Talk me off a cliff.. or over it..

Moderator: Mod Squad

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Talk me off a cliff.. or over it..

Post #1 by CoupeBoy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:07 am

There's a guy on my locally selling a basketcase 1976 Bronco. My wishlist for cars is fairly short and a first gen Bronco is on it.
I aint a pretty sight in the ad, but here it is.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Hard to see in the pictures is a bent8 under the passenger seat in a pile :bang: and it is an automatic (C4) Not pictured he says it has complete running gear. The seller isn't exactly anxious to sell, I started asking him prices back on May 19 and it took until last night to finally get a number out of him (asking $500). I have requested more pictures and to know if he has the title.

So seeing the pictures and having worked on these (which I have not) what are the most important things to get? I'm assuming the big components
Frame and running gear (axles/steering)
Motor/Trans (motor optional :rolflmao: I have a 250, 240, and 300 on my shop floor)
Tub
Fenders/hood/doors/topper
Is glass hard to find? (looks like the windshield is missing)
bumpers (optional -- I'll probably make new ones along with some rock sliders)

But are there any fiddly bit, heater cables, hard to find bolts? Any parts that are not remanufactured or reproduced? The pictures don't show any dash and that the cowl is missing too..

FWIW, the next closest prospect, these things just never really took off in this neck of the woods (prairie/plains)
This one has the rare 240.. although the manual Trans and PTO are attractive, the body is beat up pretty badly.
'66 Ford Bronco - $2500
'66 Ford Bronco. Everything runs good. 240 6 cylinder engine, 3 speed manual transmission, four wheel drive. Tires are fair, interior and exterior need work. Includes 6 foot western plow and PTO winch. Plows great and starts great in the winter time. Asking $2500 or best offer.

At this time, I'm thinking.. rolling chassis with title is worth his asking price, even if the only thing I did was bolt it together and flip it..

Thoughts? concerns? opinions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Mustang Daily Driver Rebuild (on hold for the Season 3/1/2015)
1963.5 Falcon Convertible Build (just getting started 3/15/2015)
Case 1830 Skidsteer FordSix Repower Thread (started 4/4/2015)
1970 170/C4
1967 200/C4
1965 240/bellhousing/flywheel/clutch/3.03 bell pattern
1975 250/flexplate
1975 300/flywheel

ludwig
VIP Member

Re: Talk me off a cliff.. or over it..

Post #2 by ludwig » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

Looks like a candidate for two man-cave sofas.

Dude, drive out to your relatives in Oregon and get a west coast beast. They will have rust but not salt rust. That is one beat up pup..

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #3 by CoupeBoy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:01 pm

I'm trying to be realistic..
A fiberglass tub would run me about $5k, galvanize the frame and never worry about rust again.
1966-77 Ford Bronco Fiberglass Body Tub
Or for a little more..
Wild Horses.com -- Extreme Fiberglass Body Kit

Fire up the Portland OR Craigslist.. and compare.. the following listings are as I find them.
And I hear what you are saying, but the entry price is significantly higher and there is no guarantee that the quality is any better (the magic of photos taken at the correct angle)
72 bronco - $3500 (johnson creek)
Ain't no way I'm spending $7k AND finding all his hidden rust
1970 ford bronco project - $7000 (Vancouver)
sellin my 70 bronco it's a running driving project I've been workin on for about four months now ,just like most broncos will need a few rust repair panels here and there but not bad atall for a bronco a person with the least amount of experience doing panel replacement would have no problem .exterior panels all real solid and pretty straight .

Aweful lot of diamond plate hiding the rockers, and what's up with the wet spots when you open the tail gate?
1974 Ford Bronco - $8500 (Okanogan)
This one is striking me as particularily ugly.. I don't get the appeal of having only wheel flares on the rear, or if you are going to have them, at least paint them body color.. And the roll bar looks like a semi-tire safety cage (used when inflating them). For 12k, I expect at least a modern 5 speed transmission (nv3550 or comparable)
1972 Ford Bronco - $12000 (Portland)
Like this guy, he has matching fender flares, a decent bent8/ZF combo, but I feel that he over did it on the diamond plate (what's that hiding) and why isn't the body all the same color? Missing interior door panels, and no pictures of the passenger side. (red flag)
1971 Bronco - $12500 (Gladstone )
Asking $6k, but I'm still not feeling that it is a significantly higher quality project.
1971 ford bronco - $6000 (Madras)
From pictures I find no obvious faults, I'd have to stare at the fender flare bolts for a while to determine if they would bug me long term or not, and why aren't there any pictures of the interior? Is there a back seat or not? (ALL CAPS DRIVES ME NUTS TOO)
1973 FORD BRONCO 4X4 NEW PAINT NEW INTERIOR BUILT 351-W AUTO PS NICE ! - $15650

This Nissan Patrol is doing it right.. Pics of all the goodies, a nice description. If this were a Bronco ad, he would be winning.. but its a Nissan..
1969 Nissan Patrol 4x4 $5500 OBO - $5500 (Troutdale)

Internet shopping is hard :bang:
1970 170/C4
1967 200/C4
1975 250/flexplate
1975 300/flywheel

bmbm40

Post #4 by bmbm40 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:59 pm

It all depends on how much rust it has. If the rust is minimal and normal like just floors and rockers and you are ready for a project that size 500 is good. If you got it for 300 even better. I am assuming the tub is on the frame. It is uncut which is good. If it has a v8 and you want a six you will have to weld on the six stuff for the motor mounts. Broncos are easy to work on. You have the best six for it already with the 250.
240 is rare because they never came in the Bronco stock.
Best thing is to go to classicbroncos.com- they are nice people on the forum just like this place and all the Bronco vendors advertise on there. Lots of new repro stuff is available and used parts seem plentiful and priced ok.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

New guy? Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and Ford six high performance parts from https://vintageinlines.com

ludwig
VIP Member

Post #5 by ludwig » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:54 pm

That first photo shows a bunch of what looks like dropped ceiling channel. You could get part of the outlay back with a little night work. (Dude, if you gotta ask, you're not feeling it.)

