987-199 whatever 2.5 3.0 Camry/Avalone iron block V6 swap, and you can still reach the headers and EFI lines.

It was planned, but not continued with. The iron block 3.0's are a fine engine, but again, you have to do preventative head gasket replacement on those too. They keep lasting 125 000 and then blowing head gaskets. Its Toyotas fault. They over engineeried that basic block. They fixed that, they made aluminum blocks that screwed out before 125000 miles for 1994.

The problem with Toyota isn't a lack of engineering smarts, Yamaha and TRD and all the Japs work there stuff 11/10ths.

Its just that they are no longer designed for good ole boy US style committe service, since that would mean the'd have to re-engineer the whole platform again. Robert Strange McNamara tried pushing the car building envelope the same way till he left Ford in 1961, wacka mole engineering its not a bad way of doing business, but it screws up maintenace always.

And I should just be thankfull that I'm trying ship in a bottle engineering because the JDM import POS has been so darned reliable.

I had discussions with Mrs XX this morning 5:15am my time. She took it well, but I felt like I was treating my beloved like the line manager who once told Robert S. McNamara he didn't know a g""damn thing about building an automobile.

I was in the same position when I found my Mustang had 108 mm European stud patterns, after buying 16 by 7" 4 on 4.5's mags that now didn't now fit.
And putting my magnets in the wrong way on my proximity reluctor.
And finding out my Fox was a write off.

Build a Bridge, and Get over it Dino.

Dang cars. I guess there's always Xanax.

I can go to the doctor, get a perscription of it, and then give it to my wife....I need to feel the stress so I can learn from this, and feel every agonising bolt as "Mr X Circuit" Disassembles Sheryl's 1996 JDM Toyota RAV4 Gtype ,,, bad Robot ,,, !! NOT disassemble Sheryls Car NOT!!!!... :rolflmao: :bang: :arg:
Last edited by xctasy on Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #26 by xctasy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:17 pm

:hmmm: I'll fix the sob. I'll buy the space I need by taking off the upper manifold. I'll jack the head up 40 thou if I have to, with my finger nails, if needs be, and remove the old gasket and slip the new gasket in it. It'll cry mercy!

If its its the last thing I do...

ImageImage

(Just don't want to remove another 20 layers of equipment to do this. It not laziness. its Getting It Done Eliot Ness).

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #27 by ludwig » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:19 pm

I completely understand. My rational mind says 'get rid of it' but my 'need to make it right' says 'fix it first, then sell it.' So I sell it for less than the repairs cost.

Caramba.

Hmmm. Xanaxctasy?

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #28 by xctasy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:03 pm

The tale of woe continues. Job specific tools again....When some kind of Previous Owner service was done last time, the three 115 mm Torx T5 headed Metric M7 bolts were b@$+@rdized. Elongated as if someone had used a non 5mm hex tool. But most likely, the propper Torx T5 tool, but with no lubricant.

Just three long shank bolts with trim cap screws heads hold the whole upper intake to the lower intake.

Having no T5 Torx attachment myself, I had to do the same. Got my better Quality American made higher chrome 7/32 Allen key and machined it down with my grinder.

Covering all the intake runners with tape, and showring the three bolts in mineral terpintine, WD40, CRC 556, and attaking it with sundry vibrations and incantations according to my faith...I got two off and one locked up. I'm now reattaching all three and trying again to relase the third stubborn bolt.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #29 by ludwig » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:05 pm

Well, now you have something to live for: the completion of the project.

BTW, "better Quality American ..." They must be for export only.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #30 by xctasy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:09 am

ludwig wrote:Well, now you have something to live for: the completion of the project.

BTW, "better Quality American ..." They must be for export only.

LOL. Meister Ludwig, You dis your own industry much.

The only problem I have is with the Chinese sourced tools. And the five breads of ANSI, ISO, DIN, and JIS bolts. SAE and AF, never.

