1968 F100 power steering mod

Moderator: Mod Squad

Blairsville Ed

1968 F100 power steering mod

Post #1 by Blairsville Ed » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:23 am

I just completed the installation of power steering on my 1968 F100, 2wd, 3 on the tree, using the Ford steering gear. The problem is it moved the steering wheel down 1-1/2” closer to the seat. It’s a tight fit getting my leg between the wheel and the seat. It measures 2-1/2” between the wheel and the seat.
Anyone do this mod and have the same problem ?

Blairsville Ed

Re: 1968 F100 power steering mod

Post #2 by Blairsville Ed » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 am

I was able to get more clearance by changing the gear location slightly.
I Removed the rag joint and put on a 3/4 shaft coupler to lock the column and gear together then I removed the steering gear bolts. There’s some play in the bolt holes so I moved the gear down as far as I could. I enlarged 2 of the holes in the frame from 7/16 to 1/2. That gave me the best alignment with the column and I gained 1 inch in clearance from the seat to the steering wheel. I locked everything in place and put the rag joint back in.
I used a different rag joint for my set up. It has a 3/4-36 spline on the gear side and a 3/4 double d profile for the steering shaft side. It’s a lot easier to cut the shaft and machine 2 flats on the shaft vs cutting and welding.
I might try to modify the front seat mounts. I could drop the front of the seat down 1 inch.
Has Anybody tried this?