Upper A-arm SHAFT bushings

Moderator: Mod Squad

Humpbackshooter

Upper A-arm SHAFT bushings

Post #1 by Humpbackshooter » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:25 pm

Hope one of guys here can help me out. Looking for the torque specs. for the bushings/end caps on the upper A-arm. I have got it ready to put back together and was going over torque setting and can not find what these are to be set at. I have looked through my shop manual for these setting but can't seem to find them. Would any of ya'll know? This is for the end caps that screw into the A-arm and hold the shaft that bolts to the side wall and holds the upper A-arm on. In the shop manual they call them bushings. I can find all the other setting-shock spring seat, shocks, rubber bumper, shock upper support. But I just can't seem to find this one. If you know, can you guide me to where it is in the manual.

Thanks,
Phil

B RON CO
VIP Member

Re: Upper A-arm SHAFT bushings

Post #2 by B RON CO » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi, I have replaced all the parts you are talking about and never used the torque wrench. Just nice and tight.
You can find general torque values in many manuals, for each size bolt.
Good luck
B RON CO. Still workin' on it!

1933 Ford Pickup - 59A Flathead V8
1966 Ford Bronco - U14 - 170/200 Straight 6
1966 Ford Mustang - 289 V8

Humpbackshooter

Post #3 by Humpbackshooter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:52 am

Thanks Ron for getting back. I looked the INTERNET over and couldn't find anything other than some saying 100-125FtPds. AND some said as you said.....nice and tight....and then put a tack weld on them. :shock:

Thanks,
Phil

bubba22349
Global Moderator

Post #4 by bubba22349 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:55 pm

X 2 it depends on your use! But if you were to tighten the bushings to 100 to 125 ft.lb. :shock: that would lock up them up so tight they wouldn't even move! Drag and other racers would set them a little loser than stock (sung) so that there is as little resistance as possable (then spot weld them in a few places) this is so the front end can rise for weight transfer. That torque setting you listed above is probally referring to the two bolts holding the shafts onto the chassis mount. Good luck :thumbup: :nod:
A bad day Drag Racing is still better than a good day at work!

I am still hunting for a project car to build but with my current low budget it's not looking so good. My Ex- Fleet of Sixes these are all long gone! :bang: 1954 Customline 223 3 speed with O/D, 1963 Fairlane project drag car with BB6, 1977 Maverick 250 with C4, 1994 F-150 a 300 with 5 speed.

Humpbackshooter

Post #5 by Humpbackshooter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Bubba....that is correct on the specs for the shaft to frame. I found a web site (http://dazecars.com/dazed/UCA.html) that has a very good teardown and rebuild. Some good stuff on this site too. He also said to tighten so so, but no specs.

Thanks,
Phil