Although it doesn't include Mortorq drive Phillips head screws, but taking the pi$$ outa yourself might be a truly American thing to do....http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thread ... 73ec15f052

Tonite, another liberal bath of CRC and mineral terps. For me, I guess its night 6 of getting this piece of crap outa my garage. As is typical of this full time causal laborer cum Engineer, I'm demolishing Laboratory things by day at my day job at the University, running around with a sledge hammer, Sawzall, and grinder. We have to have a box of attachments to remove handbasins, white boards, electrical boxes. The company I'm subbed out to has it all, they have to.

The change is in optimization. Henry Ford at least thought ahead with his band of merry men...the square drive, Phillps scew, he ticked all the right boxes. So did the Torx tail gate in the F100, the Torx 4.0 Cologne V6 from 1996-2011...it was all good.

The development was in optimizing the production without hurting service.
See https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEngineers/c ... crews_why/

Not so this piece of horse thievery.

Maybee I should just give the FAD4 a roof chop and be done with it...

Wheres STEVEN.

Perhaps I can have the Aliens abduct it...via 30 Seconds to Mars or the Mars Volta.

To paraphrase my dad said when he was given a 0-142 hiding in the World Cup in 2003, "The result is immaterial - I just feel empty,"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... id=3530960

I'm so not impressed with this crap. Sack the lot of them at Toyoda. I'm in the brown sticky stuff with my wife because Toyota and Yamaha figured out a way to improve the air flow and ease of assembly by putting three JIS M8 capscrew bolts on the lower to upper intake margin. No thought of repeat service. None.

Maybee instead of mineral trps, I'll use the old mans tip...soak it in Duty Free Johny Walker....

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #31 by ludwig » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:55 am

That's why I asked in all seriousness about a straight across engine swap.

jamyers
VIP Member

Post #32 by jamyers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Good grief!!! If it's any consolation, you're making me feel better about having to remove the grill, headlights, headlight / radiator support framework, radiator, condenser, alternator, idlers, battery, battery base, washer fluid tank, coolant recovery tank, and air filter assembly to replace the A/C compressor and flush the system on my wife's '04 Buick Rainier 4.2L inline 6.

What we're all dealing with is called "Production Engineering" - which focuses on HOW TO ASSEMBLE CARS at the expense of everything else, especially future maintenance of said car. Back in the late 60's GM cranked up a whole Division of Production Engineers, With results like the V8 Monza where you had to pull the engine to change the #6 and 8 spark plugs, the '67-72 Chevy pickups where you remove the hood, cowl, and right fender to get to the heater motor or core, and the early 90's 3800 V6 where you have to remove an engine mount to replace the serpentine belt - but the shock tower is in the way of the mount bolts in the engine.

Progress? NOT. I swear, I've got a list of stuff, and if I ever get to Detroit I'm going to slap somebody silly for each and every thing on the list. You'll be reading about me in the news.
James - '62 Ranchero (200cid), '71 LeSabre (464cid)

The ONLY safety device we need is a 6" sharpened steel spike bolted to the center of the steering wheel of EVERY vehicle.
Emergency Rooms and Funeral Homes will be busy for a week or so, then I predict a dramatic drop in vehicle accidents.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #33 by ludwig » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Righto. Watch "How they make (ridiculously complex) stuff" and you will see it's all about production. For high end cars, they have these multi position bucks and workstations that marry the modules, engine, body, dash, rear end, etc and you will see that the only way to get at that stuff to repair it is with a full body-off process.

Of course, this is nothing new. I think it was the original mid-50s Chrysler Hemi that had one single bolt down in the deepest recess of the intake well. It required a special tool and top end teardown to remove it. I can't remember if it was the camshaft or the crankshaft. But the engine wouldn't handle the torque without that particular item.

The original Porsche needed a double articulated wrench to get the last two spark plugs out of the engine, and my son's mid-80s Honda had the engine lifted off the motor mounts to replace the back plugs.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #34 by xctasy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Feugo! Disparad en la brecha!

5/16" drill time.

You've Screwed with me for the last time Toyota! You make my wifes sit seven days in the drive and I'll show YOU!

Time to use some proper Kiwi Engineering to fix substandard Tojo Crap.

