Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Ford 302 V8, water in the oil!

Moderator: Mod Squad

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Ford 302 V8, water in the oil!

Post #1 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:51 pm

tvtech02 wrote:Bubba, on my ford 302 engine, the oil is milky. I thought it might be a bad PCV valve so I changed it and also did an oil change. After the oil change,I went ahead and ran the wagon for about 20 minutes and than shut the engine off. I checked the oil and it was really milky again. so it seems like I have a blown head gasket. I checked the compression on all cylinders and most of them have 150 pounds,1 has 145 lbs.Can I still have good compression even if I have a bad head gasket? Also,when I first start the engine up,its ok until it warms up some and with the radiator cap off,the coolant starts to spillout of the radiator.Thats why I thing I have a bad gasket.
What about a bad intake manifold gasket? Can it cause water to pass to the oil? I just want to be sure that it is a bad gasket and not just moisture in the engine.Can you please tell me which is the best way to approach this problem.I don't want to tear this engine apart if I don't have to.This engine was overhauled back in the 80's but I only have about 3,000 miles in it. I think my problem is that I put it in storage too long. What can I do to make sure that it is a bad head gasket. Thanks for all your help.
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Ford 302 V8, water in the oil!

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:06 pm

tvtech02 wrote:Bubba, on my ford 302 engine, the oil is milky. I thought it might be a bad PCV valve so I changed it and also did an oil change. After the oil change,I went ahead and ran the wagon for about 20 minutes and than shut the engine off. I checked the oil and it was really milky again. so it seems like I have a blown head gasket. I checked the compression on all cylinders and most of them have 150 pounds,1 has 145 lbs.Can I still have good compression even if I have a bad head gasket? Also,when I first start the engine up,its ok until it warms up some and with the radiator cap off,the coolant starts to spillout of the radiator.Thats why I thing I have a bad gasket.
What about a bad intake manifold gasket? Can it cause water to pass to the oil? I just want to be sure that it is a bad gasket and not just moisture in the engine.Can you please tell me which is the best way to approach this problem.I don't want to tear this engine apart if I don't have to.This engine was overhauled back in the 80's but I only have about 3,000 miles in it. I think my problem is that I put it in storage too long. What can I do to make sure that it is a bad head gasket. Thanks for all your help.

Probally not on having good compression in all cylinders with a bad head gasket. On an engine with such a low amount of use since a full rebuild this might be a case of a crack in a head, a radiator tester can help determine this. Yes checking the intake gaskets for damage is also a good place to start as if it was improperly installed or slip during the install I have seen a couple cases. The intake gaskets are kind of hard to get wrong though. One thing I have used very successfully in these cases is some K & W block sealer. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

tvtech02

Post #3 by tvtech02 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:15 pm

Thanks for your reply bubba. I forgot to tell you that all this started when I was driving around town cruising and than just as I was pulling into my driveway,I heard a loud noise and it was the bottom radiator hose that had comes off the water pump.
So all the water leaked out of the engine.I don't know why the hose came off cause I did have the clamp on it.
At the time that this happened,I only had a Lamp indicator for the temp.reading.Maybe the engine was running hot and I did not noticed it cause the temp.light never came on.So I'm thinking that If I overheated the engine,I might of blown a head gasket.
I have a leak detection tester that I tried on the radiator but I cannot use it because the water starts to come up toward the tester and thus if it gets to the chemical fluid in the tester,it will give me a false reading.What do you think I should do.
I have replaced the oil twice already and everytime I do that,the oil turns milky.
Whats my next step with this problem? I hate to take apart until I'm sure that its a bad head or head gasket.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Yes in that case if it's been overheated I would for sure pull the top end apart. Check the heads throughly early years of 302's usually don't crack to easily (1968 to later 1970's but some of later model 302 / 5.0's can. If they check out good condistion have them surfaced, plus a valve job, and install with the new set of head gaskets. Check the block deck surface is straight too. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

tvtech02

Post #5 by tvtech02 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Ok, I will go ahead and pull the intake and heads out and replace the head gaskets.I am going to take the heads to a machine shop to have them checked including the valves and valve guides. Thank you very much bubba.I really appreciate your help.

tvtech02

Post #6 by tvtech02 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:57 am

Ok so I went ahead and removed the heads yesterday and checked the gaskets for tears or bad spots in them but did not see anything bad in them.I also checked the intake gaskets and they too look ok.However,there is something there causing water to leak into the oil.
What I did find was a bad groove on cylinder # 3.Its kind of deep so looks like I will have to rebore the cylinder walls and get new pistons and rings. I am going to check and see whats the best option,rebuild this 302 or try to find a rebuilt one.
I am going to try and attach the picture of the cylinder that has the bad groove and see what you think.I hope I can do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:32 pm

