Help, coil spring retainer bolts rusted...

Moderator: Mod Squad

brandoncw

Help, coil spring retainer bolts rusted...

Post #1 by brandoncw » Tue May 09, 2017 1:12 pm

I got a front end for my f150 for my 4x4 conversion. I plan giving it a tune up so i don't have to pull it apart again to replace things. But before i can even so much as use this front end i have to figure out a way to fix/replace the studs that bolt the coli spring to the axle. Should it just be threaded in and pull out with a big a** pipe wrench, or will i have to torch it out and use a bolt as a replacement somehow?
The nut and bolt is wayyyy past the point of a lil pb blaster. Please help

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Re: Help, coil spring retainer bolts rusted...

Post #2 by bubba22349 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:57 am

brandoncw wrote:I got a front end for my f150 for my 4x4 conversion. I plan giving it a tune up so i don't have to pull it apart again to replace things. But before i can even so much as use this front end i have to figure out a way to fix/replace the studs that bolt the coli spring to the axle. Should it just be threaded in and pull out with a big a** pipe wrench, or will i have to torch it out and use a bolt as a replacement somehow?
The nut and bolt is wayyyy past the point of a lil pb blaster. Please help

:hmmm: Looks like you might be stuck and need to go mid evil on them, if there's no hope after soaking them good with PB Blaster. You could also try to heat around them too then squirt them with some more PB and few times then heat again and grab your vice grips or pipe wrench. Good luck :nod:

A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brandoncw

Post #3 by brandoncw » Wed May 10, 2017 12:57 pm

bubba22349 wrote: :hmmm: Looks like you might be stuck and need to go mid evil on them, if there's no hope after soaking them good with PB Blaster. You could also try to heat around them too then squirt them with some more PB and few times then heat again and grab your vice grips or pipe wrench. Good luck :nod:

Does the bolt go through both sides of the axle? If so could i just cut the nut off with a torch, use an air hammer to knock out the old bolt, and get a correctly sized grade 8 bolt? The threads, the sides of the nut, and the entire washer is gone due to rust

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:55 pm

brandoncw wrote:
bubba22349 wrote: :hmmm: Looks like you might be stuck and need to go mid evil on them, if there's no hope after soaking them good with PB Blaster. You could also try to heat around them too then squirt them with some more PB and few times then heat again and grab your vice grips or pipe wrench. Good luck :nod:

Does the bolt go through both sides of the axle? If so could i just cut the nut off with a torch, use an air hammer to knock out the old bolt, and get a correctly sized grade 8 bolt? The threads, the sides of the nut, and the entire washer is gone due to rust

Yes the bolt goes all the way from bottom to top the same bolt holds the axle radius rods, they are a special bolt and can run about 20.00 or more from Ford per side. I don't know for certain but the bolts in your 2x4 Twin I Beam may be the same. One thing else you could try is to split the nuts with a grinder, a good cold chisel, or an air chisel if you have one. If you can cut most of the way through the nut from both side it will release the rust and you should be able to break the nuts loose without damaging the bolts. There will be a second nut under the coil spring pocket too. Once you get both nuts off keep soaking the bolts with the PB Blaster then use a breaker bar with pipe cheater to break them loose you can use a floor jack to keep the socket tight against the radius arm. Be carful though cause a cheater bar adds a lot more twisting torque to a 1/2 inch drive socket and breaker bar some cheap one will shatter if you have a 3/4 or 1 inch drive set all the better. Good luck :nod:

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

brandoncw

Post #5 by brandoncw » Wed May 10, 2017 11:50 pm

bubba22349 wrote:
Yes the bolt goes all the way from bottom to top the same bolt holds the axle radius rods, they are a special bolt and can run about 20.00 or more from Ford per side. I don't know for certain but the bolts in your 2x4 Twin I Beam may be the same. One thing else you could try is to split the nuts with a grinder, a good cold chisel, or an air chisel if you have one. If you can cut most of the way through the nut from both side it will release the rust and you should be able to break the nuts loose without damaging the bolts. There will be a second nut under the coil spring pocket too. Once you get both nuts off keep soaking the bolts with the PB Blaster then use a breaker bar with pipe cheater to break them loose you can use a floor jack to keep the socket tight against the radius arm. Be carful though cause a cheater bar adds a lot more twisting torque to a 1/2 inch drive socket and breaker bar some cheap one will shatter if you have a 3/4 or 1 inch drive set all the better. Good luck :nod:

Of thanks, I'll figure something out this weekend. And I've had my fair share of exploding ratchets, mostly harbor freight, but also a snap on, that was interesting trying to get the snap on guy to replace :lol:

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #6 by bubba22349 » Thu May 11, 2017 12:07 am

:rolflmao: Yes That's for sure they don't want to believe that their stuff will break good luck :nod: :thumbup:

brandoncw

Post #7 by brandoncw » Fri May 12, 2017 11:22 pm

bubba22349 wrote:

so, the bolts broke with just a good tug on the pipe wrench, so they are no good lol. Do you know what the part is called so I can order new ones? ive searched high and low trying to find the part but have had no luck

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #8 by bubba22349 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:29 am

:bang: bummer, but if they were that weak thats probally a good thing they did break. On the TTB front axle Ford calls the Arms "Radius Arms" I would assume that they would then be called the Radius Arm bolts or studs. I don't have a factory repair manual though to verify that or to be able to look up their part number. Over on the Ford Truck site,

ford-trucks.com

there is a guy called the "NumberDummy" he is a retired Ford parts man and should have access to those Ford part numbers. A good aftermarket source for Bolts hardware that you could try is Fastenal after you get all the bolt spec's measured as to the diameter, length, and thread size. Good luck :nod:

This is a Link to one of NumberDummy's posts.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6287 ... dummy.html