$ave me from the charge o' tha Toyoda Light Brigade

Moderator: Mod Squad

xctasy
VIP Member

$ave me from the charge o' tha Toyoda Light Brigade

Post #1 by xctasy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:53 am

Toyoda Invasion rant again, but this time, I need YOUR HELP!

Two things. Ist is

Its happened again. Another Toyota for Ashley-SAN

Akio Toyoda and his family have continued to win over all members of my family....

My Wife was first (WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER FORD)
My eldest Daughter (I drive her 1990 Toyota Corolla 1.3 XL Multivalve AE92
My Son (Has never had anything else but a Toyota, except for one 1993 Mitsubishi Galant..eight cars since 2007, this is his 7th)

His 1993 Toyota Corona Twin Cam sedan got tail rammed by a 2011 Holden Commodore, and witten off. The car got picked up yeasterday, but my son has already bought a 1995 Hardtop four door Trueno Marino (He calls it the Deano Merino, just to pi55 me off...My name is Dean, and a merino is a sheep..).

except me and my youngest 17 yo daughter, we've all been Sho+gunned!

Forced to grovel in a mild form of recievership doing preventative maintenance on my Wifes RAV4 ( I researched it, made some tools, experiemented on my friends Toyotas, and then I offered to do the head gasket, buddy. Its just that no one told me the 4wd RAV4 with rare 170 hp engine is murder to work on, unlike any other Toyota, even a turbo Celica GT4 is easier. After fashioning some and buying others, six service tools later, I'm almost there), I'm used to the worst a car can do.

So 2ND, And The Reason For This Post:-

Power supply issues. Its not under Electricity, though. Its a non Ford, so I stuck it here so yall could laugh a little. Or cry. Or, maybee, get a little Angra Mainyu, um, angry....

$ave me from the charge of the :idea: brigade!

The back ground is. My lack of a proper car at the moment means I use my daughters 90 Toyota Corolla 1.3 XL Multivalve AE92.

Its really special car:

Wouldn't pull a sailor off your sister,
does 60 to the US gallon at 55,
and has the typical Toyota Angel of Death Electrics.

Its like the Lucas Angle of Darkness, only Japanese.

Like my old 1982 Toyota Corona before my son bent it

ImageImage

and the 1993 he's just had written off.

This little number has an approx 0.013 amp constant load draw which flattens the battery, and prevents a brand new, reconditioned, or existing alternator charging the battery. (13, because its a BAAD NUMBER)

You have to pull the earth terminal wire when its stopped, or the battery will go dead in a week. Off course everyone wants to steal a Toyota, don't they?

You then find that it will top up the battery in certain cases, but its not enough to stop the inevitiable. Insuffucent Input. Both my son and I have been stranded by these kinds of charging systems four times in total with these three cars.

It starts like this. With a nice, new, rectangular battery with, oh, say, a 13.89 volter, it then drops to 12, 11, 10, 9, then , when it gets dark, the lights go on, like you do, and whammo, the ignition cuts out if you've got the lights on. 9 volts becomes 4.89 volts. Turning the lights off restors the ignition, but its Bad and Wrong to drive around in the dark without lights, just so that your car won't stall.

Last night, I had to check on a seal join at a bridge as part of my State Highway Audits. I naturally left the Nissan Stagea awd station wagon, and decided to go check with the Toyota. Of course, I carried my 13.89 volt Marine Battery in the passanger seat, strapped in with a board to stop it shifting. And some jumper leads. And my multi meter/Class 4. Back lit, so you can, like, see it in the dark...

Little did I know what was going to happen...

The Same Toyodic Visitation of the Persian Ahur Mazda.

I would have been more happy if it was like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when Clark Griswold is trapped in the attic and must amuse himself by watching the films on a projector. He found, you know, a Mazda light bulb.

You know, the old GE light bulb maker from Mineappolis, branded Mazda. Before Hank the Deuce bought it out..and used it on Toyo Kogyo cars.

Lamps are like people...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDH-cuH3nE

Last night, at 11 pm the lights went out, and I was an hour from home, and suddenly, I realised I might be a little bit on the dim side when I got boxed in by two trucks, and the lights started to dim, the engine misfired, the hubcap came off the car, and I had no where to turn off. Dang..