ImageImage

I'm getting some M8 by 1.25 mm pitch threaded rod, and some Diahedral bolts and I'll iron tie wire them in so DANG hard they'll never come out unless I want them to.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #35 by bubba22349 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:53 pm

:shock: :beer: Now your talking, and will be fixing it the proper way! :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #36 by ludwig » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:58 pm

For you, my brother. Not joy, but tears it will bring.

http://www.theonion.com/article/toyota- ... wp_0=64345

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #37 by xctasy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:07 pm

See below v
Last edited by xctasy on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #38 by xctasy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:57 pm

“We understand that the 1993 Camry was tremendously dependable, but, honestly, there’s just no excuse for driving a 22-year-old car at this point,” said Toyota spokesman Haruki Kinoshita, adding that, with all the advances in automotive technology that have taken place, no one really had any business driving a vehicle for more than two decades. “We’re not saying you have to buy a new 2015 Camry or splurge on a flashy new hybrid, or even that your new car has to be a Toyota at all. But the bottom line is that you need to start fresh, however you choose to do so.” While Toyota is reportedly confining its recall to the 1993 Camry, it also issued a warning to owners of 1994 to 1998 models alerting them to the fact that they were really starting to push it.

And we used to think a Yugo was a dispicapble way to gain foriegn currancy. Just becasue the 1993 Camry was the most reliaqble Toyota ever, how dare he tell the broke and destitute what to buy? Henry Ford just figured out a way to collapse the price of building an automobile.

This notes for you Mr. Haruki Kinoshita....

My son drives an 83 Toyota Corona and has a spare 1988 Corona GTS he's doing up. 32 and 27 years old respectively. Why? Because he's poor and that's all he can afford. And he really enjoyed crashing my 82 Corona. And all of them have been reliable, and he can service it himself. Same when he had the 1993 3.0 V6 Auto, and my old 1988 Corolla, the two other 1988 Coronas. Ash says the 4A and 3S engines are the best, with the V6 engine his pick if they were common enough. My wifes 96 RAV4 LV Type G is the car she absolutely loves. My daughter has an 27 year old 88 Corolla that does 45 US mpg.

So in my wife, son and eldest daugher have been radicalised Toyodanistas.

Low life scum, the lot of 'em, but hey, I'm all for personal choice...They should be driving Fords....if Ford did there job in 1983 to 1988 and gave the Falcon four speed automatics, T5 5 speeds, properly emissions engineered SVO alloyheaded Clevelands with 4180C Holleys, and factory turbo EFI sixes.

The next Falcon sould have been a Wide bodY, long wheelbased Mazda 929 Luce hardtop with USA based engines.

ImageImage

Taken out of its 66.9 inch width restriction and grafting the nominal 2.5" textra width he Camry, Avalone and Aussie market Magna had , the 1982 model year 929 base would have put Ford Australia into a lower cost base which would have pushed Mazda into probable world wide dominion. An IRS rear end, Fox platform width to make it a potential six seater, the Magnum four cylinder engines, the lower cost base with reliable US based 200 and 351C based optional components.

But no, the Max Gransden and Bill Dix, operating the most profitable outpost, cow towed under Team Ford orders, and followed Henry Ford II's last edicts "crash and burn" anti-V8 endict to send the Cleveland tooling to the scrap metal merchant, and then they systematically killed the turbo six, and any chance of grass rootes Ford revival. And Ford Australia never regained its footing. Edsel Ford II had suggested planned use of the alloy head for six cylinderengine in Foxes or even other four cylinder Erica based cars, but that was nixed at the last moment.

I undstand budgets, and looking after a workforce. When the Toyo Kogyo jewel in Fords crown was later screwed over by Greenspans resultant Asian currancy and Korean loan devaluation by the sudden outsourcing edict to China and India, the sudden cost of Japanese Mazda sourced Lasers. Telstars, Econovans, Couriers wnent skyhigh, and they were then US engineered by Siato and co to more tranditional small wheel arch convervative designs. Ford then upped the shares in Toyo Kogyo to resue it, and the cost of making those front drive Probe based 626 and Escort cars was just huge. The economics that Ford Australia aced in class was orn appart by Whats good for America is good for Australia. Its never been good for Australia if the cost base goes up.

So my wife and daugher drove off to Macdonalds today in my 17 year old four wheel drive Nissan Stagea twin cam six, and they'll still be chatting about How Nice It'll Be when the RAV4 is back up and running.

