Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Question on my 302 engine?

Moderator: Mod Squad

tvtech02

Question on my 302 engine?

Post #1 by tvtech02 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 pm

Hello everyone, after getting the oil pump all primed up and everything connected,I did an initial break in by running the engine at 2500 rpm constantly to break in the cam.It does have flat tappets.I wanted to give it a good 20 to 30 minute fast idle run but after about 10 minutes,the temp. rises to about 205 degrees.At this point,I shut the engine off to prevent any damage to the engine.The radiator is new,new thermostat and has new top and bottom hoses.Also the heater hoses are new. I understand that all parts being new,there will be friction so the engine will run somewhat hot but it shouldn't run this hot,right. I have not been able to set the exact timing cause I am not able to run the engine at idle due to the fact that it would damage the cam lobes. I also understand that since the car is not moving,there is not enough air hitting the radiator.Do any of you have any suggestions or idea's as to what may be causing the engine to run this hot? The fan is original 5 blade fan.The fan is really close to the radiator. The only thing I don't have is a fan shroud. Do you think that installing a shroud will help with this overheating problem? Thanks for any and all your help.

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Question on my 302 engine?

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Sat May 04, 2019 3:46 pm

tvtech02 wrote:Hello everyone, after getting the oil pump all primed up and everything connected,I did an initial break in by running the engine at 2500 rpm constantly to break in the cam.It does have flat tappets.I wanted to give it a good 20 to 30 minute fast idle run but after about 10 minutes,the temp. rises to about 205 degrees.At this point,I shut the engine off to prevent any damage to the engine.The radiator is new,new thermostat and has new top and bottom hoses.Also the heater hoses are new. I understand that all parts being new,there will be friction so the engine will run somewhat hot but it shouldn't run this hot,right. I have not been able to set the exact timing cause I am not able to run the engine at idle due to the fact that it would damage the cam lobes. I also understand that since the car is not moving,there is not enough air hitting the radiator.Do any of you have any suggestions or idea's as to what may be causing the engine to run this hot? The fan is original 5 blade fan.The fan is really close to the radiator. The only thing I don't have is a fan shroud. Do you think that installing a shroud will help with this overheating problem? Thanks for any and all your help.

205 isn't so Hot, did you turn on the heater so that any trapped air that's in the cooling system can get out? You can also raise the front of the car or park it on a slight incline (rad. cap off for awhile) so that it helps to burp it getting all the air out of the cooling system. Do you have an overflow / recovery tank on the radiator? If you have a plug in electric fan or two you can place them in front of the car to help move some extra air through the radiator. Yes a fan shroud will diffenately be a big help to keep the engine tempature from rasieing when the car is stopped still or is moving slowly in stop and go traffic. Lastly if you can't do much that helps with keeping the temperature down, then run the engine in short bursts Shutting it down to let it cool down again until you get the cam broke in then do the tuning last. As soon as it's all gets dialed in it will run a bit cooler too. One other thing you can do latter on is to add a thermostatic type clutch fan, this gives you fan operation during the times you need it yet shuts it off when engine temps are lower to save on fuel and also gain back some power too. Good luck :thump: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

tvtech02

Re: Question on my 302 engine?

Post #3 by tvtech02 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Thank you very much bubba for your great help. I am going to do the things you mention here to see if I can lower the temp.on this engine. You are correct in the fact that there may be some air trapped inside the engine.I will raise the front of the engine up in the morning and leave the cap off and run the engine again to see if that does the trick. Have a good day.