Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40, mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry, rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad, drag-200stang, THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jimmys61falcon, rjonah, Sooshi, Robert92867, Invectivus

PLEASE TEST ON http://dev.fordsix.com

<<<***PLEASE READ*** New Site Update >>>

Drag Link Removal

Moderator: Mod Squad

Reinking

Drag Link Removal

Post #1 by Reinking » Sun May 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Need to replace the oil pan on my 1963 Falcon and am having problems removing the drag link. What am I missing. Dot have my fork tool handy but the last one I did came out with a little tapping.

Thanks

StarDiero75

Re: Drag Link Removal

Post #2 by StarDiero75 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Reinking wrote:Need to replace the oil pan on my 1963 Falcon and am having problems removing the drag link. What am I missing. Dot have my fork tool handy but the last one I did came out with a little tapping.

Thanks

I had to smack mine pretty hard with the fork to get it out. Sometimes they just get stuck
--1965 Ranchero w/1966 200, dual friction diaphram 9" Modern Driveline clutch and billet flywheel all balanced, 1985 SVO WC T5 with front shift, 1966 2.8 Ford 8", 2V converted built 1980 head, Autolite 2100 1.08, Dual out VI headers, Custom curved DUI, 256H Schneider cam 2.5 degrees advanced with dual roller chain, 2" exhaust with H pipe and Flowmaster 40s
--Creator of the only Weber 32/36 conversion video

Speedthrills

Post #3 by Speedthrills » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 pm

A fork will damage any grease seal present.
Loosen the nut (don't remove) and use a large hammer to strike the side of the part that the stud goes through.

rudyjoe

Post #4 by rudyjoe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:00 am

I realize this is probably a late post on this but for what its worth to those who will read this reply it will help you. I had to remove mine recently and yup the drag link tie rod ends were not budging at all. So i pulled out my lil torch and hit it with heat around the outer area on the knuckle that the tie rod bolt is in, after i removed the nut. No heat on anything else so it could expand and Geez it just about fell off within a couple of minutes! The other side was almost as easy but i did actually give it a "light tap" with a heavy hammer and thats all it took. No fork needed! You just need to do one side i think to lower it enough to clear the pan (on mine anyway) but i needed to replace my tie rods.
So hope it helps anyone in the future.
Rudyjoe - L.A.,Ca