Dag nabbit, they should be driving off in a TSX-4 Ford, and my wife should be saying "I'm so glad Dean bought a Ford Falcon, cause if it was like that Toyota crap the used to sell, We'd be broke and poor".

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=73089

xctasy wrote:
The same comments can be applied to the exceptionally smart TSX-4 Ghia Vignale Wagon.

[/quote]

How do I even call my self a Ford man now? :bang: :arg:

Now back to the Toyota Tirade...

I call this experience a little mixture of misnamed "Short Shank" Redemption and the The Green Mile, with a little Moonpie for Mr. Haruki Kinoshita thrown in for good measure!

From Blacks Fasteners today, I got some slightly shorter 90 to 110 mm M8 1.25 cap screws.

Stock are 95mm to 114mm depth threaded M8 1.25 cap screws.

And the right Allen key to torque it up.

No one had Diehedral bolts in M8 size at the drop of a hat, and in any case, the intake manifold base would then require extra dremel and die grinder work.
Last edited by xctasy on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #39 by ludwig » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:01 pm

That article is from a satiric newspaper, but it has far too many elements of truth to it.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #40 by xctasy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Yeah, I know, but it took me five weeks to figure out this

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside ... ot-a-femi/

was an April Fool...

Now my PanDemonic washing machine seal has come unstuck...it has a sring loaded lasso to hold the seal captive.

I think I'm gonna have to ask MRS X to hold the long nose pliers to wang it back on. I feel a job specific tool tirade comming on again....

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #41 by xctasy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Well that worked out alright.

Mrs X poped the washing machine seal right back on on while I held the spring appart with two pliers.

As she said, there's no i in team.

Unless your and ITEM.

Like Mrs X and i R

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #42 by xctasy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:58 am

Oh yeah, and thats right, the head bolts. If I thought the three M8 bolts that only work with a 6 mm accross the flats hexangonal drive was a pita, well, letmetellya....

ImageImage

If its pre 2006 OHC S or E series Toyopet, it is techncially a kind of 8mm twelve point spline drive wrench attachment, but other terms are used, like a NAPA's serrated socket or 8mm 12 point bi-hexagon socket. Noughty Six and on, its 10mm its likely a 12 point bi-hexagon socket

There are numerous sources, and they are not all exactly the same, and sludge buildup can cause bolt stripping.

Its not six point, like a Torx 50, but Torx 50 can work
Its not 10 mm Hex, but 10 mm Hex can work if you clear the sludge and hammer it down without angled turning.
Its not 9 mm Hex, but sometimes a 9 mm Hex can work if you are in the right favourable temprature or material type.

Why? Because Toyota, in all there wisdom, made it so

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #43 by xctasy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Okay. Between my broken light bulb (hit with a falling 12 mm socket) and a dropped 1/8" teflon bush (which ended up in the engine, requiring further disasembly to find it, all because I stole my daughters bed side lamp, had to take it appart to illuminate the way through this Angel of Darkness, Son of Alec Issigonis engineering...). I've gotten some progress.

I am now working through needing to do my day job (50 hrs a week) and night shift job (25.5 hrs) and finding out how the heck to fix tasking things when the things aren't done just so.

There is just no room. I've worked on 850/1000/1100 and 1275 Minis and Austin Americas, and there is far more room and better thought out engineering in those service wise, than this.

The Greek-Turkish dude who summunsed the space invading advantages of front drive in 1959...he makes Zorba the Greek look like a competent rocket scientist compared to this.... Godzilla monster. I just don't have the Shogun attitude because my time pressures and budget don't go to the extent of the four service tools and a palatial reserve of space.

I'm going back in, men. Wish me fortune.

O whatta Feeling, Toy Mota!

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #44 by xctasy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:49 pm

Here is the tale of pain and heart ache.

It seams no one in the world has done a head gasket replacement on the G-spec 170 horspower 1996 Toyota RAV4.1. Everyone else just has the normal 3SFE in this car.

I know why now...its the worst engine to do, ever. Its just a veritable ship in the bottle to work on.

