Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

Shopping For a Bronco

Moderator: Mod Squad

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Re: Shopping For a Bronco

Post #51 by CoupeBoy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:29 pm

We had been shopping for a 4x4 with 4 seats, space for the dog, with a full removable top.
That limited us to first gen Blazers, Broncos, and any Scout.
Jeeps were not considered due to family bias. (although a Willy's would have been considered had one showed up)

And the one I got was free from Dad, that made the decision easier.

I hadn't heard back from the local Tractor salvage yard regarding whether or not he had confirmed that he had a transmission, so I kept looking and yesterday I may have found 2 more complete Scouts for a price I'm willing to pay.
Both with motors and automatic transmissions, one with a title, the other without.

No Title
1975 Scout II
00S0S_87kQCZbuyo6_1200x900.jpg

Has Title
Was daily driven 2 years ago, this one might just be drievable...
1977 Scout II
00909_c5Y71ILgTxE_1200x900.jpg

I'll let you know once this gets finalized and home.

I clearly need to do more Scout research, one thing I've realized is that the previous 3 Scout II's have sliding rear windows.

But the other one at Dad's house has fixed glass for the side windows.
year -- unknown
Title -- missing
304/4speed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #52 by CoupeBoy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:01 pm

And I snoozed a little too long, the other Scouts sold this morning.
Life lessons about craigslist.. move fast, or forget about it.

-ron

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #53 by CoupeBoy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:55 am

Found and bought another one, no snoozing this time.
1979 Scout II -- Fargo Craigslist
The 1979 F-150 park next to it is not for sale, its a long bed step side 300/3OTT. (I tried)
Ulen1.jpg

Ulen2.jpg

I took cash, a car trailer, 5 gallons of fresh gas, and a fully charged AGM battery.
It popped off right away with some gas down the carb, the fuel gauge read "full" but there was no fuel getting to the carb.
I dumpted in 3 gallons, and started it again a couple times with gas in the carb, and it finally started to run on its own, well enough to be driven onto the car trailer.
Over the weekend, I dismantled the carb, one of the floats were stuck and a small piece of the thermoplastic bowl had to be glued back on under the fuel jets (right under the metering rods)
And then a new fuel pump to replace the previous owners conglomeration of a mechanical fuel pump that fed into an electric fuel pump.
The mechanical fuel pump worked very infrequently, and I think the electric fuel pump is a 'pusher' not a 'puller', so while it worked when I put a fuel tank up on the fender, it would not pump fuel when trying to pull through the mechanical pump.
$22 at O'Reilly and a couple feet of new fuel line and a clear plastic fuel filter, temporary so I can monitor the amount of rust in the fuel system. It now starts and runs with a minor bog on acceleration because the accelerator pump is stuck. I need to do a full rebuild or replacement of the carb.

This one is going to donate some very important parts, drive train mainly to the red/brown 78. And the tub and other body parts will be combined with the green one, I should be able to get 2 running/drive-able Scouts out of the 3 that I have now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chad

makin an IH SII

Post #54 by chad » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:10 pm

" ...one out of the 3 I have now."
sounds like the 1st 3 yrs of my bronk ownership (late 80s).

may B a forth?:

"...Enjoy it.
I bet you'll make it great, enjoy it (want the Izuzzu diesel 6 they had in some?)
that's an oem engine."
Nissan or Isuzzu supplied the SII diesel.
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #55 by CoupeBoy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:53 pm

I've seen a few of the diesels for sale, this guy has 2 for rebuildable cores.
I want to be able to drive the Scout any time of the year, and the old diesels are not all that great when its -15f.
SD33T diesel - $750 (Minneapolis) -- craigslist

chad

Post #56 by chad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Thanks for the pic !!!

"...drive the Scout any time of the year…"
problems?
none here & they use soy oil (even tougher) yr. round
(easiest compare is 2 look @ the planter's climate zones map).
we're @ 5 & 6… till climate change/g. warming continues it's march north.

It' what Mr. Diesel invented/ran his engine on, cheep, readily available,
easy to use, even some houses here have it for cent. heating.

Just nother option (for some).

that motor wuz a 6 & turboed in the SII & Traveler (SD33TD).
Non-computer controlled and line pump so U could "turn it up".
"Big thing is only make one change at a time. Change 2 or more things at a time it becomes difficult to figure which change helped or hurt" turbo2256b » 1/16/2017
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11), 250, NV 3550 & DSII to B transplanted, "T" D20/PTO, 2" SL, 1" BL, 4 discs, 33"X15", tool boxes, etc. Seeking: Hydraulic gear motor for Koenig pto. chrlsful@aol.com (413) 259-1749

CoupeBoy
VIP Member

Post #57 by CoupeBoy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:40 pm

I've gelled up diesels with #2 during previous winters, tractors.

My pickup has a 6.0L diesel and once the high temps fall below and stay below freezing (32f) I only run winter blend or #1. I'd actually love to find some soy (biodiesel) as it is the very best injector cleaner recommended on the powerstroke.org forums to clean the injectors. I ran some last year, but was unable to find any this year.

chad

building a Scout II, Y not diesel?

Post #58 by chad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:52 pm

In this, "the 5 College Area", almost every other biz is a restaurant. Out back R huge tanks where they dump their fryilator oil. We roll by w/a 55 drum, hose'n hand pump. We dangle the hose near the top (cleaner) & crank away. They're not locked 'n the managers don't care cuz they pay to have it trucked away. Huge recycler (regional) comes by w/a semi, pumps, charges, processes it hr'n a half away, sells it for big bucks.

When we get home we store it on the hill so it can run down w/o an elec. pump ($ charges). The tank is in a a Taylor outdoor wood furnace that heats the house'n garage (a lill domestic H2O too). We have some window screen then a canister drop-in filter to screen out the chicken bits in line, a few other low tech bits. When it gets down the garage goes inta nother tank, some additives, & inta the vehicle. Start up is on the aux tank w/ diesel, a mile down the rd we switch to the soy main tank. Commin home, same thing - mi or so B4 the frnt door switch to the diesel. This keeps the line from cloggin up. Some have a coil in the tank for heat & run the soy full time (VeDubs, Mercedies, mine - a 240 wolwo DL wagon, etc).

We do not make 'biodiesel'. That has a lot of additives (lime, ETHO, etc). A local coop (members chip in just like community supported agriculture) just build a 'biodiesel' plant w/government grant help (public/private partnership). Our access to this soy will B severely curtailed when it opens. We see locks showin up on a few restaurant tanks already…this hippy dippy biodiesel plant will drive up the waste oil (food grade) price. We may try'n figure out (houses'n vehicles) how to do it w/crankcase oil or sompin else…

~We live cheep, wrk hard, enjoy bein wily (inventive), AND have fun as a community. Yankee Ingenuity.~