Livin' the dream. Dad n' daughter.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #6 by CoupeBoy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:23 pm

The problem is that I am feeling it.. And while I am the one with the Bronco problem, I blame my wife for the push for a new project..

Saturday night we were sitting around a campfire in front of the barn and she says "I want an old pickup, what ever happened to Shiny Cardboard"

This is the truck referred to as 'Shiny Cardboard"
Interior is trashed, astro turf carpeting, seat cracked
It is safely sitting in the pasture North of Dad's barn, and farther out in the trees is this white '66

I bought the '65 eons ago (1998?) from a storage facility that the previous owner had abandoned it at. I have no title, and the cab is a complete rust bucket. When parked everything worked 302/c4/mustang floor shifter/all drum brakes rebuilt, new ignition switch/tumbler, all gauges and fuel sending unit were either rebuilt or replaced, all new wheel bearings in the front AND rear end, true dual exhaust that *had* new mufflers when parked (dumps right in front of rearend), the box is lined with a piece of plywood. If you read the posts in the saloon, this is the truck that pinned me against a garage door when I jumped the solenoid to start it (in gear -- but I'm not bitter)

Dad had a title for the '66 but he lost it, and the guy he bought it from passed away years ago, and it is not really in that much better shape.

I could buy a replacement cab (with a title) and swap the inner fender wells from the '66 onto the '65, order up a bed wood kit and paint the whole thing a different color (she wants red).

But then she drops it on me that she wants a 4x4 with a "little" lift and some mud tires. I don't have any 4wd front axles of any sort. I do have a M5OD/Transfer case (also a ZF5 speed for a 2wd), so its a couple hundred more there.

so.. cab, inner fenders, box sides (note rust lower sides by running boards) I'd want to widen the rear fenders, have to build/buy a box floor, convert to 4wd (transmission/transfercase/front axle) re-upholster the seat, and paint the entire thing. (getting kinda deep). I always wanted to put this truck on a (2004+) Crown Vic front subframe and 4 link in the rear with the ZF5spd..

The problem I'm having is that it would only be a 2 person (3 max) vehicle and there are 4 of us. Plus I've always wanted an EB..

My biggest concern is not body damage but what is missing, its that I don't know a damned thing about EBs. They can't be too much different than a full sized 4wd, but I don't want to hap-hazard buy something and then realize later that it was missing some rare-as-hens-teeth part that costs more than the original purchase price.

I was kidding about the 240 in the craigslist ad being rare, I knew they were never installed in EBs from the factory. I wasn't kidding about installing a 300 in a Bronco though. I have an idea for a water pump that is NOT mounted directly into the motor but is still run via belt.

I am not assuming the tub is on the frame, otherwise I'd see shock/spring buckets in the front fender wheel openings.
1970 170/C4
1967 200/C4
1975 250/flexplate
1975 300/flywheel

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #7 by bubba22349 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:47 pm

An EB for that price is great, I probably would take a chance on it. Their really simple bare bones, so no hard to find parts and glass is all flat so easy to get cut. I am also feeling the 300 swap too, awhile back seen one EB that was stretched into a four door too that would give you plenty of seating. :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #8 by CoupeBoy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:12 pm

I've seen a few stretched EBs on the internet and they all look nice. However, also on the short list is a
'67-79 F250 CC/SB -- There was one for sale in Fergus Falls MN a couple months ago for $1000, but when the seller describes it as 'really rusty' I have a tenancy to run away.. I missed out on a nice looking one, not last Fall, but the Fall before, it was a '76 F250 360/4spd had been stored in a barn in Litchville ND for the last 20 years $2250.

I called Dad who lives over about 20 miles from there and by the time he called the seller, it was gone! :bang:

I may have to sell a few things, to free up some space and some capital.. But then again, my wife did ask what I wanted for Father's Day. :rolflmao:

66WarPony

Post #9 by 66WarPony » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:11 pm

CoupeBoy, I'm on the wagon and say go for it. $500 sounds fair, all things considered, and judging by the pictures, it looks like a good project. If you already have a power plant to drop in and are willing to do the work, you're already ahead of the game. I wish mine had cost me $500 and not $3500, I've already got twice as much into it (because I have a couple extra motors laying around in case I blow one when I try my hand at turbocharging) but nonetheless, I persist despite every person that passes my house offering to buy it. Good luck and keep us posted, we all want you to succeed.
Present: '89 Bronco XLT, 302 (no I don't like it, I'm just stuck with it at the moment), Bassani Shorty's, 4" Lift, 33" Grabbers

Upcoming: Hoping to get back in the EB game if the opportunity presents itself

"If you want to know about something, read a book." - Dad