ImageImage

The ACIS system is the Acoustic Control Induction System, and it has an accumlator or vac tank reserviour behind the intake, mounted on the block. The whole engine is tilted forward to make you at least think its possible to do a head gasket replacement without removing the lower intake manifold from the head.Well, you can do it without removing it, but is very difficult.

To even get a looksie behind the lower intake manifold and between the fire wall, its best to use an endoscope.

Instead, I used about four different videos and about 120 still photos to crack this nut.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #45 by xctasy » Sun May 15, 2016 4:51 am

When I searched for acrynoms like
ACIS,
VSV,

and words like
Air Control Valve,
Actuator
Engine Control Unit
Throttle Position Sensor

and (off course!)
Vacuum Tank,

all I then saw was computer generated avatars of the Devi| (Jesse Hughes)

and Scarlett Madison

each giving noble lectures to my gormless ears.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4coQhDpBaeI

I then knew I was totally munted....I thought I might as well pop on Alexander Gordon's patent circa 1894 Atmospheric diving suit and deep six myself...

So to avert that all I had ta do was make sure each is identified from item 6 from this list

1 th.5E-FHE
2 th.1G-FE (VVT-i)
3 th.1GZ-FE
4 th.2JZ-GE
5 th.7M-GE
6th. 3S-GE <---
7 th.1S-iLu
8 th.1MZ-FE
9 th. 3UR-FE
10 th. 1UZ-FE (VVT-i)
11 th. 3VZ-FE

Its Stay, 17125, (Vacuum) Tank No1 that was the main issue....

Last edited by xctasy on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #46 by xctasy » Sun May 15, 2016 6:20 am

I decided I was better off learning Russian, so hooked on to these links, and whammo, found photos of a RAV4 with the same engine...

http://forums.drom.ru/gt-forum/t1152156078.html

http://ulan-ude.drom.ru/toyota/rav4/12542825.html

Delving deeper, I got the views I needed without too much trouble.

The rest I got with my camera and an old 1980 Falcon Sundowner rear view mirror....

The blue VSV with its sintered air inlet filter, vacuum lines, and wire inlet plug is sitting hidden under the Vacuum Tank like a submarine.

The VSV is used for other purposes like EGR or IAC (Idle Air Control), but is numerically and color coded as a dedicated unit.

What's pretty anoying about this 170 bhp net engine is it has a Normally Closed twin vac line ACIS system , not the common first generation T-VIS, so its got some weird stuff going on with the switching of the blue VSV valve. There are green, blue, brown and black ones. As an ACIS VSV, it pulls 38.5 – 44.5 Ω with this VSV valve cold. Used as an EGR actuator, the same. As an Evaporative emissions actuator, its calibrated down to 27 – 32 Ω of resistance stone cold. JDM 3SGE's don't have EGR...

The "ACIS" (Acoustically Controlled Intake System) porting plenumb is like the inline six and V6 system, with a single entry throttle body. On the G type we have, there is the wacky three piece intake manifold, which starts over the rocker cover for the first piece, (the intake runners) then the plenum which is opened and closed with butterfly valves, and then more runners leading to another plenum. The intermediate plenum is opened at a certain rev point, around 3800 rpm on my wifes 3SGE RAV4. This increased intake volume gives better resonance tuning for the upper rev range power. There is a TPS overide which operates by voltage, with the kick in at 60 degrees of a 78 degree sweep. Its basically the same as the 3SGTE, but has no knock sensor over ride.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #47 by xctasy » Sat May 28, 2016 10:34 pm

Append to this list...

xctasy wrote:Tirade begins..

On my 4 stage automatic 1996 4WD Toyota RAV4, it requires
1. a non standard 10 mm wrench attachment to remove the plastic shroud to even get to the balancer
2. a specific 80 thou thick steel harmonic balancer removal tool about 4 inches at the bottom and 3" wide and around 36 inchers long...
3a. Then the steel harmonic balancer removal tool you need, for a V6, a 65 mm bolt center spacing for two M7 bolts,
or,
3b on the 4 cylinders, either two M8 or M7 bolts, with a 70 mm center spacing.