:bang: Wow yes that's a fairly a deep grove, it's also pretty strange for a rebuilt low mile engine! What is that block bored out to now? You could have a sleeve put in that cylinder then you could reuse all your pistons. Did you see any rust lines in any of the cylinder bores? If you did see that it could be an indicator of a crack especially if the line was a little jagged. Did you see any rust lines in the heads gasket surface or combustion chambers? Again this could indicate a crack. Good luck in the hunt :thumbup: :nod:

tvtech02

Post #8 by tvtech02 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 pm

If I am not mistaken,I think right now its bored out at 30. No,I did not see any rust in the cylinder bores or anywhere. Are you thinking that there may be a crack in the block or the head? I checked the heads and there is no visible cracks that I can see.Of course,we won't know till they check the block and magnaflux the heads.If there is a crack somewhere,than that would be the end of story for this motor. I will keep you posted on what I decided with this engine. Thanks bubba.

tvtech02

Post #9 by tvtech02 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 pm

I have a question? I talked to the guy in the machine shop and he said that as long as there are no cracks in the block or the heads,he can bore out the cylinders to what ever is needed,resurface the heads and replace valve seals,install cam bearings for me at a price of $475.00.Is this is a good price? just trying to find out before I take the block and heads over to him. Thanks for your help.
PS- He said valves are extra if needed,which I understand.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #10 by bubba22349 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:09 pm

tvtech02 wrote:I have a question? I talked to the guy in the machine shop and he said that as long as there are no cracks in the block or the heads,he can bore out the cylinders to what ever is needed,resurface the heads and replace valve seals,install cam bearings for me at a price of $475.00.Is this is a good price? just trying to find out before I take the block and heads over to him. Thanks for your help.
PS- He said valves are extra if needed,which I understand.

Sounds like a decent price. If the block would clean up at .040 that would be great this is usally were I stop. What about checking for cracks though? There has to be a reason that the water or coolant is getting into the oil. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

tvtech02

Post #11 by tvtech02 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:22 pm

Yes,he said he is going to check the block and heads for cracks. If they are both ok,then we will go ahead and do the bore and heads and valves. I will let you know how the block and heads came out after the inspection.
Thanks Bubba.

tvtech02

Post #12 by tvtech02 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:58 pm

I Wanted to check and see if anybody here has ever bought any parts from a company in Tyler,Texas named mabbco.I am looking for a place to buy a engine master rebuild kit for my 302 engine and they have good prices on the parts,they even sell rebuilt engines. However,the warranty on engines is only 90 days.That does not sound very good for a company that says their engines are rebuild with high quality parts. If any of you can comment on this or knows about this company,please let me know. Thank you very much for a reply.
PS- If you know of a good place to buy this master kit,can you let me know. Thanks.

tvtech02

Post #13 by tvtech02 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Hello to all here at this forum. Well, I finally found another 302 block that I could use for my 55 ford wagon. While the machine shop is doing its work on the block, I am going to try and locate the crankshaft pulley and the water pump pulley because I am going to get my car ready for the summer,installing a Vintage type air conditioner. I currently only one V-belt on the engine. My question is this? Do I need a 2 groove crank and water pump pulleys if I intend to have AC on this car? If any of you have a V-belt routing diagram for a 302 engine that has AC, and power steering,I would appreciate it very much if you can send it to me or post it here so I can see what kind of pulleys I will need.I might eventually put in a power steering on this car so I want to get it ready by having the correct type crank and water pump pulleys. Thanks in advance to all for your help.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #14 by bubba22349 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Yes you will need the two sheve pulley on the water pump for the AC system, if you think you will be adding power steering then you will need a three sheve crank pulley. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

tvtech02

Post #15 by tvtech02 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Thanks Bubba for your help. Yes,eventually I will be installing a power steering in it too. So, If I have both AC and power steering,I will need a 2 sheave water pump pulley and a 3 sheave crank pulley. I hope I understand you correct but if not,please correct me cause I want to make sure I order the right parts.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #16 by bubba22349 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:43 pm

Yes that's correct tvtech02, good luck :thumbup: :nod:

tvtech02

Post #17 by tvtech02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Ok, I finally got my 302 engine completely rebuilt.Getting it ready for its initial startup but I have a question. After filling the engine with oil including filling the oil filter,I am going to remove the spark plugs and than turn the engine over for a few seconds at a time to get oil pressure up to 30/40 psi.I will also have the valve covers off so that I can make sure the rockers are getting oil to them. Is this a good idea or should I do it a different way? For those that have done this before,can you please let me know which is the procedure that you used to prime your engine.I am also going to put some break in oil additive to help with breaking the cam. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #18 by bubba22349 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:57 pm

I usally use an electric drill (1/2 inch drive) and an old distributor body with the bottom drive gear removed or else a socket to fit the oil pump drive shaft, to turn / prime the oil pump. Next turn the crank by hand a 1/4 of a turn and then prime the oil pump again, repeate this until you have turned the crank two compleate revaluations this will insure that all the parts & bearings have received plenty of oil so as not to have a dry start up. You can hook up a temp mechanical oil gauge to see how much oil pressure your getting while priming if you want. Yes checking to see all the rockers are getting oil is also a great idea. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:

tvtech02

Post #19 by tvtech02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks Bubba. I appreciate your great advice.Will post later after I get it running.