Steering gear box 62 Comet

Moderator: Mod Squad

adamscm

Steering gear box 62 Comet

Post #1 by adamscm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Hello All, is anyone aware of a source where I could find a rebuilt (or new) steering gear box for my 62 Comet? Thanks, Chris
C. Adams
North Texas
62 Comet 2dr 144/200

62Cometman

Re: Steering gear box 62 Comet

Post #2 by 62Cometman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 am

I see that no one has replied, I have looked and looked myself and so far that ive seen no one makes a new or rebuilt unit your best bet is to have your original one rebuilt which that in an of itself is a challenge to find someone who can. Or to switch to a different style box or steering setup all together. Technically the 64-66 mustang unit would be a good replacement besides the main shaft being far too long. If you happen to know a good machinist they could cut and respline the shaft at the length you need but besides that theres no really good option. Various retailers like MAC's and Rock auto claim that if you send in your box they can rebuild it but i would highly suggest calling them first and discussing it with them as it may not be applicable to you. Though i would suppose that the Mustang boxes should internally be pretty much the same? in any case good luck with the search. If you find anything let me know id be interested in taking the slack out of my unit too! :beer:
1962 Mercury Comet 170 ci, Dagenham Trans, 2.83:1 7.25 rear.
She ain't fast but she's fun. 8)

adamscm

Re: Steering gear box 62 Comet

Post #3 by adamscm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:30 am

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t found anything either. I don’t know if a Falcon box/shaft is the same or not, but so far it seems not. My steering is still “ok,” but I am getting some play, and wouldn’t mind having a fresh box when I rebuild the rest of the front end. Chris
C. Adams
North Texas
62 Comet 2dr 144/200