Performance Improvements - Suspension Req’d

Moderator: Mod Squad

Matthew68

Performance Improvements - Suspension Req’d

Post #1 by Matthew68 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking to refresh the suspension on my 1968 200ci. Mostly stock, with some larger 15 inch wheels/tires. Long term, I'm aiming for the aluminum cylinder head modification when they come available again, but otherwise nothing else crazy. It will be 100% street car, joy rides, etc.

I've been compiling suspension and steering components on paper, and mostly the replacement 6cyl parts (tie rods, coil springs, UCA/LCA, strut rod bushings, 4 leaf springs etc.).

My question - is it worth the effort to beef up suspension to V8 specs for my planned upgrades? Or with what I hope to do down the road be just fine with the stated parts I plan to replace? I'm not interested in a super stiff ride due to mostly pleasure driving, but I don't want to replace parts shortly down the line and would rather do it all in one, fell swoop.

What about the rear end? Currently have the stock 6cyl with 2.83 gears.

Cheers,
M

Edit: this is cross posted to steering and suspension. After a few days of no response, I’m not certain anyone regularly reviews that forum. Apologies if this is against site rules.
1968 Mustang Coupe 200ci - Pertronix + Coil
Gulfstream Aqua - Interior + Exterior

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Re: Performance Improvements - Suspension Req’d

Post #2 by 65coupei6 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:01 pm

I guess it depends on your budget. Do you want to stay 4-lug and use 4-lug rims? Thinking of swapping to 5-lug for more rim choices?

Do it once right and don't go back!

What if your rear goes out some day? It is harder to find stock parts. 8" parts are easy to come by.

I would check out OpenTracker Racing or Street or Track. Might as well add CSRP if you plan on disc brakes.

This is my setup on steering/suspension/brakes.

Subframe connectors, homemade export brace/montecarlo bar, zray's lower crossmember, 8" rear w/trac-loc, rear discs, front discs, shelby drop, opentracker boxed lower roller arms, stock uppers, global west adjustable strut rods, 1" sway bar, roller idler arm, solid adjusting sleeves, 5 leaf rear springs w/lowering blocks (old mustangs plus brand), Ridetech HQ coilovers, ridetech HQ rear shocks.

Hope that helps.
...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. VI (CI) Aluminum Head, Holley 350, Schneider 264/274 cam,
Headers, DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

Build That Six With Parts From VintageInlines.com

Matthew68

Post #3 by Matthew68 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:58 am

Thanks for the response, Marco.

I did leave our budget, sorry about that. I’m looking at $5-600 for the entire setup. I’ve compiled these parts online for that price, plus or minus. Most of the components are Moog.

It’ll mostly be street driving, so spending a huge amount of money on performance suspension when I don’t plan to race or have the welding skills is not in my ballpark at this time. I have other items for the car that I need to do at this time.

In reference to the rear end and 5 lugs - will my estimated performance engine mods require a new rear end? Or will the falcon driveshaft, C4 and standard rear end be able to handle it? If so, I would lean to keeping my current wheel tire setup. If it’s not going to hold up, might as well change.

Appreciate the insight!

Cheers,
M

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Post #4 by 65coupei6 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:57 am

I understand your budget. But there is a night and day difference in handling from stock. Everything I mentioned early does not need welding skills. Even my subframe connectors where bolt-in. Then I brought it to a muffler shop and paid the guy $60 to weld them in afterwards.

Even if you go to the aluminum head later on. Your rear, C4 & driveshaft will be fine.

But, if you want to stick with moog components. I would call John @ Opentracker Racing http://opentrackerracing.com/product-ca ... 9-mustang/ Tell him what you want.

At a minimum. I would still put in a 1" sway bar (can be done at a later date). Roller perches, Bilstein shocks ( I hated my KYB's). See if you can find some extra cash for adjustable strut rods. Don't forget the front springs.

The Shelby drop is basically free. http://dazecars.com/dazed/drop.html All you do is line up the templates that can be found free or purchased and drill new holes. If you are going to change the upper arms you might as well do it.

Lastly, do not use the stock alignment specs. Dazecars has them posted. Or just ask John.

Hope this helps.
...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. VI (CI) Aluminum Head, Holley 350, Schneider 264/274 cam,

Matthew68

Post #5 by Matthew68 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm

This helps big time, thank you.

The Arning drop seems like a no-brainer. From my research, for 1968 it looks like the new holes should be 1" lower and not set back. Is that correct? The template on open tracker looks like it's back a bit, but it could just be a stock photo used for all templates.

For coils, should I stick with the 6cyl springs? Or is there any benefit to go with one of the V8 springs? I was initially planning on just the 6cyl as I don't feel I'll have the weight for the V8 ones and I'm not looking for a super stiff ride (remember - street use only).

For shocks, I have a newer (1 yr) set of KYBs in the front and back. For me now, they are doing fine so I'll stick with those.

For leaf springs, if I'm dropping the front is it recommended to drop the back? I have the 4 leafs now. Again, not looking for something super stiff so I was going to stay away from the 5 leaf. 4.5 mid eye piqued my curiosity, but wasn't sure if that would lower the car too much or stiffen the ride too much.

Thanks so much for all of your help, Marco. Appreciate the responses.

Cheers,
M

65coupei6
Assistant Admin

Post #6 by 65coupei6 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Yes, for your year the holes should be 1" lower.

On the 65-66 I like the 480# springs, NPD sells them. Not, sure on your year. But they should ride the same. I had the V8 springs and they where pretty stiff.

The shelby/arning drop does not lower the car completely 1". I would leave the rear springs alone and see how you like it. You can always lower the rear later on.
...Marco