AX15 in a Bronco with a I6

Moderator: Mod Squad

jimmyv65

AX15 in a Bronco with a I6

Post #1 by jimmyv65 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:46 pm

I am in process on swapping from the 3 speed to an AX15. I am most of the way through it and have started to see some lessons learned to pass along.

Advance Adapter(AA) Adapters: The adapter plate at the front and to the transfer case work fine. This assumes you have a big bell 200 or a 250. You need the V-8 butterfly bolt pattern on the bell housing.
    Clutch The clutch is a messy purchase. You need a Chevy 11" pressure plate and a Ford Clutch kit where you'll throw out the pressure plate. The Chevy plate is needed to get the right spline count. The right plate is sold on the AA website.
    Length AA advertises that this swap doesn't change the trans/transfer total length. That may be true for the V8 but not for us I6er's. The factory transfer case adapter for the I6 is a different length. So, you will need to get your driveshafts adjusted. The new AX15 is 4.5" longer.
    Trans/Transfer Mount The Advance Adpater plate won't work. With the length difference, nothing lines up. I am in process on building my own. I will post some pictures when I am done.
    Exhaust Your set up may be different than mine, we ran my exhaust over the top of the factory trans/transfer mount. With the new set up, I am going to need to adjust the exhaust. The AX15 is wider and I need to lower the exhaust
    Stabbing it Home Stabbing that trans back in is a b*tch! I suppose it is on any vehicle, but with the transfer case on the back, it is real interesting. Plan for blood and cussing

Has anyone else on this site done this swap? I think this info applies to the NV3500 swap. I think that is the same kit.
1966 Bronco-'78 250-Meagsquirted TBI, DUI, Header, Cam, Hydroboost & Front Disc, Uncut, 1" body lift, 2.0" suspension lift

bmbm40

Re: AX15 in a Bronco with a I6

Post #2 by bmbm40 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:54 pm

I remember that. The AA kit is easier with a v8 but with a six the Clutch/Driveshaft length/Trans mount were a challenge. AA fixed me up with the clutch parts right away and the trans mount got modified. And of course the drive lines got worked on.
But what a great improvement!
Was the M50D ever a consideration for you?
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

New guy? Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and Ford six high performance parts from https://vintageinlines.com

jimmyv65

Post #3 by jimmyv65 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:57 pm

bmbm40 wrote: Was the M50D ever a consideration for you?

I've heard good things on it. I liked the gearing a little better on the AX15 and I wanted a divorced bellhousing. I wanted the option to stay with a manual clutch vs. hydro. I wasn't sure on that with the M50D.
1966 Bronco-'78 250-Meagsquirted TBI, DUI, Header, Cam, Hydroboost & Front Disc, Uncut, 1" body lift, 2.0" suspension lift

bmbm40

Post #4 by bmbm40 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Yes those are valid considerations. After my NV3550 was all in I started adding up what it cost and it was kind of expensive. The fact that the M50 did not require the adapter to the block was attractive to me after the fact as I could have saved money on that part.
You will enjoy that five speed driving!
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

New guy? Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and Ford six high performance parts from https://vintageinlines.com

jimmyv65

Post #5 by jimmyv65 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 am

bmbm40 wrote:Yes those are valid considerations. After my NV3550 was all in I started adding up what it cost and it was kind of expensive. The fact that the M50 did not require the adapter to the block was attractive to me after the fact as I could have saved money on that part.
You will enjoy that five speed driving!

Yeah, I am excited to give 5 speed motoring a try. I am out of town for a bit, so the project is on hold until later this month.