3c Then, the I4 often uses 19mm or (3/4") socket while the V6 uses 22mm, the crank pully will turn clockwise when the engine runs, if you put a 19mm socket and a 1/2" breaker against something strong, like the control arm, i normally ziptie the breaker tight to the control arm, make sure the socket is all the way in crankshaft bolt. On a manual, you'll be able to take it off but not put it back on easily to the torque required.

It varies depending on what engine you have. Argggghhhhhh!

A specific tool, that is the only tool you can use. Or planned belt replacement not workie.

...Tool number four

I have decided I am Tool Number Five...Deano the Beano.... :fume: :boom:

Its been eight long months, but my wifes RAV4 head gasket replacement is almost done.

I've gotta say, its a totally awfull thing to swing a wrench on. Injectors, injector wiring loom, high pressure rail with two crushable copper spacer unions on both ends, impossiable to see VSV and accumulator. Bolts and tools all over the show, and I'm on service Tool Number Four...removal of the belt tensioner pin now the new timing belt is in.

Go ahead, pull zee pin...

Pull the allen key, and out pops the tension plunger....what a set up.

Its like a T13 Beano grenade,

only the 5 second fuse is....ME!

Thankfully, I found two additional websites to help me

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=132
http://lovehorsepower.com/joomla/index. ... &Itemid=26

Just Give me a Ford any day!

Hope my wife likes it, everything is a struggle.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #48 by bubba22349 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:55 am

:shock: way too many tools and the time wow, hope everthing works good. :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #49 by xctasy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:05 am

bubba22349 wrote::shock: way too many tools and the time wow, hope everthing works good. :nod:

Any more than one special service tool is probably one too many for a traditionalist like me.

Ya know, its the 57 series Bosch alternator that has caused the biggest problem. That required a specail alterantion in duct tape to a thin wall monkey wrench. So maybee I'm Tool Six!

The wiring loom which holds the injectors down runs to it in tight catenery; there is no free length to free the fuel distribution rail and injectors to remove the head unless you get "brave" and cut the engine loom, and rejoin it with a 40 pin universal conector. In order to remove the argent plastic covered wiring loom, you have to undo and redo the 12 mm socket bolt five tims in order to clear the 6 rib serpentine belt's tensioner. I can see how Yamaha and Toyota did the production line engineering...its a dead easy build up to lower the body over the awd transaxle, and no one would even need to touch the engine for 120 000 miles. We didn't! But pooor pooor pitafull me, pooor pooor pitafull me. I'm the dumb tool who loves his wife enough to Have a Go at it.

The wide body fared SXA10 with the G spec 170 HP variant of the JDM 3SGE engine is totally different to the orthodox XA10 US RAV4.1 3GFE engine, even other US 3SGE's in high end MR2's and Celicas. As I've said, in our 1996 Five door, it carries 4000 pounds two up with gas, so its needs the extra 50 horsepower over the US 120 hp 5 speed three door that did 17.5 second quarters and 10 second flat 0-60's. Ours has the 4 stage auto, and its does an 18.3 second quarter, 11.8 second 0-60, and, apparently, a 190 km/h top speed.

Its got EGR casting bolts, but no EGR, so that's easier. Again, there is just no room anywhere else in the front face, the rear fire wall, or the US passenger side of this car. And I can't link arms around the RAV4.1's front end from the hood opening to under the front apron to wiggle the alternator. I have to tape up and untape the 12 mm M8 12 point on a thin monkey wrench hydraulic jack lever to get wiggle room to swing the alternator tensioner bolt. Once that's done, then the water pump, the head gasket, then the lengthy rebolt process.

Mad EN Eng Japaneso

Power steering, ABS, I v'e refused to remove to get to the other parts.

So there we go....I have to keep my work ethic gracefull without throwing spanners and waking up the cats at 12 midnight to about 4 am, the only times I can work on it. Its been between a long search for permanant work, which I've now got. But its truck driving and merchendising and load calling, where there are 4500 lines of product to call, and 100 products to merchendise with very tight cut offs for Fast Moving Consumer Goods. When I did the Mustang, I could do any job in a day, and the only part I needed was an EGR line removal spanner.

When I didn't have one, it was okay. I used an AXE.

Haven't used one yet, but I'm thinking 'bout it.