Eventully, getting to the shoulder, I killed the lights (with the Looser in the Cruise control) and out came the multi meter while the car was still idling. 4.89 volts wit the lights off. Not good. Adding the jumper leads, strung through the hood, in the pasenger window, and on to the Marine battery, I hooked it up and got 12.68 volts with the lights on. YE--YYAAA!

I sang my old 1970's New Zealand song from the TV add on the way home...
MAZDA LIGHT BULBS
Down in the factory where the lights come from
The Mazda man puts his thinking cap on.
And he made a light.
A wonder light.
And he called it Mazda Wonder Light.
Then he took the boxes to the shops.
With different colours on the tops.
Now you can tell what Watt you've got.
Now you can tell what Watt you've got.
That's bright.. That's light..
That's Mazda Wonder Light.

There's no bulb that's brighter - than a Mazda Wonder Light.

The very same time as I then b-lined it home at 62 mph for the next hour, getting home at midnight. Thank the Fastival of Lights for that.

I recharged both batteries today. Since my son has had so many Toyotas, we've gotten a lot of parts. I've swapped in three different, new alternators and rectifiers over the last 2 years, since we got the car in 2014. They work fine. Its the power supply from the battery to the car thats pulling the load, and I'm not sure where. Its not the interior light. Cigarette lighter, a typical Toyota light fuse number, doesn't work.

So now, I've got a question. Where is the 0.13 amp current draw coming from (or going to0 , and what do I do to ensure IT WONT HAPPEN AGAIN.

My son, before his car got sidelined, asked me to do a Parasitic Draw Test. He sent me this link, and said we should both attack our Toyotas with a multi meter at the same time.

I've consulted the ETCG video "How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Its NOT the interior light.

I've only got 16 fuses to pull. I'm taking bets on which one the loss is at...
XEC Ltd ICBE's Inter Continental Ballistic Engines-
FAZER 6Bi (M112 & EEC5) or FAZER 6Ti (GT3582 & EEC5) 425 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
FAZER 6V0 3x2-BBL Holley 188 HP 3.3L/200 I-6 or 235 HP 4.1L/250 I-6
X-Flow Engine Components Ltd http://www.xecltd.info/?rd=10

xctasy
VIP Member

Re: $ave me from the charge o' tha Toyoda Light Brigade

Post #2 by xctasy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:27 am

I know itz old and phoney, but Candy Crush Level 21: Cheats

Im taking a votes for which one of the 14 interior fuses and 7 engine compartment fuses is the problem.

21 fuses to cheat me out of going to the next level!

Watch out...I CHARGE BY THE HOUR.

(I'm at 13.47 volts now!)

Maybee 23 if you include the battery terminal circuit fuses.

22 = AM2 30A
23 = AM1 60A

1 = CHARGE 7.5A
2 = FAN I/UP 7.5A
3 = DOME 10A.... NOT THIS, it works fine, and no load when doors are shut.
4 = HAZARD-HORN 15A
5 = FAN 30A
6 = HEADLIGHT (LH) 10A
7 = HEADLIGHT (RH) 10A

I havent included the relays

8 = STOP 15A 11 = RNGINE 7.5A 14 = IGN 10A 17 = GAGE 7.5A 20 = SEAT HTR 20A
9 = RADIO 7.5A 12 = WIPER 20A 15 = TAIL 15A 18 = TURN 10A 21 = ECU-1G 15A
10 = ECU B 10 A 13 = CIG 15A 16 = FOG 15A 19 = SUN ROOF 20 A

65fback

Post #3 by 65fback » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:32 pm

It goes both ways. my wife was anti ford when I met her. She has relented.

The toyota she had was decent, but that was a 90s tercel.

All the new cars are a pain in the ass to fix.
'65 Mustang Fastback

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #4 by xctasy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:06 pm

65fback wrote:t goes both ways. my wife was anti ford when I met her. She has relented.

The toyota she had was decent, but that was a 90s tercel.

All the new cars are a pain in the ass to fix.

Aint that the truth... although I've had a key stuck in my Mustang and marooned on the drive, and self inflicted the overspending of two 12 V 55 A-H batteries on three nights from 2011 to 2015, I've never had parasitic fusing issues like the Toyotas have. Oh yeah, I blew a 32 year old radiator hose three times, and three alloy top water necks and killed a radiator. But every time, dead easy to get going again. I love Fords simple, easy wiring. Toyotas, always the same 23 step road to Nirvana...after you;ve checked all that, its likely to be something else...

Oh yeah it was the three pin alternator plug, and Fuse 23 were the problem, although AM1 60 amp was my fault...I fused it when I jumpered my battery at night to reliven the Toyota on the way to my second job.

Here's what I did to fix it.

I removed the three pin per OBDII plug from the alternator, and dipped and shaked and stirred and agitated it in a CRC lid full of mineral terps to clear the white lithium disulphide someone had put on the pins. Then CRC 556'd the living crud out of it. No improvement straight away, Car still wouldn't start unless it was push started....and then... I SAW IT!

AM1 60 Amp fuse, blown!

I grabbed my spare 1992 Corolla 1.8 Diesel AM1 80 Amp fuse, and slotted it in. Blew it right away. So I unhooked my auxilary battery, and placed the positive terminal on last. 14.47 volts charging....Systems go!

A big Bailterspace Wammo! to ya, Mr Toyoda!

At Five We Drive....

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #5 by ludwig » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:58 pm

I had a Toyota Mark IV wagon in the late mid-1970s. Inline six with 5 speed gearbox and lots of pep. And a deep thirst. Bought used it had bad rings and the choke was connected to the breather tube. Oil pushed through the rings pushed the choke closed. Once I got I fixed, I discovered that the suspension had a brittle kind of drifty-ness.

I looked up the new model review for the car when it was new and they showed how, when the turn got tight enough, the tops of the wheels would now push toward the outside of the turn and pull it sideways -- which my car did. Fortunately, I wrecked it in a chain collision and bought a used 72 Chevelle wagon.

Years later, like 30 or more, I drove a Toyota rental car and found the exact same kind of road feel that I had experienced in my own Toyota. Either they managed to fix the camber shift and keep the brittle floatyness, or they didn't do anything to their suspensions. I'm safe from the Toyota invasion. Not to say I wouldn't take one if given, but I wouldn't choose one over others.

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #6 by xctasy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:55 pm

100% Ford man.

Toyota only ever fixed the understeer issue and under dampening and bump steer with the Cressida1988–1992 (X80), your Mark II.

The Aussie Cressida was exceptional, but Kiwi Le Mans gt40 co- winner Chris Amon did the spring damper rate selection work in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL5EeI6hk_Q
Ford's staged finish of the 24 hours of Le Mans in 1966 was one of the all time oddball races... The black #2 GT driven by Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon won...

For other markets, standard Middle America Calty settings. This is not Anti Calty, just the differening priorities of markets. Toyotas variablity is renown, it took ages for Toyota NZ to fix it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnoSBL-4Kbc

Without the right spec springs and dampers, the LHD models are pretty awful.

Bump steer in the 1981 Toyota Corona TT 132 almost killed my son.

Toyotas normally are dogs returning to there own vommit handling wise, the Kiwi and Aussie spec RHD AE92's and X80's are the exceptions. Bump steer is a problem with the varable asistant rack and pinion steering and steering dampener they used in the US spec cars...bushes were overly compliant.

The AE92 has the Chris Amon suspension.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #7 by xctasy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:04 am

My son laughes about it now, he saw the keys to the T132 Toyota on the table one night when I was out in the Mercedes

As the Chop Seuy lrics go...

"Hide the scars to fade away the shakeup
You wanted to
Why'd you leave the keys upon the table?
You wanted to"

Why'd ya leave the keys on the table, Old Man?

He took it, drove it, and smashed it...

At least he saved the lights for me...Why? Because HE wanted to.

I've used them in the Mustang. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70897&p=583039#p583039

Now I'm using them for fleckie diffuser backlighting when doing night drives in my Nissan Stagea. Cna't take photos at night with an external light source on a roadway, inless its inboard the car.

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #8 by ludwig » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:57 am

Like the Dutch proverb says, 'you have to row with the oars you have.' Good for you. Making every part count.

xctasy
VIP Member

Post #9 by xctasy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:14 am

ludwig wrote:Like the Dutch proverb says, 'you have to row with the oars you have.' Good for you. Making every part count.

Yeah, I tried it out, but the water was all gone by then...

See "Lake Renfrew" video...http://vid1215.photobucket.com/albums/c ... I_8619.mp4

Glad I keep my trailer chained to the power pole...

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #10 by ludwig » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:18 am

LOL!!